SRAM XX1 (not 29er specific)

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Too soon after 10speed?? looks to be a fairly unique new setup though. The Chainring setup in particular.

Interesting that the pink bike blurb talks says aimed at all mountain & enduro, but the official SRAM PR says enduro & xc racing.
I guess it really is aimed at racers being XX

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like that they have engineered a 1x drivetrain from scratch. We've all tried to make it work (with varying levels of success) but the sad fact is we've been doing it with gear not engineered for that use.

Lukespook

Likes Bikes
Looks very interesting - I'd give it a try, but I fear that such a setup would be prohibitively expensive at the moment - (new derailleur, cassette, shifter and chain) especially at the xx level, and maybe not as durable as current 1x9 or 1x10 setups.
:hypnotysed:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A reply I made on another forum:

A solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Stupid.

I only run 1x set ups on all my bikes. I never have a problem with not having enough gears. I recently went from a 32 to a 35t chainring on my chumba because I was spinning out all the time. When will I ever use a 32x41 combination? And now there will be ANOTHER new hub standard. If you can't get up a hill with a 1:1 gear you're better off walking.

And these extra gears are stupid, the tollerances are getting tighter and tighter, this stuff will just wear out quicker. I'm still waiting for a 1x6 drivetrain to be released.

Also considering stocking up on xtr/xo quality 9spd stuff, I feel like an old man.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for change and moving forward. I love electronic shifting on road bikes, and 11 spd on road bikes. I like the new fox ctd stuff. But this looks like sram trying to recover from being caught on the back foot by the super high quality stuff shimano has been releasing of late (noting that they didn't make massive changes, just continued to refine what was good).

Ivan

Eats Squid
G-fish,

I run a 1x drivetrain, and believe ratios lower than 1:1 are useful.

Just because you don't need it the way you ride, for the distances you ride or the gradients you ride, doesn't mean other people don't.

I would love a reliable 10-40 cassette.

wintortree

Likes Dirt
G-fish,

I run a 1x drivetrain, and believe ratios lower than 1:1 are useful.

Just because you don't need it the way you ride, for the distances you ride or the gradients you ride, doesn't mean other people don't.

I would love a reliable 10-40 cassette.
Agreed

I hope it works well it will help to eliminate pedal bob which would be sweet.
I just went back to 2x10 because I was just wanting a little higher ratio. But would go strait back when this becomes available.

czecharch

Likes Dirt
A reply I made on another forum:

A solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Stupid.

I only run 1x set ups on all my bikes. I never have a problem with not having enough gears. I recently went from a 32 to a 35t chainring on my chumba because I was spinning out all the time. When will I ever use a 32x41 combination? And now there will be ANOTHER new hub standard. If you can't get up a hill with a 1:1 gear you're better off walking.

And these extra gears are stupid, the tollerances are getting tighter and tighter, this stuff will just wear out quicker. I'm still waiting for a 1x6 drivetrain to be released.

Also considering stocking up on xtr/xo quality 9spd stuff, I feel like an old man.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for change and moving forward. I love electronic shifting on road bikes, and 11 spd on road bikes. I like the new fox ctd stuff. But this looks like sram trying to recover from being caught on the back foot by the super high quality stuff shimano has been releasing of late (noting that they didn't make massive changes, just continued to refine what was good).
I'm always fascinated by this sort of response. SRAM believe that they have identified a market niche for a new product. They have gone through a process of engineering and manufacturing and voila; XX1. They believe that it will suit racers quite well.
I'm really not sure what is so threatening about this. Sure, it may mean that in the future other standards may become obsolete. This is inevitable. I can't imagine that you plan to hold onto your bike in its same configuration for the next 10 years. (maybe you do...Dunno). The point is that manufacturing has become much more flexible in the past few decades, and that there will inevitably be 'progress' whatever that means.
Also, I don't buy the argument that 11 speed will be less durable. Yes, perhaps by degrees, but certainly not noticeaby so. Maybe you might have to swap out your chain every 11 months rather than 12. Again, I don't know. I'm just speculating. Just as you are.
Or, maybe you could continue running your 1x9 or 1x10 or whatever. Probably be able to do that for at least another 5-10 years. Like I said, how long do you imagine you will hold onto your bike?
Funny that you mention 1x6. I had a 6 speed cassette on my road bike in 1984. Was pretty happy when they released 7 speed.
Roll with it I say.

M@DM!KE

Likes Dirt
Gotta love another "standard" for the industry. I love the 1x and innovative chainring. I was interested to see what chainring BCD would be and if XX1 chainrings would be able to be used on standard XX 80mm. SRAM says NO with a 76mm (new) standard. Sram certainly don't want consumers mixing and matching.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Gotta love another "standard" for the industry. I love the 1x and innovative chainring. I was interested to see what chainring BCD would be and if XX1 chainrings would be able to be used on standard XX 80mm. SRAM says NO with a 76mm (new) standard. Sram certainly don't want consumers mixing and matching.
Although nothing to stop you going out and getting a 32t chainring for 80 BCD and just running the rest of it setup... this looks to be just the thing :) I've got a powermeter crank so wont be changing to an XX1 crank anytime soon...