Stealth, but now stealth, Banshee Rune V2 Build

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Can we get your comparative thoughts on 26 vs 27.5 on this thing?
Waldog leant me his spare 27.5 wheels and I threw them on my Rune. Rollover was better but not to the point of getting new wheels until my Flows were munted (or a mentally cheap pair of 26" Zelvys popped up).

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Waldog leant me his spare 27.5 wheels and I threw them on my Rune. Rollover was better but not to the point of getting new wheels until my Flows were munted (or a mentally cheap pair of 26" Zelvys popped up).
I already know the steering won't be as snappy, as I went from 26 in 27.5 dropouts to 26 in 26 dropouts and noticed a big difference in maneuverability. I am not a bicycle geometry expert so have no idea if the 27.5 wheels offset this effect in any way.

Boom King

I already know the steering won't be as snappy, as I went from 26 in 27.5 dropouts to 26 in 26 dropouts and noticed a big difference in maneuverability. I am not a bicycle geometry expert so have no idea if the 27.5 wheels offset this effect in any way.
You will get better rollover and a higher bottom bracket. Slightly longer wheelbase too with the extra offset of the 27.5 fork but the angles will stay the same.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You will get better rollover and a higher bottom bracket. Slightly longer wheelbase too with the extra offset of the 27.5 fork but the angles will stay the same.
Does the rake and trail change with the 27.5" wheels and improve the handling at all?

Boom King

Does the rake and trail change with the 27.5" wheels and improve the handling at all?
Rake increases with the increased fork offset, trail increases as wheel size increases. No idea if that improves handling though.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chucked a Ti spring on the RC4 last night as clearly I have money to burn on useless crap. Looks the goods, but I went down a spring rate so might be time to reign in the eating and start concentrating on losing a few kegs.
I would do a ride report, but lets face it we all know it will be no different from the steel spring, aside from the fact that i may spend more time looking at my shock than the trail.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How about that 26 vs 27.5 report?
Forgot about that. I noticed the change more than I thought I would. The bike felt all round a lot more stable at speed and it rails berms a lot better than it did with the 26" wheels, the front wheel was much less twitchy. I did, however, also swap older Lyriks for RCT3 Pikes so they could have also helped.

When I originally bought the Rune I was running the 26" wheels in the 27.5 dropouts and when I finally installed the 26" dropouts the bike was quite a lot more maneuverable on tighter trails. I now find the bike is a little less maneuverable, but the trade-off for the stability was well worth it.

As mentioned I also installed Pikes at the same time as the 650b wheels so I don't know which is responsible for the changes, but the bike feels a hell of a lot better now.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Forgot about that. I noticed the change more than I thought I would. The bike felt all round a lot more stable at speed and it rails berms a lot better than it did with the 26" wheels, the front wheel was much less twitchy. I did, however, also swap older Lyriks for RCT3 Pikes so they could have also helped.

When I originally bought the Rune I was running the 26" wheels in the 27.5 dropouts and when I finally installed the 26" dropouts the bike was quite a lot more maneuverable on tighter trails. I now find the bike is a little less maneuverable, but the trade-off for the stability was well worth it.

As mentioned I also installed Pikes at the same time as the 650b wheels so I don't know which is responsible for the changes, but the bike feels a hell of a lot better now.
Sounds like geometry changes more than anything.
Stability will be from longer chainstays, which are generally a byproduct of bigger wheels.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like geometry changes more than anything.
Stability will be from longer chainstays, which are generally a byproduct of bigger wheels.
Except that I was also riding the 26" with the 650b dropouts for quite a while so have that to compare as well. It actually feels like it has more to do with the gyroscopic effect of the wheels, but I definitely have not had enough time on them, on familiar trails, to judge that accurately.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Except that I was also riding the 26" with the 650b dropouts for quite a while so have that to compare as well. It actually feels like it has more to do with the gyroscopic effect of the wheels, but I definitely have not had enough time on them, on familiar trails, to judge that accurately.
If your previous fork was 26", that would have steepened the head tube up over the 27.5 fork, which would account for some of the twitchiness too.

Really the only change that should be attributed to sickfiddy is better rollover, the rest is generally modern geometry.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your previous fork was 26", that would have steepened the head tube up over the 27.5 fork, which would account for some of the twitchiness too.

Really the only change that should be attributed to sickfiddy is better rollover, the rest is generally modern geometry.
That is entirely possible too, but what is the difference in A2C between the 26" Lyrik and 27.5 Pike? They looked damn close when I pulled them off. I never bothered to actually measure them but held them side by side and they seemed almost identical.