Stinky vs atomik

xave_norco14

Likes Bikes
hey guys, i have been looking at some duallies at around the 3000 dollar mark and the ones that appealed to me the most where the kona stinky and the norco atomik. i was just wondering which bike you guys thought would be better for the use of freeride and DH. thanks

'Ross

Eats Squid
Aesthetically i'd go with the stinky; Norco FS bikes look like shit.
But the atomik has nicer spec and seems to be better for the price.

Sigh... Another norco...

06/07 stinkys are some of the ugliest bikes ever! Specs would help.

STRETCH JP

Likes Dirt
Norco Atomik's are nice but I have to go with the Kona Stinky, there easy to maintain and look pretty good, but every one has there own opinion, but the atomiks still nice. The geometry of the Stinky also feels really good for freeriding and feels stable doing downhill.:)

Matt H

Eats Squid
Get the Norco. It's better suited to DH/Freeriding than the Kona.
Mmm... That really doesn't make any sense.
The stinky is a Freeride bike, it has more appropriate freeride geometry.
The Atomik is a really confused looking bike.
Now that i think about it, the specs seem similar enough to simply say that it comes down to looks and opinion.
And IMO the stinky is a better bike.

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Mmm... That really doesn't make any sense.
The stinky is a Freeride bike, it has more appropriate freeride geometry.
The Atomik is a really confused looking bike.
Now that i think about it, the specs seem similar enough to simply say that it comes down to looks and opinion.
And IMO the stinky is a better bike.
Ok, What I was trying to say was that the FSR 4-Bar rear end of the Norco is (IN MY OPINOIN, and I'm entitiled to it OK) is a better rear suspension than the Walking beam 4-Bar on the Kona. It has ALOT more to do with the "Spec" and "Looks". The bikes have quite different frame designs and will ride differently to each other.

A mate bought a Stinky, and I bought a Norco. My mate is NOW on his SECOND Norco.

In the end it comes down the individual. But be warned, both bikes will ride differently, and its up to the individual which bike feels best for them. If you can, try both bikes and buy which ever feels best.

Cheers, Shorerider.

xave_norco14

Likes Bikes
yer i have been told that the suspension set up on the norco is better. although i think it sounds like a good idea to try both bikes out first before purchase.

yakuza type R

Likes Dirt
i would personally go for a kona over a norco. but looking at the stinky spec's and they are crap.
looking at the atomik and that has awsome spec on it and allso looks better.

looked at the other kona stinkys and there is some nice ones there, like the stinky primo. i'm not sure if thats in your price range, buts that the stinky i would get.

but it comes down to individual, and remember your the one whos going to be riding it not us. so as shorerider said before test out both bikes and see which one suite you better.

when you take it for a test ride, don't ride like a wussy, give it a bit of a flogging to see which one is better.

Plow King

Little bit.
For those of you saying that the stinky is as good I have no idea what you are talking about, the stinky has drop off tripples which are craptacular, compared to the atomik which has super ts which are very capable and proven forks. The atomik has sram x7 which is MUCH better than bottom of the line shitmano, the atomik comes with a chainguide, where as the stinky comes with a dual ring thingo.

And talk about rear suspension, konas have no feel to them, I would take the norco proven fsr system over the kona system, whatever the heck system that is.

Matt H

Eats Squid
For those of you saying that the stinky is as good I have no idea what you are talking about, the stinky has drop off tripples which are craptacular, compared to the atomik which has super ts which are very capable and proven forks. The atomik has sram x7 which is MUCH better than bottom of the line shitmano, the atomik comes with a chainguide, where as the stinky comes with a dual ring thingo.

And talk about rear suspension, konas have no feel to them, I would take the norco proven fsr system over the kona system, whatever the heck system that is.
Umm hahahahahaha - you said "norco proven fsr"
I think specialized and horst leitner are kinda responsibe for where FSR is today :rolleyes:
And norco are kinda paying license fees to specialized

Plow King

Little bit.
Umm hahahahahaha - you said "norco proven fsr"
I think specialized and horst leitner are kinda responsibe for where FSR is today :rolleyes:
And norco are kinda paying license fees to specialized
Norco have a proven fsr system, I never stated that norco made the first fsr system,

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You mean faux-bar?
True, the stinky's use faux bar which means brake jake, more pedal bob blah blah blah.
2007 stinkys have some new type of brake linkage thats prevents brake jack D.O.P.E I think it's called. I agree with nekroman here Im sure they are both very capable bikes but the atomik is hell ugly and I would much rather prefer the stinky.

grego

Likes Bikes
How can some of you guys put them in the same category the specs on the atomik are much much better then the specs of the stinky. As well as the stinky looks like poo haha get it poo stinky haha.

But i would go the atomik over stinky any day.