SS crank length

boyracer

Likes Dirt
I need to buy cranks for my rigid alloy/crabon 29er SS.
32 tooth front 'ring and 17/19 Dos ENO at rear. Also have a 21 tooth white Industries freewheel as well.

Adelaide trails mostly, but keen to go out n about on lightweight overnighters to woodend/goldfields trail/mawson trail...

I ride 175mm on my roadie and 26" MTB, 170mm on my track bike.

Stick to 175mm? Go longer for more torque...i.e 180mm?

Last edited:

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
It's only going to give you 3 percent more torque and will make spinning a bit more difficult.

I haven't ridden an oval chainring but I'd imagine that would make more difference but I think there's a couple that can't be used for SS duties.

I used to run 165mm cranks and 32-13 but that was for DH, used to smash the knees on XC.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm using 180mm cranks on my geared bike in Adelaide and have a lot of pedal strikes.

moorey

call me Mia
I've got a beautiful set of middleburn 180's I pulled off my ss if you're interested. The 32t uno ring is direct mount, and needs replacing, but the ranks are bonza. I dropped to 170mm, but I'm a little fella...and converted the ss hub to a 5 speed :behindsofa:

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
If you aren't super heavy the Middleburns' would be a solid choice, they flex quite a bit and smooth the ride out nicely.

Both my sets went in the scrap bin after they bent, too light for my heft.

notime

Likes Dirt
Stick to 175...
Yep 197cm tall and been single speeding on the same set of 180mm XT cranks for about 5 years. To help with fatigue I wanted 175's across all my bikes again so I recently changed to 175mm Next SL's with an AB oval ring, it's cheating!

So after saying that if anyone still wants some 180mm XT cranks with the granny mounts machined out PM me.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Thanks all.
I'm 193cms and not light so no middleburns for me.
I was surprised at the difference between my track bike and roadie in (perceived) torque and rpm available, so thought i'd ask the hive.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Hey BoyRacer... be sure to join the League of Adelaide Mountain Bike Singlespeeders (LAMBS) on Facebook