St Helens Trails

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
There's been associated chat about the St Helens trails in various other threads, but now that the network has expanded with several new trails opening recently I feel like it warrants its own stand alone placeholder so here we go. The other catalyst is that our annual club group ride were up there on the weekend to check it out, so it's fresh in the memory from an awesome weekend!

Official website can be found here. There's basically two sections of trails close to St Helens that are either accessed from the Flagstaff trailhead carpark, or from the Loila Tier shuttle point. From town it's about a 6km ride up the foreshore track and Town Link trail to the trailhead carpark, or a five minute drive. The ride from town is a nice warm up though, with the climb pretty gentle for the most part, and a nice series of switchbacks taking you up the steepest section.

Facilities at the trailhead are good. Toilets, a small cafe, merch shop, bike wash and seats to sit around chilling at the end of a run waiting for your mates or the next shuttle. The series of loops that kicks of from here are all very friendly trails, but good fun nonetheless with nice features thrown in occasionally to keep it interesting. The trails that kickoff from the Loila Tier shuttle point, are all steeper, faster and longer and will be of more interest to most here. Shuttles take about 15 minutes to get up the hill, and cost just over $10 a run if you buy several. They also do $10 on demand shuttles after 3:00pm. I will give a plug to Gravity Isle, the shuttle company here, as they were friendly, efficient, and did a tailored package for our group which was tremendous value, so if you are going to spend a couple of days there it's worth getting in touch with them to discuss what they can do.

Pick of the trails for mine from Loila Tier were:
  1. Send Helens, a wickedly fast, almost pedal free descent with stacks of doubles, gaps and big rock features if you want to take them all on, but everything is roll-able and b-lines are obvious and well sighted. Despite its black rating, unless you take on all the features it's really only at the level of about a Maydena green run!
  2. Icarus, which is accessed after a climb from the first section of Send Helens. This has some more rocky, technical features, and some nice berms to hit. At the bottom both Icarus and Send Helens can link up with Shucka, which is a decent sized jump line
  3. See Ya Later. Fast flowy descent but does need a fair bit of pedalling to keep the speed up.
I didn't get to ride Old Salty Dog, but the consensus from others was that the descent bits were very nice, but there's an annoying climb at the end to get back to the trailhead. Between Loila Tier and the Flagstaff trails you could easily have a day's worth of riding.

Our group also did the bottom half of the 42km Bay of Fires trail, from Ansons Bay Rd to Swimcart Beach, as the Blue Tier to Ansons section is currently closed. Reports from those who have ridden it say the first 12km of this trail is an awesome descent. The middle has 10km of forestry tracks, from the Ansons Bay Rd drop off point we rode around 4km of this before the single track starts again, and it's a bit of a slog, although it is undulating, so you do get some respite in between the pedaling. Once off the forestry the single track winds more up than down to a lookout through some pretty awesome granite boulder and grass tree country, before the final 7km is a beautifully flowy descent with a few jumps and rock slabs to take on before running out at Swimcart Beach.

There's a part 2 to the trail story but I am leaving a placeholder for it here for reasons to be outlined later

So, in summary it's a great network of trails, and there are more in the pipeline. I would say that it's probably the most family friendly of the networks in Tasmania, along with the Wild Mersey tracks. It will be interesting to see how trails go in summer, there's been a lot of rain recently around St Helens, and the trails were all dry and grippy. With an underlying substrates of mostly shale and granite based rock, I'd imagine things could get pretty dusty and loose, and you would need to take a lot of water on the longer rides. Still having a good winter riding destination is definitely a bonus!

Last plug, our group stayed at the Big 4 caravan park in St Helens which has sunk a fair few spandoulies in some dedicated mountain biking facilities. There's a bike washdown and servicing station, a dedicated bike lock up shed, both indoor and outdoor kitchen and dining areas including a wood fired pizza oven, and a big fire pit and outside seating. Pretty hard to top if you are in a group.

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I still haven't had a chance to sample the St Helens trails yet.
I think you're right with the trail conditions, it might be a tad on the dry and dusty side in summer but should be great winter riding.

PJO

in me vL comy
Nice write up @rangersac! I have been there in summer and winter, it is definitely better in winter. We were there on opening day last year and the dust was too much, couldn't follow anyone, had to be at least 20-30m behind for many of the lower level trails. Might be better now that it has had a good lot of rain it was still pretty fresh back then.

Send Helens is definitely the pick of the trails at Flafstaff and rivals Air-ya-garn at Derby. This one I think will hold up well in summer as well because the substrate has a bit more clay, was even a little slippy in the wet.

I too have only ridden the section from Anson's Bay Rd to Swimcart and agree that the first 3-4kms (out of 22km) was dull. Once the single track started it was fantastic, some amazing scenery and bush, and the track work was amazing in some sections which made for some really fun flowy descents to keep you entertained while you climbed to the top. Lots of options for jumps on that final descent too!

Overall the place was great for all our boys from 7-15yrs.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Awesome, we were going to take a year out from Tassie and stay on the mainland this year, going to Stromlo, Thredbo and others in that area after the bushfires but corona has killed the whole local holiday vibe.
Unscrupulous holiday providers keeping peoples cash because of closed borders and quick lockdown decisions by local governments, not worth booking anything till we are in the clear.

