Stans rim tape V gorilla tape ?

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking for long term impute , how does or did the gorilla tape stack up against stan`s rim tape .

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Stans works better for me.

Gorilla tape in time developed wear marks after removing/installing tyres & started to peel back in places.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
agree with all above regarding Stans being better.

Also... Gorilla leaves an annoying glue residue behind which must be removed before re-application where Stans peels straight off cleanly

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Agree with above, but gorilla tape has an advantage on some rims without bead locks - so rims with a flat shoulder can sometimes get a defacto bead lock by ripping the gorilla tape to 4mm narrower than the bed - this takes a bit of dicking around to get the right width. A better solution for those problem rims would be the bontrager rim strips though.

Gorilla tape is available anywhere anytime for any budget and is why it still gets used

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
I actually use bear outdoor masking tape.. I had s failure with it on my road bike but that was at 90psi. On my mountain bike it's perfect. Won't use stans again now..

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Stans is $20 on sale in Pushys at the minute. Why not just buy tape that's designed for purpose rather than taking a gamble on something that's possibly hit and miss?

$20 = six pack of beer.........flat tyre and walking X km out of a trail...= pain in the arse.

Markee

Likes Dirt
Stans is $20 on sale in Pushys at the minute. Why not just buy tape that's designed for purpose rather than taking a gamble on something that's possibly hit and miss?

$20 = six pack of beer.........flat tyre and walking X km out of a trail...= pain in the arse.
Cheaper again on MTB Direct. :Banane45:

Minlak

custom titis

My syntace rims came with stans and it wouldn't seal. I didn't have enough Stans tape to redo them and no one in town had it and it was a Thursday night so would have had to wait until Tuesday the following week. So I went to Bunnings and got the Bear tape won't use Stans again..

*Stans failing on my rim was not Stans fault btw just for the cost I will stay with the Bear

higiff

Likes Dirt
Gorilla tape tends to stick better to carbon rims,
Enve used to ship their wheels with a little roll of gorilla tape, as stans had a hard time sticking to their rim.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Since I swapped to Gorilla tape 4yrs ago.....I haven't had an issue of premature slip.

All tapes will slip inwards over time and pressure though, GT gives me the most tyre removal/installs (usually 3) before I have to retape the rim....with Stans/other it is a re-tape after each tyre removal as the tape had slipped in too far to guarantee it to seal.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Since I swapped to Gorilla tape 4yrs ago.....I haven't had an issue of premature slip.

All tapes will slip inwards over time and pressure though, GT gives me the most tyre removal/installs (usually 3) before I have to retape the rim....with Stans/other it is a re-tape after each tyre removal as the tape had slipped in too far to guarantee it to seal.
I'm not convinced you're installing your tape right if it "slips".
Proper clean with isopropyl, roll the tape on tight and use a Tyre lever to press the middle and edges down firmly and mine don't move.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm not convinced you're installing your tape right if it "slips".
Proper clean with isopropyl, roll the tape on tight and use a Tyre lever to press the middle and edges down firmly and mine don't move.
I'm with you on this.
Changed tyres at least 4 times since the apple in the tape, no problems with any slippage. I think wheel prep is crucial and tight application with a decent overlap.

ForkeSeal

Likes Bikes
Been using gorilla tape for about 4 months and it has been perfect. even after 2 tyre changes. I recently had to peel it off and it didn't leave any glue behind. It cost $4 form bunnings and I've done 3 x 27.5" wheels with the same roll and still have heaps left. I've never used stans and I probably never will.