Startling moments on the trails

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Aside from the occasional snake encounters - some more startling than others, on one ride came damn near getting sideswiped by a roo at Lysterfield. Hooking along the Comm. Games course at a reasonable pace, this bloody thing comes down from the high side of the slope on a converging course, while I'm hooking along just about looking this thing in the eyes, or looking up at it, less than a metre apart.

poiterpan

Likes Bikes
I caught the last shuttle up to mt Buller late on a weekend afternoon and headed back down the Delatite river track. As I came round a corner I get the speed wobbles and focus on a large wide tree in my path. Luckily I get traction and make it round the bend. As I catch my breath I wondered if I soiled my underpants. On the following corner I see something that looks like a rabbit and hope he doesn't move. He doesn't as I fly by him and I wonder if he soiled himself also.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Yeah, no shortage of roos at Lysty. Years ago, I was barreling (for me) through the Comm Games berms and as I hung through a lefty I saw a huge roo near the exit of the next righty… it took me a bit of processing time and I couldn’t stop in time anyway… as I passed him, he literally jumped over the back of my bike… but his head came so close to mine, I actually smelt his warm grassy breath.

Beej1

A black bear running across the trail in front of me in Whistler is still the most startling thing that's happened to me. Pretty common up there apparently.

The next day I was stopped under the Fitz chair when some guys - Aussies - start shouting "Bear!" in a mocking tone. There was, in fact, a bear eating berries about 5m from me. I slowly unhooked my backpack to get my phone to take a pic when the much larger mother stood up about 3m away between us. I'm sure I would've been fine ... but still ... backpack back on and off in a hurry.

mellow

Banned
ripping yarn.

In North queensland we have what is called " Waitawhile ". Or lawyer cane. Has what may as well be fish hooks hanging on rope. Yep. rip.

I know this is roadie, but. more than a couple years ago.
45 ks home from turnaround, undulating sunday morning " race " home.
I was in pretty good nick at the time. Passed a little chick, said hi, and PBed my way home. Never looked back, felt like fucking superman.
The unoficcial ( is that how you spell it ) finish line is couple ks past long flat out hill, but must pedal.

I sit up and she is on my wheel. Where the fuck did she come from ? What the fuck is she ? ?
She was Ruth Corset. Australian Champion at the time.
Smiled and came on by.

About the same time, we bigtime ego raceyboy bunch, all wanked out on superbikes got rounded and dropped out of sight, on the Chicken Run, by a complete unknown on a full steel Llewwellyn fixie.
Went quiet for a long while.

mtb1611

Seymour
Many moons ago, several years prior to the end of last century (around '94 I think) I was racing in a round of the old National Series at Majura. Came flying around a tight singletrack bend and there's an echidna ambling across the track, dead casual like! I'm no air bandit but there was no time to pull up so the only option was to bunnyhop the spiky little fellow, lest I incur a puncture in my new Panaracers. So take a leap of faith I did and both monotreme and I continued on our way unscathed,

golden path

Banned
Me and two mates found a "dead" dog lying beside the track one morning.

It was just lying there, in the bush, on its side. Not moving.

"Eh there's a dead dog over there."

So we rode closer, whereupon it lifted its head and looked at us.

Called out to it and it slowly got to its feet and came over. Fat old staffy sort of dog.

Turned out to have a mobile number on its collar so I called the owner who said the dog had gone missing a day or two earlier. He rocked up and collected it.

Presumably it had just given up all hope and just decided to lie down and cark it, I dunno.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
About the same time, we bigtime ego raceyboy bunch, all wanked out on superbikes got rounded and dropped out of sight, on the Chicken Run, by a complete unknown on a full steel Llewwellyn fixie.
Went quiet for a long while.
i love riding the Torrens River paths (Adelaide) with our retro bmx group. Shared paths, heavily signposted so walkers, dogs, kids, you name it, but there is always, ALWAYS some wanker who thinks he's going to make his Strava best. Biggest laugh was some big tall guy on a cross country 29er ringing his bell and shouting at the group of 30 or more of us apparently in his way....my hubs proceeded to match his pace effortlessly for a few hundred yards on his 1984 20" bmx.

mellow

Banned
Startling.

remember DBR vortex. Carbon tubes, aluminium lugs, elastomer answer fork, v brakes.

Mine popped the carbon tubes out of the lugs attaching headtube landing a little quick. Spat me spectacularly, but I was relatively unharmed. Happens when your front end removes itself.

I had issue with carbon for years.

Shinigami

Likes Dirt
the moment last night where i almost ran over the rabbit that had stopped in the middle of the trail like a deer in the headlights. really small rabbit too.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I stopped on the uphill of a dirt road thinking I was looking at a black snake withering on the road after a car had run over it.

Was a black plastic bag.

scblack

Leucocholic
the moment last night where i almost ran over the rabbit that had stopped in the middle of the trail like a deer in the headlights. really small rabbit too.
I DID run over a rabbit on the M7 cycleway a few weeks ago on my roadie. Very small rabbit ran under my front wheel. He was very soft and squishy. I stopped and looked back but he had run away into the brush off the track.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Was there a psycho rabbit on the goodies once or twice? Or have I made a confusion?

I DID run over a rabbit on the M7 cycleway a few weeks ago on my roadie. Very small rabbit ran under my front wheel. He was very soft and squishy. I stopped and looked back but he had run away into the brush off the track.
I did similar with a cat at night. It ran so fast post accident, I just wantedto do the right thing. You know exchange rego and insurance details...

I did similar with a cat at night. It ran so fast post accident, I just wantedto do the right thing. You know exchange rego and insurance details...
Not on the trail
Hit a cat on my road bike way back in highschool. Going flat stick on my way home, toe clips on and sat up coming into a quiet street. Hit the cat dead centre of my front wheel with no hands on the bars. Cartwheeled spectacularly, nose plant into handlebars and a taco front wheel. Toe clips were so great back in the day.
Was briefly blacked out. People came out to help me up and my first question was is that f***ing cat dead?
Mum is a nurse so sympathy at home consisted of have a shower you'll be fine, despite the blood trickling from nose and scalp.
Broken nose and probably mild concussion. Had a serious set of shiners. Could have been so much worse.
Was pre-compulsory helmet laws

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Might be both. England looks a dangerous place.

Not on the trail
Hit a cat on my road bike way back in highschool. Going flat stick on my way home, toe clips on and sat up coming into a quiet street. Hit the cat dead centre of my front wheel with no hands on the bars. Cartwheeled spectacularly, nose plant into handlebars and a taco front wheel. Toe clips were so great back in the day.
Was briefly blacked out. People came out to help me up and my first question was is that f***ing cat dead?
Mum is a nurse so sympathy at home consisted of have a shower you'll be fine, despite the blood trickling from nose and scalp.
Broken nose and probably mild concussion. Had a serious set of shiners. Could have been so much worse.
Was pre-compulsory helmet laws
I hurt my neck laughing. Sounds fucking painful and hilarious. 2 questions:
1) did the cat live?
2) you use platform pedals yeah?

Might be both. England looks a dangerous place.

I hurt my neck laughing. Sounds fucking painful and hilarious. 2 questions:
1) did the cat live?
2) you use platform pedals yeah?

1) I'm really hoping not, I was going fast and they were pizza cutter thin racing wheels. At least it might have ended up with a hunchback or some similar deformity. Maybe it became two cats? If I had landed on it that would have assured it's demise.
2) Flats all the way. :thumb:

Laughter was a fairly common reaction at the time after explaining I had a busted nose and two black eyes from a cat.
Obviously still is.