Steel 29er frames?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Thinking I need an n+1 project to use a bunch of random spares, and a steel 29er hardtail appeals for some reason...

There is the On One Inbred - what else should I look for? Cheap and cheerful, it’s a budget build.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Thinking I need an n+1 project to use a bunch of random spares, and a steel 29er hardtail appeals for some reason...

There is the On One Inbred - what else should I look for? Cheap and cheerful, it’s a budget build.
Ragley Bigwig Wig

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

Avanti KISS. There's probably a few Surly or Salsa branded frames out there in 2nd hand world.

Haakon

I dont have a facebook account though... Not sure this is worth me getting one!

I like the Ragley, some nice details. The On One still has it on price though.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Second hand cotic solaris?

I'm not quite ready to part with mine yet, but have been thinking about switching to a BFe at some point (27.5 and slacker geom)

aanon

Likes Dirt
Transition Trans am are on the upper end of cheap, On One are cheap, Ragley prices are Fair. I have a Ros 9, not cheap at all. One thing for sure, big wheels on hardtails rule for trail duties.

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
Cotic have scratch n dent sales from time to time. I picked up a Soul frame off them which had a very minor scratch from a rear
disc and they had even kindly painted over for me.

I recently almost bought a frame secondhand from a guy on one of the UK forums. (much higher ratio of steel bikes there). With some minor convincing the guy was prepared to post it internationally for me. That could be worth a shot...

Haakon

Lots of good thoughts, cheers guys. I confess though that apart from the On One they tend to be more expensive that I'd figured... And I had thought it would less trail bike and more nimble speedster - so am now wondering about a chinese carbon frame and wheels. Either way its an n+1 bike so cheap is the name of the game!

I'm spending the real dollars on a Trance Advanced...

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
A word of warning... I originally bought an On One as a second bike to put my old parts onto and generally thrash about - somewhat of a pub bike. I ended up falling in love with it and beginning a love affair with steel frames in general. That Inbred ended up specced fairly high end. As a result I had to then get a third frame as my pub bike..
I've since moved the inbred on, and the cotic, and am now running a Stanton.
Other bikes will come and go but I'll always have a steel hardtail in the flock.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Inbreds are cheap, heavy and not a kool modern geo but are great for XC and ride really smooth.

I've had one for probably 7 years now. Been through 3 different builds, currently with slicks and a baby seat, and has been a fun bike SS and geared. If that's the budget then you won't be disappointed.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lots of good thoughts, cheers guys. I confess though that apart from the On One they tend to be more expensive that I'd figured... And I had thought it would less trail bike and more nimble speedster - so am now wondering about a chinese carbon frame and wheels. Either way its an n+1 bike so cheap is the name of the game!

I'm spending the real dollars on a Trance Advanced...
I'm building up a Ragley BigWig; although it is costing me more than I initially planned. Beautifully finished frame!

If you are going for a cheap Chinese HT, the Yishun frames are pretty good. I've had one for 2 years and it's handled everything I've thrown at it. Not that I'd recommend it but I've flat dropped some 3 footers without issue using a 32 x 120 fork.

P.S. I don't go much higher than 3ft on my Dual 'cause they scare the crap out of me!