Steel singlespeed all-mountain frame

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi guys,

I have just found a nice big crack on my Santa Cruz Chameleon so I am due for a new frame.
This is the second aluminium frame I have cracked so I am now set on steel.

So I am after recommendations for a new frame, with the following requirements:

- made out of steel
- hardtail
- designed for 26" wheels
- ideally has an all-mountain geometry, leaning towards free-ride
- single-speed ready (adjustable or horizontal dropouts)
- runs a standard 135x10/9 axle

So far I am struggling to find frames that tick all the boxes, apart form the NS Surge.

Thanks
Chris

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think the Stanton would be very happy as a singlespeed, judging by all the setups I have seen pictured and the dropout/brake mount setup.

The 2 Souls seems to fit the bill, but goddammmmm it's pricey!

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming!

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On one 456 or Cotic? Not sure if either are ss compatible off the top of my head.

You could take any 27.5" bike and ride it fine with 26" wheels in it. Make sure the tires are reasonably high volume (surly dirt wizard 2.75" maybe?). So long as the bb isn't stupid low it should be fine.

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
44 bikes is again wayyy to pricey.
456 has got vertical dropouts.
Cotic has got vertical dropouts.

Imbred could be an option. Looks like most of the builds have short and/or rigid forks so maybe a bit too light-duty for my riding style (rough all mountain)?

I'm putting in a word for the Cotic BFe. Can happily take up to 160mm forks and probably longer.
Only downside is vertical dropouts.
Running mine SS with a chain tensioner.
I'm a fan.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Could you compromise on the dropouts by using a Philcentric or Trickstuff Exzentriker EBB for threaded BB shells?

Does anyone make a PF30 BB in a steel hardtail to use the Beer Components EBB?

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Could you compromise on the dropouts by using a Philcentric or Trickstuff Exzentriker EBB for threaded BB shells?

Does anyone make a PF30 BB in a steel hardtail to use the Beer Components EBB?
Burly steel hardtail with bb/pf30 would have the purists screaming. +1 on using a philcentric and possibly adding a halflink.

I have a yess bb mounted tensioner which has done a year of fault free service.. Far better than any other tensioner I've used.

Transition make a nice hardtail that does ss.
Whyte? Might be alloy though from memory..
Kona is making a few hardtails along these lines these days..
Surly instigator V2?
Singular cycles?
Get primate cycles or another aussie custom builder to make you one? Could get it done exactly right.

Chumba has just made a resurgence. They're very expensive though (made in usa).

I had 3 old those 243s back in the day. Two fr versions and a sl version. The sl was one of my favourite bikes I've owned. But was stolen.. Would love to have it back..

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I really want to keep it simple, so no eccentric componentry (especially after having dealt with that POS Chameleon BB system for four years).
And I would also prefer not to go for a DJ/freeride frame like the .243, ideally it would have a more relaxed geo. Basically what the good old Chameleon had ... but steel, and with a simple horizontal/adjustable dropout system.

Thanks again for all the entries so far