Steve's Whistler 2010 thread... updated 18/08, Canadian Open race run

S.

ex offender
New thread for the 2010 season!

For best quality, click the Vimeo logo, then download the original file from the link on the right side of the page below the video itself.

First vid - one of the many many reasons why you should be in Whistler right now... this is a big rock roll, I'd guess between 25-30ft high (75ft if using the Pinkbike ruler), on a trail near my house. This was the first time I'd ridden it, notably it was damp, the rock is covered in moss, and you basically go from 0-60km/h (did not measure actual speed, probably a gross exaggeration) in the space of about 1.5 seconds which feels like you've just been shot out of a catapult. I was sh*tting bricks beforehand.

[video=vimeo;12481198]http://www.vimeo.com/12481198[/video]

2. Squamish trails, Peanuts to 19th Hole to Pseudo-Tsuga. 19th Hole is probably the sickest trail I've ever ridden. Unfortunately chestcams don't show gradient or roughness at all!
[video=vimeo;12871489]http://vimeo.com/12871489[/video]

3. Hucks and skids on D1. Did a little bit of filming with a mate's HD GoPro on one of those little bendy rubber tripod things, not exactly Anthill quality but it's not the worst thing in the world either.
[video=vimeo;13809015]http://vimeo.com/13809015[/video]

4. Canadian Open - race run. No music, just so you can see and hear what it's actually like. I didn't have the best run, but Gee Atherton took 37 seconds out of my time. This is far and away the most intense course I've ever raced, there is just no respite whatsoever.
[video=vimeo;14199820]http://vimeo.com/14199820[/video]

Last edited:

Mugger

Senir oMermber
Sweeet, can't wait to head there this year. Guessing this just a local trail not in the park?

nskz

Likes Dirt
STEEP!

Your series of vids last year was awesome, looking forward to some more irregular poor content ^_^

JimT

Likes Dirt
New thread for the 2010 season!

First vid - one of the many many reasons why you should be in Whistler right now... this is a big rock roll, I'd guess between 25-30ft high (75ft if using the Pinkbike ruler), on a trail near my house. This was the first time I'd ridden it, notably it was damp, the rock is covered in moss, and you basically go from 0-60km/h (did not measure actual speed, probably a gross exaggeration) in the space of about 1.5 seconds which feels like you've just been shot out of a catapult. I was sh*tting bricks beforehand.
Hey Steve,

Nice work! Rock rolls scare the living crap out of me. Have you ridden Tower of Power - on the road to Pemberton?

There are a few rock rolls on that that are "s*hit your pants" scary. There is some footage of Mick Hannah doing a few in Illusionary Lines.

S.

ex offender
Hey Steve,

Nice work! Rock rolls scare the living crap out of me. Have you ridden Tower of Power - on the road to Pemberton?

There are a few rock rolls on that that are "s*hit your pants" scary. There is some footage of Mick Hannah doing a few in Illusionary Lines.
Nah I haven't, pretty keen to check out Pemby/Squamish though. Hard to find anyone with a ute who wants to shuttle down there though.

@Jimass - on a Banshee Legend Mk2.

This year I'm keen to get more footage from outside the well-known trails in the bike park, though there are still a few trails in the park that I don't have on camera. Super keen to get Crazy Train on camera, that trail had me sweating bullets a few times.

ademb

Likes Dirt
thats frikkan sweet mate. Hows the bike go on the trails outside the park? Is it super peddly to get places or not so bad? Im just tryin to work out what type of bike to take over there in Aug.

Looking forward to seeing more vids too, the amount of times i watched the vids in ur last thread was ridiculous haha

Leeroy26

Likes Dirt
Hey Steve,

Are you still using the Go Pro HD.... I'm deciding on Go Pro HD or Contour 1080 before we come over to Whistler.

I like to compact design of the Contour 1080, but I love the footage you get from the possition of the chest cam!!:confused:

Is it a pain to wear the chest mount? What are most people using over there?

Cheers,

S.

ex offender
thats frikkan sweet mate. Hows the bike go on the trails outside the park? Is it super peddly to get places or not so bad? Im just tryin to work out what type of bike to take over there in Aug.

Looking forward to seeing more vids too, the amount of times i watched the vids in ur last thread was ridiculous haha
Whistler and surrounding area isn't really about finding an appropriate bike to suit the trails, more about finding appropriate trails to suit your bike - whatever you bring you will have tons of fun on. There is everything from epic XC rides to the most completely off-the-wall DH trails imaginable. That particular trail finishes about 200m from my house and is accessible without much pedalling. I only have a DH bike here, sometimes wish I had a 5" or so trailbike that I could pedal uphill because there is so much stuff here, but if I could only bring one bike then it'd definitely be the DHer.

