Started riding again, looking for advice on a bike

I'm after a bit of help choosing/finding a bike to get back into riding. I haven't ridden since 2004 really and have way outgrown my 02 kona stuff. I was mostly into street an dj when I was riding but it's been so long I'm totally out of the loop about what's good and what's not and am looking for suggstions.

I don't really want to spend more than $1500-2000 and have no problem buying second had either, just want something that fits well and is good for street/dj and cruising. Also I'm a but lost on frame sizings, I'm 6'4" so not sure what size frame would be best. Are there any brands which make bikes specifically for taller people or something like that?

joel

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
With a price range like that you could do just about anything!!!!!

Build a mad custom or buy the best complete out there!!!

But....considering your 6'4'....You may have to buy a medium or large of watever you decide on.....

If you can be bothered build a rad custom.....if not do a search of the forum....theres millions of these threads floatin around.....literally

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you couldent really build your self a "rad custom" for $2000 your best bet is a large stp0 or p3 somthing around that, if your looking second hand you could probabley get a pritty good ns or blk mrkt

See my Suburban in the for sale thread.
Didn't you say it would suit someone around 180cm in height in the pm you sent me?

With a price range like that you could do just about anything!!!!!

Build a mad custom or buy the best complete out there!!!

But....considering your 6'4'....You may have to buy a medium or large of watever you decide on.....

If you can be bothered build a rad custom.....if not do a search of the forum....theres millions of these threads floatin around.....literally
Yeah for sure, I'd be happy to do a custom build I'll have a look around on the forums for some builds. Any suggestions on hardtail XL size frames?

you couldent really build your self a "rad custom" for $2000 your best bet is a large stp0 or p3 somthing around that, if your looking second hand you could probabley get a pritty good ns or blk mrkt
Sorry for the dumb question but who makes the ns or the blk mrkt?

Also I've got a pair or marzocchi bomber DJ 2002's and some mavic D521 rimes with DT spokes, they're old but in good condition. Would they be good enough to use or no?

Last edited:
NS SUBURBAN 26"
Forks: Marzocchi bomber DJ 2002's - Don't mind buying new forks but these were pretty good back when I was riding. What do you think?
Crankset: Truvativ hassefelt, these still good?
Chain:
Brakes: Not sure on this.
Hubs: Rr:
Rims: R: Fr:
Tyres:
Grips: odi lock jaws
Seat:
Pedals:
Stem:
Bars: Truvativ

Looking over the forums it seems the majority of riders now riding street/dj have switched from single speed to fixed speed, what are the advantages of going with fixed over single on a street/dj bike?

Attachments

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
Fixed????

I have never seen a fixed gear DJ....NS and BlkMrkt are brands not models....

But both make great bikes....some of the best....they may come in XL???

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
Most definetly confused.....he is running SS or single speed.....it has a freehub not a fixed sprocket.....

Back to previous post.....To be able to afford one of these frames with awesome spec (like the ones posted) you may have to check out eBay or the For Sale section in this forum.....

Otherwise its gonna cost way to much!!!! But will definetly be worth it!!!!

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
I'm 6ft 4 and comfortably ride small frames, have owned a small stp, suburban, leaf d.2 and dlx, no problems.

They look puke in my opinion and I heard they dont ride that well either....

You can do better!!!
I know I could probably do better it's just that I have no idea where to start, been reading a lot around on the forums and it still doesn't make much sense. Found an 09 norco 250 here for $1500 new, looks alright...

I'm 6ft and ride an 08 Eastern Nighttrain comfortably. As far as I am aware they are the same as 09 ones apart from colours. Not great to sit down and cruise on but thats not really what they are for. Hated the handling on it at first, but once I got used to that it is sweet. I have never been able to manual or spin easily on a 26 until I got this bike.

Autumn_Leaves

Likes Dirt
I know I could probably do better it's just that I have no idea where to start, been reading a lot around on the forums and it still doesn't make much sense. Found an 09 norco 250 here for $1500 new, looks alright...

Your prety mutch on the money with the 250, If your from the geelong area check out Beretta's bike hub, They have an awsom range of dj and four cross bikes and they have discounted all there 08 stock.