Steer clear of AMBC courses

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
It's an odd sort of set up, I can understand a local club holding similar things or a owner of a privately managed track offering courses, but to come along on publicly accessible tracks and make capital out of them I'd hope they'd be giving back to the community. This may be the case.

I remember WSMTB offering a similar course with an experienced riding on one of their social days for no more than the cost day membership + insurance. That was great and far better for the MTB community IMHO

crowash

Likes Dirt
I've done one of there courses and found it was great, it improved my riding instantly and I'll be signing up for another one next year. I had no issue with the organisation of the event or how it was delivered. I think people who suspect these guys are making a mint out of doing this probably aren't looking at all the business costs like insurance which would be through the roof for this sort of thing. I think posting suggesting that everyone should steer clear of a business is incredibly damaging on a forum like this.

It does sound like they have some admin issues to clear up but I think trashing someones business on a public forum without giving them a chance to air their side of the story is a bit harsh.

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've done one of there courses and found it was great, it improved my riding instantly and I'll be signing up for another one next year. I had no issue with the organisation of the event or how it was delivered. I think people who suspect these guys are making a mint out of doing this probably aren't looking at all the business costs like insurance which would be through the roof for this sort of thing. I think posting suggesting that everyone should steer clear of a business is incredibly damaging on a forum like this.

It does sound like they have some admin issues to clear up but I think trashing someones business on a public forum without giving them a chance to air their side of the story is a bit harsh.
Customers pay for a service, in this case the customers were not delivered the service after paying for it and in one case was failed to be refunded. Poor effort on the company's side mate, if they want a good reputation then they can earn it. Simple.

S.

ex offender
I ran a course for these guys at the You Yangs earlier this year. Communication was borderline non-existent (never even met the owner/organiser) and I still haven't been paid for it. The teaching (and I say this as the instructor) was not at all well-organised in my opinion - they had no specific requirements for instructor certification, nor for teaching curriculum. All the guys on my Learning To Fly (ie downhill specific) course turned up on XC bikes - two of them were hardtails, which somewhat contravened what I'd been told I was going to be instructing on. Apparently nobody had made it clear to them exactly what they were going to be doing.

If you're looking for skills instruction, I highly recommend you look for properly trained instructors for starters. I know the Bike Techniques guys are all PMBI trained which, having taken a PMBI course myself, is a certification I regard quite highly as the instructors' course is extremely thorough. A decently run business wouldn't hurt either, this kind of disorganised crap being passed off as a professional service is bad for the entire MTB industry.

Last edited: