Stop digging in studley park!

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
If the dudes that have reopened the closed singletrack leading down to the Johnson st bridge from the bench lookout are on here please understand this.
Parks will close more or all of the ST from abbotsford to chandler Hwy if we don’t respect their closures. This is not a battle we can win. The mtb community only stands to lose more if this continues.
We are all in this together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saddens me to hear that this is how things have unfolded in Studley Park. Likewise I'm devastated to hear that it's an end of an era with the pump track. From being a small project that was built in late 2006/early 2007 & served the bike community up until recently, it's been a great place for people to meet, hang out & cut hours upon hours of laps- it was a place that forged friendships among strangers; it helped create cohesion not only between the mtb, bmx & broader cycling community, but also with PV (believe it or not); it also served to stamp out what had been both a local beat, illegal dumping hot spot, & drop-in place for the local smack & meth heads (who were all dealt with very unceremoniously when I encountered them). It became a place where parents brought their kids on their bikes, where older mtbers brought their kids to play, where absolute novices came to hone there techniques & local shredheads gathered to shoot the breeze while trying to out do one another- it was a fun, safe environment for people of all walks with a love of two wheels to hang out, & while on paper it was an illegal facility I'll always be proud of the legacy it created as far as bringing people together & creating a fun, safe space for people of all ages. Hence the somewhat bitter taste that's been left in my mouth that there weren't more things done to stamp out the recent developments in the area.

Staunch, those who were/are long time regulars in the area & followers of the Yarra Trails thread know what's what, who's who & how its creation came about, likewise the very productive & mutually respectful relationships that had been developed with over a decade's worth of PV head rangers & PV staff from the Studley Park offices, prior to the recent explosion of illegal building in the last 3yrs. I was always appreciative of the fact that there were a group of equally minded guys who stepped up to take over the caretaking roll of the pump track once I took a secondment to NSW; coming back 12mths later to see that people with a similar passion for two wheels had decided to get involved made me happy because it meant that I could relinquish the baton & continue to stamp out the string of illegal & inappropriate trails being built & maintaining the main trails between Abbotsford & the Chandler as I had done since 2002, it was just unfortunate your crew didn't get in & shutdown the alternate jumps that were carved in next to it. Sadly the area seems to be a closed case now, but I'd certainly encourage you guys to connect with the Big JDs, CharlieDontSurfs & the host of other Burners & people who do give a shit about the bigger picture as far as petitioning for recognition of mtbers as a legitimate & conscientious user group of the area. PV are well aware that there are a large number of levelheaded & proactive riders who will step to the plate to stamp out inappropriate development in the area, but there needs to be evidence of these people taking action to shutdown the wonton building of random trail. I've no doubt that PV's current take on the Studley Park area is that there's no longer the regulating from within as there previously had been, just a complete free-for-all, so as such they have to go in hard in the absence of anyone else doing it to put a halt to the inappropriate trail development that has popped up since moving to Qld.

Last edited:

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt

If you guys like the pump track enjoy it and continue doing a great job shaping it ( a really fucking awesome job actually). But Please Don’t do this. Parks have destroyed it once and next time will bring in machinery to destroy it. We all stand to lose an awesome asset.
The wider mtb community doesn’t like this either.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Studley Park update

If you can keep it to the pump track- it might be allowed to stay. One trail in and out. If adhoc lines continue to appear then the whole area will be closed.
Like wise with the trail below the pump track from the Boulevard to the river. If it is kept to the one ST line then you might find it remains open. Parks have concerns with the multiple lines dropping off the main ST. If we cant stick to the main line then we loose the lot.
Ball is in our court

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Pump track.
There are currently 8 different lines built in and around the pump track. 6 of these trails finish on the paved walking track. That is excessive and unnecessary. If the area is too remain open we have to reduce the number of lines and our footprint on the area. Ideally there would be one line in and one out. The line closest to Studley Park Road and one line down the hill will be closed and everything else will stay open. Lets see if that improves the situation.

If we can contain our area of use, limit erosion and additional adhoc lines and show that we can self regulate, then it would go a long way with Parks and other park users.

Please help by respecting these closures and stick to the other tracks. If you see them open- please close them.
Cheers

Staunch

Eats Squid
racks. If you see them open- please close them.
Cheers
Everytime I'm there I spend 10-15 minutes covering tracks, and yet every time I rock up they're always all uncovered.
I think the primary issue is that whoever is doing the damage just isn't going to see these posts and just isn't aware.

Not sure how Parks would feel, but addition signage may help the cause, even if it's rider-produced.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Everytime I'm there I spend 10-15 minutes covering tracks, and yet every time I rock up they're always all uncovered.
I think the primary issue is that whoever is doing the damage just isn't going to see these posts and just isn't aware.

Not sure how Parks would feel, but addition signage may help the cause, even if it's rider-produced.
Me too mate- every ride but it will slowly get through I reckon.
I feel like we have got too 90% of the builders through here and other sites/ word of mouth.

Parks will be doing alot with signage to help with the side track closures

Last edited:

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Multiple lines and Big jumps next to each other are what caused Parks to destroy everything. As JD said the pump track and a few lines around it can stay if no jumps are built ( risk for PV) and extra lines that widen the footprint of the aren’t built and toned down.
Next time they are coming in with a bobcat if we can’t self regulate. This is a good opportunity to develop trust

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That is some interesting line choice. You go along the ramp and up or through the tree? If it's connected to the tree, as it appears to be in the photo, there's a chance it's a seat. Some of the local builders here have good imagination when it comes to adding features that aren't for riding.

cogs19

Likes Bikes
That is some interesting line choice. You go along the ramp and up or through the tree? If it's connected to the tree, as it appears to be in the photo, there's a chance it's a seat. Some of the local builders here have good imagination when it comes to adding features that aren't for riding.
Nah, it’s free standing (by that, I mean it’s on a post). The photo is a bit deceiving.