Standing up exercises?

Coopz

Likes Dirt
A few trails near my place have some very rough rock gardens and other bumps that require a solid 2-4 minutes of standing and pedaling to ease the bumps. This really kills my legs though. I'm not super fit and I'm a big guy (6'4 100kg) so I'm hauling some weight.
Just wondering (other than more riding, which I'm not doing enough of lately) what is a good leg exercise for improving stamina? I

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
A few trails near my place have some very rough rock gardens and other bumps that require a solid 2-4 minutes of standing and pedaling to ease the bumps. This really kills my legs though. I'm not super fit and I'm a big guy (6'4 100kg) so I'm hauling some weight.
Just wondering (other than more riding, which I'm not doing enough of lately) what is a good leg exercise for improving stamina? I
Squats maybe or the one where you maintain a seated position against a wall. They'll both build quad strength. Otherwise lots more riding rock gardens!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
or the one where you maintain a seated position against a wall.
better for the back, make sure your knees don’t jut out over your toes, hip/upper leg only
PS where r u riding with 2-4 rock sections?

i’m scrawny & never fo the gym, i was surprised recently to find out many locals, some avg riders [mtb & roadie] do go and have leg day in a gym once a week.

i myself prefer to smash 750 vert on a SS, i’m not in Acklands class but climb fine, only recently climbing a lot more out of the saddle, i prefer sit & spin naturally, you have to train standing/mashing...

do 3-4 1:00 efforts on incline stand/seat.stand/seat.. at the end of a ride , then again if you do this you’ll hate yourself, hate riding, then come on this forum & be grumpy as all F%&#.

can someone start a “Show us your Quads thread” good for a laugh i reckon..or match the quad to the moderator quiz

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What they said above and build your core strength as well as this is good for driving the legs and maintaining balance when you need that last bit of full body push to clear stuff.

teK--

Eats Squid
Single leg compound exercises are going to be your friend.

Single leg squat, deadlift,
Lunges, reverse lunges,

All weighted with either kettlebell /dumbbell or barbell

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Sounds like some intense intervals on the bike would help (although you won't believe me at the time lol).
Pick a gentle hill and from a standing start pedal uphill flat out for one minute and mark that spot. Roll back to the start and hit it again. Repeat 5 times.
Do that twice a week for four weeks and you should notice the difference in the longer standing rocky sections.

Then because you have gotten fitter you'll need to step up the intensity some more. Vicious circle lol

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I think there's a similar thread on this. But overall, if you want to get in the gym, some good squat sessions are going to go a long way. Box jumps also good, and the high intensity intervals mentioned above (but who can be motivated for that?).

Other option: ride a HT and HTFU.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Clearly this is not a problem that should be managed through improving the rider strength or ability. Classic example of new bike time .... 180mm+ travel and sit down to rest those tired legs.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
wall sits... i used to ride a fair bit of motocross which requires you to be on your feet in attack position pretty much all the time, try to do a minute...then try to do 5.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'm with Mr Hale, single speed. Ride single speed exclusively for a month and enjoy gears and rear suspension in a whole new way

Added bonus on top of the strength is possibly getting better at picking the right lines and efficient cornering. Not saying you'll be world class, but there's a motivation to get it right when you have to work harder to get your speed back.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk