Starting out AM bike $1500ish

Movendi

Cannon Fodder
Hey guys i'm looking to start doing mountain biking as a weekend hobby this aussie winter and find an allmountain/trail bike to get fit and able to do some uphill but mainly downhill fun and try do do some rocky, fun terrain when i gain more balls.

My mate is offering his 2011 Giant Reign 2 for $1800 in mint condition but not sure if i need a FS just yet. People saying learning on hardtail would be the way to go and cheaper to start out i'm trying to figure out what alternatives at $1500~. Or would i just be better of getting my mates reign?? I'd rather get something used since i'll probably damage a new one anyway so if anyone or their friends is selling a good AM/trail bike that fits the bill let me know!

Sadly the stores here don't have a lot to offer in SE Melbourne, gold cross doesn't stock the models i see mentioned here so i'm wondering where's a good place to test a good variety out?

So far i've compiled a list of everyone's recommended models for hardtails from the web and came up with:

cannondale f800
jamis dakota elite
kona kula deluxe
gary fisher big sur big sur = 26er
hoo koo e koo
Fisher Paragon/X-cal paragon/x-cal = 29er
specialized stumpjumper disc or rockhopper pro disc
Specialized M4 Stumpjumper, (with v-brakes)
Trek Fuel EX 6 Mountain Bike

About me: 25 male - 75kg 184 cm (6ft)

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go to a few bikeshops, try a few hardtails on for size.. attempt to bargain with them a bit. IMO, you want to look at spending 1k on a bike and leave a little spare to upgrade parts - try to get a ride on a few peoples bikes with different set-ups to see what you like and what you don't.

Hardtails are the way to go if you're just starting out. Second hand might be better as well, you can get some awesome deals second hand. Although, I don't blame you if you feel a bit put off about buying a pre-thrashed bike.

And, don't be afraid of single speeds, they can be a lot more fun - and a hell of a lot less matienence.

As for bikes, i'd avoid fisher/treks/cannondales.. unless you can get a good deal. They tend not to be that greater value.. (My first bike was a fisher). Giants are good value and sold everywhere, so you should be able to pick up a deal. Kona's are fantastic value, but not as well regarded. If you get a deal on a cinder cone you'd be laughing. I beleive the kula is a bit more of a race bike, a bit less forgiving compared to a trail bike.

I'm not a fan of 29ers (but i ride a lot of bmx/street mtb as well as xc). Take one for a ride and see if you like it.. Typically, they're slower to accelerate and have larger turning circles. But hold speed better and roll over things easier. They're also a little more expensive.

EDIT: If you find yourself riding all mountain you may want to consider upgrades such as fatter tires, wider bars/shorter stems, a chainguide (converts your gearing to 1x9 or 1x10, prevets chain dropping). All of the above mods would cost about $300 to give you an idea, incase you want to save a little money.

Last edited:

Movendi

Cannon Fodder
Thanks for the advice g-fish i'll try to avoid those brands mentioned. I saw the cinder cone for special here http://www.bikes.com.au/p/1178264/2011-kona-cindercone.html so ill check this out today. Would be nice if there was a way to rent out the nicer mountain bikes on a track.

Thanks slowandold, i don't think my mate noticed cause his living in canada now and is broke so he needs to sell his bike :p. But do you think that might be worth getting over a nicer spec'd hardtail?
Maybe something like a Rockhopper or giant XTC?

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
presuming your not aiming to become an elite (insert what ever riding style you like) ... and that your time for riding is a precious commodity ... then I'd recommend skipping the HT progression level and go straight to twin bouncing fun.

secondly, if money isn't too much of an issue for you ... helping your mate out and paying just a little more will likely add to the karma stakes.

good luck with it.

felts bend

Likes Bikes
go the reign, my riding has progressed more in the last 2 years of dual suspension than in 10 years of hardtails

