Startling moments on the trails

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
1) I'm really hoping not, I was going fast and they were pizza cutter thin racing wheels. At least it might have ended up with a hunchback or some similar deformity. Maybe it became two cats? If I had landed on it that would have assured it's demise.
2) Flats all the way. :thumb:

Laughter was a fairly common reaction at the time after explaining I had a busted nose and two black eyes from a cat.
Obviously still is.
This may explain catdog...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I ran over a small dog with my CX bike. Little trucker came busting out of his front yard and completely miscalculated speed and trajectory to find himself nearly under my front wheel. This would have been OK if he hadn't have then panicked​ and slipped/tripped on the asphalt trying to change direction. So I rode straight over his hips with both wheels... all in the blink of an eye.

Old Mate vanished back into the front yard in an instant while I coasted down the road wondering why I wasn't lying on it in a bleeding heap...

wilso1

Likes Bikes
Not on the trail
Hit a cat on my road bike way back in highschool.
Another cat-strike story, away from the trails.

Commuting home a few years ago now, a slight down hill so I've wound the speed up, and a tabby dashes out from the left hand side of road and I strike it pretty much dead centre I guess. I can recall seeing an orange "blur" just before the incident, but the car/van following me (who also kindly took us home) confirmed it was a cat. He said he saw it roll all the way to the other side of the road due to the impact, then scurry off wondering what the hell had just happened. I also had some of its fur stuck between the rim and the tyre - I've no other explanation why it was there.

Despite riding about a metre inside the white line on the edge of the road, I picked myself up looking almost at the number plate of a car parked further ahead, so I'd fallen a 1.5-2metres to the left as a result of the fall. I've still no idea how i escaped with nothing but scratches. Thankfully it was winter, so the clothes reduced the amount of scratches, but the skin on the kneecap was down to the white layer underneath. The impact was enough to rip my watch off the band at both ends - but all parts were still contained within the sleeve of my jersey.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Another snake one....but pretty funny I think...

Last year at Derby me & a mate were hammering away up a climb that was switchback after switchback. It was hot, dusty & we'd been riding for a couple of days by this point.
We both had our heads down, not looking very far ahead, just trying to get back up the hill. Matey was right behind me....prolly just following my back wheel.

Just as I rounded another switchback, right in the middle of the turn where your bars are most turned & your speed is lowest, I lift my head a little and see a farken' huge black snake about 3 feet in front of me.
So as I grab the brakes & try to get a foot outta the clips, old mate runs into the back of me & we both get caught up & and kind of half topple over in a clumsy mess. Right in front of 'old scaley!
My mate still doesn't know why I stopped & is calling me everything under the sun. I'm trying not to yell or do anything that might piss off the legless dinosaur that is trying to get up the bank in front of us!
When my mate finally saw the bastard, he shut-up real quick!

Needless, we farken' pissed ourselves laughing over a beer afterwards!

OscarWhitbread

Likes Bikes
Bloody rabbits, they are in plague proportions where I ride. If I'm riding on dusk it can be quite distracting with the little fuckers darting in and out across the track in low light. I've glanced a few but never managed to nail one dead on. Man they can do some serious damage to the landscape though.

golden path

Banned
On that topic....I was riding past a small farm en route to the trail, and couldn't help but notice the number of rabbits on the joint.

I went back later on and met the farmer, got permission, and shot the shit out of them rabbits. Got plenty of dog tucker off that place, and just minutes from home.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
A couple of years back, I was riding through Bruce Ridge, and there's a section just before the FoBR Pub Run that's pretty tight and scrubby, but lots of fun to ride though. This day, I misjudged a gap between trees and hit my shoulder against one of them, nothing too hard or anything though.

A moment later, out of the corner of my eye I see what looks like a weird growth on my shoulder, it almost looked like the area had erupted out violently. So I hit the brakes while wondering what the hell I've done to myself, and why I'm not in agony, stop...and realise that I'd hit a big glob of sap on the tree trunk, which had come off and stuck to my shoulder! It was a pretty big relief to realise I hadn't destroyed myself!