S.

ex offender
Hey Steve,

Are you still using the Go Pro HD.... I'm deciding on Go Pro HD or Contour 1080 before we come over to Whistler.

I like to compact design of the Contour 1080, but I love the footage you get from the possition of the chest cam!!:confused:

Cheers,
Yeah got a GoPro, not the HD version though. There is really no reason whatsoever to get the Contour over the GoPro IMO, the picture quality is comparable but the chest mount is a way better perspective, and you get so many more options with the GoPro as far as mounting, recording modes etc go. If I had the money I'd upgrade to a GoPro HD for sure.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Good on ya ! You had the balls to have a crack, and you nailed it sweetly !!!:):):)
Haha.. had the balls to have a crack.. sounds rude..
Nah i'm just an idiot.:D that does look kinda scary though, reckon i'd be sitting up there for a long while before i rolled in.. good work

Tobe25

Likes Bikes
Hey Steve,

Is this trail your referring to just outside Pemberton, theres a gap/step down that goes right under a big steel powerline and the bottom of it comes out at the highway? Also known as "the 306"? If so I know what you mean about the rollers, one of them is soo steep and gnarly..went and scoped the whole trail out with some mates about a month ago but it looked like it needed a bit of TLC before its rideable.

As for riding outside of whistler Steve I definately recommend Squamish, theres a lot of sick trails there for sure, though not sure how it compares to whistler as I haven't ridden there yet..I didn't get to stoked on what I rode around pemberton, but I'm sure there would be some sick trails around if you spoke to the right people. :)

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
About time you posted something up Stevo!

Happen to stuble onto your ski vids as well. Some sick tree runs....noice! Didn't know you were that good a skiier. Couple of "moments" in there as well.:D

Hux out!

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Hey Steve,

Cheers,
Hey mate. I bought the Go Pro HD during the winter season over here. The quality of footage you get from it is pretty awesome!! I went for the Go Pro over the contour purely for the chest mount. The Contour is a much simpler camera as in it has one slide button you operate to start and stop filming. The go pro HD is much more complicated but can do a lot more. It has about 4 or 5 different settings and 2 buttons. It can take 5 megapixel still photos and you can set it to take stills as you ride every 3, 5, or 10 secs I think. It also has a self timer function as well I think.

Basically, when snowboarding all the settings were a little bit of a pain cos the helmet is mounted on your helmet and when turning the camera on to film you never really knew what setting it was on unless you kept asking mates. This won't be as much a problem when riding with it chest mounted as you should be able to see the little screen yourself.

I only got back into Whistler yesterday and have to order the chest mount strap for the camera but when I get it and get up the hill I'll post some vids up.

Oh and filming on HD takes up a SHITE load of space. I filmed over 20gb in one day fairly easy during winter so will want a external hard drive to put all the footage on.

Leeroy26

Likes Dirt
Hey mate. I bought the Go Pro HD during the winter season over here. The quality of footage you get from it is pretty awesome!! I went for the Go Pro over the contour purely for the chest mount. The Contour is a much simpler camera as in it has one slide button you operate to start and stop filming. The go pro HD is much more complicated but can do a lot more. It has about 4 or 5 different settings and 2 buttons. It can take 5 megapixel still photos and you can set it to take stills as you ride every 3, 5, or 10 secs I think. It also has a self timer function as well I think.

Basically, when snowboarding all the settings were a little bit of a pain cos the helmet is mounted on your helmet and when turning the camera on to film you never really knew what setting it was on unless you kept asking mates. This won't be as much a problem when riding with it chest mounted as you should be able to see the little screen yourself.

I only got back into Whistler yesterday and have to order the chest mount strap for the camera but when I get it and get up the hill I'll post some vids up.

Oh and filming on HD takes up a SHITE load of space. I filmed over 20gb in one day fairly easy during winter so will want a external hard drive to put all the footage on.
Yeah got a GoPro, not the HD version though. There is really no reason whatsoever to get the Contour over the GoPro IMO, the picture quality is comparable but the chest mount is a way better perspective, and you get so many more options with the GoPro as far as mounting, recording modes etc go. If I had the money I'd upgrade to a GoPro HD for sure.

Cheers guys! Very helpfull!!

Looking forward to some more footage!!!