Stans 27.5 tyre mounting

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Just got a new pair of hope pro eve with stand 27.5 crest rims and I'm having a stupid amount of trouble getting the rim bread over the rim of the tyre.
I finally got it on now I want to take the tyre off again so I can set it up properly. I was hoping that getting it on initially would stretch it to a point where it would be much easier to get the tyre on and off.
Now I'm stuck with the tyre on with no tubes. Has anyone encountered this problem before and can anyone give me any tips on how to remove said tyre. Im seriously stuck, out of ideas and getting pretty frustrated.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I had insane amounts of trouble with my ArchEX and Schwalbe snakeskin tyres.

To the point where it took hours and my finger tips were red raw... and so was my mood!

To get the tyre back off, push the beads to the center of the rim so there's more room to move, then you should be able to lever it off with a lot of patience, frustration, blood, sweat, tears, rage, etc. :p

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Little tip to make it easier...........
Set up the with tape and valves BEFORE you put the tyre on......:whistle:
Makes life a whole lot easier but cutting your work in half!
Some people put a tube into the tyre and inflate, leave over night before fitting the tyre to the rim. Helps keep the shape and makes it a little easier to work.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
already got the rim tape set up.
I tried to get the tyre on with a tube inside the normal way, but I stuffed the first tube by puncturing it while using a leaver to get it on.
That's when I thought Id mount the tyre without the tube hoping it would stretch enough to make the process easier.
That definitely wasn't the case because now Im struggling to get the prick off.
Im at work now but will have another whack when I get home tonight.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
already got the rim tape set up.
I tried to get the tyre on with a tube inside the normal way, but I stuffed the first tube by puncturing it while using a leaver to get it on.
That's when I thought Id mount the tyre without the tube hoping it would stretch enough to make the process easier.
That definitely wasn't the case because now Im struggling to get the prick off.
Im at work now but will have another whack when I get home tonight.
Stans rims and some tyres can be a pain in the ass.

I usually leave the tyre in the sun for a few hours to soften in. I also put a little bit of truck wash on the rim edge so it slips over easily.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
yes I have read a few articles now saying soapy water on the rims help a lot, so that will definitely be used tonight when I go round 2 with the dam things.
Guess it is a good thing they are so tight if your setting up tubless, but for us regular tube users its not very user friendly at all.
If I get a flat out on the trails its going to be a bit of an issue.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
If I get a flat out on the trails its going to be a bit of an issue.
I'm concerned about this for myself also, especially since I couldn't even get the bead to seat in the rim without the force of a compressor... makes me glad I went with snakeskin tyres for the extra sidewall support.

So far I've been able to run pretty low pressures (22-26-ish) with no pinch flats, and I'm a 90kg rider.

What tyres do you have, out of curiosity?

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Maxxis ardent 27.5 x 2.25 front.
Maxxis Minion DHR II 27.5 x 2.3 rear.
Both tyres are brand new also

Yep a flat would see probably a long walk and day over me finks.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
For those who may be interested I actually found quite an effective, however potentially dangerous solution.
I used 2 flat head screw drivers and an old (clean) pair of undies.
The screw drivers as leavers and I used the elastic waste band of the undies as protection for the rim.
Worked quite easily with no damage at all and you could get some real good purchase on the bead with the metal driver, it also stretched the bead quite nicely so when I re-mounted with the tubes I only had to use the traditional plastic tyre leavers to get the bead over at the end.
Gutsy but effective, and for the future when I need new tyres for this wheel set I'll do exact ally the same.

ChopSticks

Banned
in the same boat a few weeks back...
setting up Snake skin hans dampf and rock razor on arxh ex 650b rims....
WHAT A MISSION!

thumbs and fingers were hurting for 2 days..... finally managed to seat the thing, align the logos and put the sealant in!

