stolen bikes

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
I agree with Frank-oi, couriers are the best people to look at when it comes to bike security, or at least the ones with good bikes.

They carry MASSIVE locks (the thick linked ones that are about an inch in diameter) that they wear slung over one shoulder. Total pain in the butt to casually carry around with you, though...

They also hide the brand/paintjob by wrapping their bikes with either black tape (the fabric kind that's used for sports) or even better, an innertube that's been cut and split down the middle and wrapped around the frames major tubes. This also does a good job of protecting the frame. But if you're proud of your bike and wanna show it off to everyone, obviously, this isn't a great option.

But couriers don't remove their seats or wheels because of the time factor.

I have a beater bike that I use when just cruising around, commuting or doing errands. The good bike only comes out for real riding. That's the best plan IMO.

S.

ex offender
Only the difference is that your bike has a quick-release seatpost.... do you happen to notice a quick-release lever on your pedals?

S.

ex offender
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckin

leave it off! nobody can pinch it unless they have tools on em then! if they do, you're screwed anyway, so don't worry bout it!

sut

Squid
I went to a farm mechandise store and brought a metre of drag chain that they use for towing sh#t with tractors, then went to a locksmith and got really good padlock. You need a angle grinder to cut through the chain and lock or a really big set of boltcutters.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
SpectRe said:
I have my bike insured under an insurance firm that looks after bikers (we had to switch our home and contents ins. over to this firm as well.)
What firm are you with SpectRe? I need to organise some contents insurance now that my assets are starting to accumulate a bit...

fastrider gus

super huck
a dude from melbourne got all his and his bro's bikes nicked during the day! an '02 M1 with boxxer WC's, his norco 250cc jump bike, XC bike and his brothers 222 and dabomb!
that is the worst nicking that i have heard of.

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
I have a 6month old red/yello Giant DHTeam frameset being upgraded with boxxer teams, trailpimp rims, aireal hubs, 8" XT's . . .etc etc. (I had parts from my old ride just thrown on the new frame so i could ride :) , now selling these parts back on the original frame and building up my DHTeam )

The Insurance crew that looks after bikers, that i mentioned earlier in this thread is called Middleditch Insurance, based in Melbourne.
When i picked up my spankers new frame that had been sitting in a shop in Mansfield VIC, the topic of insurance came up and the guy in the shop gave us the phone number of Middleditch Ins. Its been all good since then:D
I could dig up some more information if you like.

S.

ex offender
SpectRe said:
I have a 6month old red/yello Giant DHTeam frameset being upgraded with boxxer teams, trailpimp rims, aireal hubs, 8" XT's . . .etc etc. (I had parts from my old ride just thrown on the new frame so i could ride :) , now selling these parts back on the original frame and building up my DHTeam )

The Insurance crew that looks after bikers, that i mentioned earlier in this thread is called Middleditch Insurance, based in Melbourne.
When i picked up my spankers new frame that had been sitting in a shop in Mansfield VIC, the topic of insurance came up and the guy in the shop gave us the phone number of Middleditch Ins. Its been all good since then:D
I'd appreciate some contact info for Middleditch? Phone number etc? Thanks.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
SpectRe said:

I'd appreciate some contact info for Middleditch? Phone number etc? Thanks.
yaa me too

curtisrider

Eats Squid
fastrider gus said:
a dude from melbourne got all his and his bro's bikes nicked during the day! an '02 M1 with boxxer WC's, his norco 250cc jump bike, XC bike and his brothers 222 and dabomb!
Jeez word gets around dosn't it.

S.

ex offender
01_250 said:
fastrider gus said:
Jeez word gets around dosn't it.
It does, but Jarah posting it all over FTF is probably the cause...

G

XC MISSION

There was an merida XC mission stolen from rockingham 2 days ago its a hell sweet bike the mechanic is devistates :(