Stock or mod for noob?

Gronk

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, I know there is a lengthy poll on this topic on which is preferred. I'm just wondering if a stock or mod is easier to learn on. I ride mtn bikes now, and have heard that you should stick to whatever wheel size you're used to. But that said there is a Rhino mod on here for cheap and I'm thinking it could be fun to fool around on.... but are mods easier ot harder to learn on?? Ppl in the poll said mods were more maneuverable, but are there any other considerations?

Thanks

Binaural

Eats Squid
If you plan on having a trials bike that can occasionally be pedalled from place to place (=seat) then you should only consider a stocker. If you will be tossing the bike in a car and taking it places to do trials, then a mod may suit you better. The smaller wheels seem to be a big advantage for natural stuff more than street-orientated trials.

Gronk

Likes Dirt
Nah I'm not too worried about pedalling it places, it can just go in the car. Never having seen a mod in real let alone ridden one, how do they feel? Are you really hunched over like standing up on a bmx, or does that long a$$ stem make up for that and the geo isn't too 'weird' feeling?

Macbeth

NSWMTB
As you are coming from a MTB background i would say stick with 26inch. Mods are easier to learn static moves like gaps and sidehops, but a 26 will also allow you to learn a lot of moves that will make you a better trail rider. I have always ridden 26 and while I do enjoy the flickiness of 20s, they are much harder to do rolling moves on as the wheels are smaller..... 26 all the way from me....

As for stock bikes having a seat, there are no decent geo trials bikes from any of the bigger trials manufacturers now that have a seat, and many of the newer bikes are running small ratio singlespeed gearing so you are gonna have to chuck it in the car anyways......

disappearin

Likes Dirt
a mod will feel weird if you have been riding a normal mtb but you will get used to it. having just sold my mod and got my 1st stock trials bike i think the stock is better. i cant do as much in the way of tech stuff on the stock but its easier for me to ride trials on. the mod was more fun to play around on as it was light and nimble which made spins, pedal kicks and hops easier but it was harder to manual and didnt like to roll stuff like the 26in wheels do. best bet would be to try and get a ride on a mod & a stock bike. mods are usually cheaper and are less prone to break but id prefer a 26in.

macbeth didnt you have a couple of 26in echo pures for sale? be good 1st trials bike

Last edited:

Gronk

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys. Still not 100% sure yet. The idea of learning techy stuff easier on a mod is appealing, plus the fact that look so weird hehe. I have an stp already so I'm guessing theoretically I could so some 26" stuff on that. But when I can get an entire bike for $300 (second hand), a mod does start to look pretty good :)

Hüp

Likes Bikes
I come from an MTB background, and still ride 26 inch, but much prefer a mod for trials, especially for learning on. It's just a matter of adjusting from one to the other, which I'm forced to do quite frequently, often multiple times a day, if I'm riding trials and then go on an MTB ride. Also, it's a great feeling when you try and ride trials for a while on the 26 inch and you switch to the Mod and everything's so much easier ;)