I thought that was hard......

but met my match last week
I was in the garage for 2 freaking hours trying to get Snake skin Hans and RaRa on a set of DT Xm500 rims!
FCUK me dead !!!! I even managed to bend 2 park tool levers!!!!!!
dont know how the hell Im going to get them off !

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
WHAT A MISSION!

thumbs and fingers were hurting for 2 days..... finally managed to seat the thing, align the logos and put the sealant in!

I was in the garage for 2 freaking hours trying to get Snake skin Hans and RaRa on a set of DT Xm500 rims!
Stanley knife, wire cutters and a bible

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
have just mounted (tubeless) a Maxxis HR2 and a maxxis Ardent race on stan's flow EX 650b's. Both Exo sidewall TR tyres. yes, it was somewhat surprisingly hard but not extraordinary... made me think a bit anyways.

here's how it went:

1. Ran tyres with tubes for a few days. First installation took a lot of love, getting the tyre bead to sit right down in the rim centre, and two plastic tyre levers. slowly, but firmly does it...
2. Pulled tyres off after two rides, installed tubeless tape and valves. Pulling tyres off was easier than expected.
3. Slicking up the bead with something - either the clean route of soapy water or messy-but-convenient bit of sealant helped immensely in refitting the beasts. Much easier this time around.. but a lot of cleaning (i took the convenient route)
4. Pumped tyres up by hand (no tubes this time) with a floor pump.

Now this is the reward for all that pain - no bullshitting around, just pump up and go. yeeeha!

and god damn. Much less hard than getting any sort of tyre on/off an old DT rim I had... fark.. I've blocked the memory of what the shit even the rim was.. some overly heavy duty freeridey thing...

Ivan

Eats Squid
Leaving the tyre in the sun for a while to warm up and paying attention to using proper technique is all you need.

saltzzz

Likes Dirt
WHAT A MISSION!

Lolll , the Stan's rims are pretty ridiculous when it comes to fitting schwalbe tyres post 2010 .

Try sticking to Maxxis folks, you'll soon thank yourself when you have to fix a puncture mid-ride .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChopSticks

Banned
Lolll , the Stan's rims are pretty ridiculous when it comes to fitting schwalbe tyres post 2010 .

Try sticking to Maxxis folks, you'll soon thank yourself when you have to fix a puncture mid-ride .
post 2010?
I did a set of old crests to RaRa and has some trouble.... Thought those new 650 Arch EX's were a pain... but nothing like the DT xm500 rims !!!

saltzzz

Likes Dirt
Probably an isolated case for me .

I recall having zero issues mounting the old NN/NN or Ra/Ra combo to the crests back then . The new tyres however requires significantly more muscling and cursing to the point where I ended up using the Swiss Army knife and totalled my tyres when trying to dismount it .

It's a bloody combo of crest/arch rim design with schwalbe tyres ! Which is why you see schwalbe launching tubesless ez versions this year .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

acads

Likes Dirt
I must be a bit on the lucky side I think , two sets of RaRa's fitted to a set of stans crests and giant pxrc1's with no issue in the last week but I do work at a tyre shop :) .

Its been mentioned but I find that seating the tyre in the lowest part of the rim and using a lubricant ( ive got the tyre stuff from work but dish washing liquid works ) will get most tires on by hands only . I do use the compressor to pop the on the bead however and haven't tried the floor pump .

My giant wheels have the dtswiss rim strip which makes it a little harder but still doable .

donny70

Likes Dirt
I must be a bit on the lucky side I think , two sets of RaRa's fitted to a set of stans crests and giant pxrc1's with no issue in the last week but I do work at a tyre shop :) .

Its been mentioned but I find that seating the tyre in the lowest part of the rim and using a lubricant ( ive got the tyre stuff from work but dish washing liquid works ) will get most tires on by hands only . I do use the compressor to pop the on the bead however and haven't tried the floor pump .

My giant wheels have the dtswiss rim strip which makes it a little harder but still doable .
Floor pump never works for me even when I use the full rubber rim strip. Compressor all the way!!