stem location on steerer

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just wondering how the stem location on the steerer tube effects the bike. I have been mucking aroudn all day with different combinations and I can feel the difference when I lower hte stem but I dont' know what is different. Anyone got any info?

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mmmm: Low bars = More "snappy" steering, good for climbing the steeps, with the weight well low and foward.

High Bars: More lift, will make it easier to lift the bike over obsticals, hop etc....

Jordy

RYD4LF
mainly its comfort but on a motorbike it makes it easier to pop the front wheel up with them higher

S.

ex offender
Turley said:
how does high bars vs low bars effect steering etc?
High bars are closer to your eyes, so there's better response time with steering due to less lag distance.

Rik

logged out
Socket said:
High bars are closer to your eyes, so there's better response time with steering due to less lag distance.
Only if you shorten your arms to suit. Or you could increase your nerve voltage by drinking battery acid, to give a stronger signal that's less susceptible to interference.

Umm, apart from that, just play around and find the best one. High isn't always good, and doesn't always make things easier to lift, so just try different combinations so you get the best comfort vs handling for your style of riding.

S.

ex offender
Rik said:
Socket said:
Only if you shorten your arms to suit. Or you could increase your nerve voltage by drinking battery acid, to give a stronger signal that's less susceptible to interference.

Umm, apart from that, just play around and find the best one. High isn't always good, and doesn't always make things easier to lift, so just try different combinations so you get the best comfort vs handling for your style of riding.
No, when your arms are more bent, the nerves bunch up at the inside, taking the shortest line from brain to hands. Kind of like apexing a corner, it's faster that way.