Stans Arc EX to hope?

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
HTML:
Nice mate, keeping it in the family and all.

Got me some thinking to do before I lay down some coin, but apparently I cant really go wrong with stans so I'm pretty stoked right about now.
Until I go/can friggin afford carbon I can't think if any other wheel that competes on price, performance and ease of setup. My crests even survived the 40kmh stack that broke my thumb last month pity the derailuer hanger hasn't.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
So has rim technology improved so much that the UST rims are no longer needed compared to running tape along the spoke holes? I waited for way too fucking long to get a set of Mavic Rims built up on Hope Hubs just so I could run UST rims and not fuck around with rim strips, sealant, and having to borrow a compressor on my first set of hope wheels.
At the time I thought Stans stuff still needed either rubber rim strips or tape (or both...) and I don't know about the rim lip profile. Has it changed?

The Hope hubs are awesome though, two sets, one with over 5000kms on it and no issues.

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
I've been running this setup on my trance for about 2 years now, Arch EX on Pro2 evos. These things are awesome. I've done marathons, enduro races, a heap of trail riding and many crashes over that time and they're still dead straight. Had to replace a couple of spokes when I overshifted the rear cog, but other than that no problems. And yes P-XC2s are poo, especially the rear hub.

That said these are hand built, I don't know what the hope hoops would be like.

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
I changed the rear tire on my Flow ex/Hope setup and now my drive side spokes are loose as shit. Googled the issue and quite a few people have experienced this problem. If this happens every time I change a tire I'll be over it.

moorey

call me Mia
Bizarre. Never heard if that, and never had it happen. Change tyres like underwear....monthly.

teK--

Eats Squid
I changed the rear tire on my Flow ex/Hope setup and now my drive side spokes are loose as shit. Googled the issue and quite a few people have experienced this problem. If this happens every time I change a tire I'll be over it.
Tyres are too tight and have loosened spoke tension. I have found it's fine to ride on and doesn't weaken wheel. You would definitely not crank up spoke tension to compensate otherwise when removing tyres the spokes are way too tight.

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
Tyres are too tight and have loosened spoke tension. I have found it's fine to ride on and doesn't weaken wheel. You would definitely not crank up spoke tension to compensate otherwise when removing tyres the spokes are way too tight.
Fine to ride on? It sounds like I am riding a 20 year old 16" kids bike that I found on a hard rubbish pile. They are setup as tubeless and never went above 30 psi.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
UST tyre by any chance? Found them to be bitch sometimes.

Not sure I'd be worried about spokes been too tight when you remove a tyre, hard to imagine a tireless rim getting too much stressful action