I got busted on the final 6km down hill stretch on the Bay of Fires in January this year, its was still very dry, very loose and very sketchy granite sand back then, so our plans to ride the St Helens trails got canned for a painkiller stacked visit to Maria Island, because that's all I was fit for.
This was my 3rd decent crash of the Christmas period, interestingly 2 of them happened on the BOF trail on loose sand, 1st one being only 3 days in to the trip.

We did 2 complete runs from Blue Tier to St Helens and an additional 1 maybe 2 shuttles of the top 16km.

I actually really liked the middle to end section of the BOF trail, the ~17 trail through grass trees and monolith granite boulders was awesome.

Here's a few more from the BOF 42km trail.

ozzybmx

^^^ the only 2 times for 3.5 weeks I didnt have long sleeves, kneepads and sometimes elbows on. Both the 42km BOF trail and both times I showed the ground some love.

First one was sorted with painkillers, sprained wrist and 2-3 fingers. Second one above was a bit of gravel rash and 3 busted ribs.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Pads for the win, although I must admit I left them off for the BOF trail as well as I thought it would be a sweaty affair. You'll be far from the last caught out though. Lots of the St H trails are so fast and flowy that having an off from a slow speed OTB in a rock garden or on a drop is pretty unlikely. Instead it'll be that missed corner at 30kph+ or the big send gone wrong which are going to do some damage.

ozzybmx

Pads for the win, although I must admit I left them off for the BOF trail as well as I thought it would be a sweaty affair. You'll be far from the last caught out though.
Hahaha, the young ladies at St Helens hospital had a bit of a chuckle, they reckon their weekend work had doubled since those trails went in.

Yeah it was pushing 30°C on our first BOF, an "epic trail" with 700m of climbing... pack the picnic, extra water and kick off the kneepads :rolleyes:

Stredda

Hahaha, the young ladies at St Helens hospital had a bit of a chuckle, they reckon their weekend work had doubled since those trails went in.
Tell them it's job security ;)

I was at the Wild Mersey trail opening and the Mayor gave the speech about how great the trails will be for the community and then comically said that the real reason for the trails was to keep the local hospital viable and then pointed me out in the audience standing there in a sling and broken collarbone and said "and there is their first customer":p

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Part 2 as promised above.

Thanks to some helpful folk at Gravity Isle and Break 'o Day council our group were fortunate enough to be granted a sneak preview of the dreaming pools trail that opened this weekend, hence why this post is coming now as we were sworn to social media secrecy. It's a 27km 'adventure' trail that kicks off from the Loila Tier shuttle point and winds its way through the hills behind St Helens. Beginning with a pacy descent for a few kms to get the heart rate pumping, you then have an extended climb through ironbark forest to another lookout point. From here begins a magnificent 4km descent of flat out speed and flowing cornering madness which had the tyres scrabbling for grip several times, but for mine is arguably the best flow trail in Tasmania. Once this finished you have a windy few km along Constable Creek which has a number of beautiful swimming holes and waterfalls where the braver souls amongst us washed away the sweat and dust from the descent. The trail then winds through several gullies with yet more waterfalls before a short section of fire trail links back into the network to return to Loila Tier. It is without a doubt a must ride trail, even more impressive than the Ansons Bay to Swimcart Beach trail we rode the following day.

Last edited:

Stredda

Looks great! Hopefully get time to check it out when I'm down there in a few weeks

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Part 2 as promised above.

Thanks to some helpful folk at Gravity Isle and Break 'o Day council our group were fortunate enough to be granted a sneak preview of the dreaming pools trail that opened this weekend, hence why this post is coming now as we were sworn to social media secrecy. It's a 27km 'adventure' trail that kicks off from the Loila Tier shuttle point and winds its way through the hills behind St Helens.

any steep climbs? is it single speedable?

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OMG !
Thank You for posting this - Now all need is Covid to go away and I'm there .

I rode the Trails last year when they opened and it was fantastic - so now i have a (nother ) reason to return

ozzybmx

Bushfire, burn off jumped containment lines.

Hope all are safe.

"It's extremely windy … the fire is out of control," he said.

"It's heading towards our mountain bike trails so we're working flat out at the trail head now trying to make sure we can evacuate and account for everybody and working with family and different crew operators to make sure we can do a good headcount."

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Will be a great double, st Helens and Derby. If wet do St Helens and the beach if dry Derby.
Looking forward to them when us Victorians are allowed.

nathanm

Eats Squid
So i rode dreaming pools Saturday. Still haven't decided if I'll ever ride it again.

Yes it has two amazing flow descents and the ride along constable creek will have trout fisherman crashing into every tree as they ogle pristine untouched trout nirvana but that last 7 odd kays. Oh and the dreaming pools are bloody cold but a fun feature.

After 20km i was actually enjoying myself but then i hit the fire trail.. A fire trail climb, come on. It's like they ran out of money. Worst still the area is forestry so you share it with motards, 4wd and wood hookers. Some one is going to get hurt or killed.

The last 4 kays is a relentless climb, though perfectly built, straight outta the IMBA guide. Even a fat unfit bloke like me rode the whole thing without pushing.

It's definitely a e-mtb trail for my money or one for the xc crew. I just don't think 10km of outstanding trail justifies the 20km of average and shit ones.

ozzybmx

I dont mind a climb for a scenic ride. The fire track routing idea is shit though... but give it time, they might have $$$ constraints at the moment, maybe a vollie group can sort out the shitty bits in the next few years.