Bluemtb

Likes Bikes
Dual Sus definitely makes riding easier, but you do pick up bad habits, however you don't notice them because your dually covers them all up. Giant Reigns do have a lot of travel as far as SE melb goes, with places like Lysty not really needing a lot. Also, Trek are not as bad value as they have been in the past and are certainly worth a look.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buy the reign, but have a think about this first. What do your mates ride?
If they are mostly on hardtail light weight xc type outfits and ride like a road racer then you' wont to keep up on a reign and rides with them wont be much fun. I know this cos I own a reign and I made that mistake, once.
If your mates mostly ride squishy front and rear rigs &/or aren't overly serious on the trails you'll have a blast on a reign. A current reign at that price seems like a very good deal. You only have to look at the old ones in the classifieds to see how good that deal is, and you get a lot of bike for your money. Riding a Reign teaches/trains you to ride uphill, and rewards you with one of the best downhill bikes in their class.
I started on a cannondale hardtail for 2 years, and ever since the first ride on the reign wish I had just gone with a dually to start with.

Movendi

Cannon Fodder
Yea i figure it would be overkill for trails around melbourne. Plus i'd like to pickup skills without relying on too much of a crutch. Although the giant reign 2 can be had $1600 new, couldn't i arguably get a much better spec'd hardtail which is lighter and easier to maintain? From what i read, people still have a hardtail they still use so there must be a good reason. Unless i'm going to somewhere like buller i would like to get those skills right instead of relying on a crutch. Went to the LBS today and was recommended a CUBE and Apollo hardtails. Was hoping to try out a GIANT XTC (29er) but variety is really limited in this neck of the woods.

eastie: I only have one mate that rides a mtb and his in canada trying to sell it to me :p. So i'll be doing solo trips until i convince my other mates to join.

Last edited:

shakes

Likes Dirt
Dont stress too much about riding HT v duallie you learn a different set of skill's how to make up for the suspension etc when cornering on a duallie. a HT will teach you to pick a smoother line and let the bike move under you a little. I have a lot of trouble adjusting from one to the other after a couple hour ride.

Pick the bike that comes up with the best deal first and ride lots!

Bluemtb

Likes Bikes
A Reign 2 for $1800 would likely have a better spec of parts than you would get on any decent hardtail for that much money brand new. Plus you get to have a lot more fun.

diskoe75

Likes Bikes
Reign....

Answer is simple...............get the Reign and dont worry bout the HT.............you will get a lot more enjoyment out of it from the word go.

Those bikes are tough as nails - just great fun to ride and means as your confidence grows and you become a lot more daring with negotiating obstacles like jumps or drop offs, you will thank yourself you have a bike that can comfortably handle all of that. ;)

Wes/TRUCK

Likes Dirt
Go a HT MERDIA TFS Trail great value I can say the a wider bar is a great upgrade but have done the big tyre thing and gone back to 2.1s.

b0ing

Likes Dirt
I don't think I could go back to HT for even riding around the city anymore. Sure the Reigns going to be a bit heavier but when you spot something to launch or drop off, it makes up for it :)
And in saying that, I consider the Reign to be pretty light and nimble for a 6" bike.

I wouldnt be bothering with the Cube or Apollo bikes.

Movendi

Cannon Fodder
Damn you guys are persuasive bunch aren't ya haha... alrite i'll have to check it out next weekend and make a decision :D Thanks for the input guys

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
Go the reign man. I had one of the original ones into Aust and had it until mid last year and I had done everything on it. From commuting to doing 12hr solo enduros. Great bike and a tough frame. A friend of mine has ridden NSW state dh rounds on his and the only mods were upgraded forks and changed to a single chain ring and guide. There are probably better bikes out there to do specific types of riding but for a do it all tough bike and great value for money I think you can't go past a Reign. Good luck.

SaabG

Likes Dirt
If you want to get fit and have fun then get a dual suspension bike. They are harder to ride uphill and they enable a novice to conquer more challenging terrain. I bought a 2008 mongoose teocalli for $1000 in March and I ride it hard three times a week and I've haven't had a problem with it yet. I think they are great bikes for the money but in saying that if I were to only have one bike (I have a dh rig as well) I would get a giant reign for sure. It is regarded as the most diverse bike on the market. Only get a hard tail if you can't afford a good dual suspension bike or you are competing in my opinion.

ozimad

Likes Dirt
Giant shop in the city is currently selling the Reign 2 for $1800.... Mate just bought one.. Damn sexy in white and red I must say