Stop digging in studley park!

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
To the riders with your shovels and picks chained to the tree in the Studley park area.

STOP DIGGING NEW JUMP LINES AND BERMS.....

not only are you making us look like moto riders with no care of our environment YOU WILL GET US BANNED FOR GOOD.

You want jumps and berms and smooth trails either dig your own back yard or lysterfeild is just down the road.

I will knock down every berm you build and block new trails youve cut.

Up yours for not using your brain...if you have one.:smash::smash:

Staunch

Eats Squid
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this will fall on deaf ears, none of the new generation of kids use RB now that it's so easy to buy and sell bike stuff on Facebook. Every kid I've seen digging around the area has been 16 or younger (excluding the group doing maintenance on the pump track).

Might be worth trying another platform to get your message across.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Print out your grievance, laminate it and then staple it to their foreheads...
Actually a good idea... apart from the forehead stapling action.

Print out and laminate 10-20 signs, staple it to trees/park entry spots and be informational rather than angry, explaining that their actions may ruin it for everyone.

Alternatively a 'game camera' place at the tool pick up point picturing the kids, then you need to identify them and have a word with mum and dad.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
That's all I'd take from this... (mumble, grumble... fun police... cough)
I hear you... but with young kids attitude and the 'fuk em' actions already, its prob better to take the nice approach to calm the situation.

Might even be an option to invite them to actual trail work days.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I hear you... but with young kids attitude and the 'fuk em' actions already, its prob better to take the nice approach to calm the situation.

Might even be an option to invite them to actual trail work days.
I must begrudgingly agree, but if option one doesn't pan out then keep that staple gun to hand.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
if the tools are chained to a tree, a person who was so inclined could fill the padlock with epoxy.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
So which new bits are you talking about? The new jumps and lines around the pump track or elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
There are several new badly made area's in studley park which im not going to locate to keep them unriden.

None of them are near the pump track.

Dont get me wrong i love a (well built)berm and jump (not huck to flat)im not trying to be fun police but ride what is there and respect the park, as mountain bikers we have a bad enough name as it is.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
By studley Park I assume your talking about the Park area itself from the boulevard to the river between the teardrop and river retreat street. Everywhere else between chandler Hwy and river retreat street below the boulie and the ST above the boulie is not studley Park.
Building inside Studley Park is definitely not on and will force PV to close trails that are already there. I would also say that the recent additions to the pump track area have caught their attention and could end up the same.
Nathan’s pump track is a Yarra trails icon. I would happily destroy every jump and new trail around it for the pump track to remain

Cranker

Likes Dirt
To the riders with your shovels and picks chained to the tree in the Studley park area.

STOP DIGGING NEW JUMP LINES AND BERMS.....

You want jumps and berms and smooth trails either dig your own back yard or lysterfeild is just down the road.

:
Oh great send them down to dig up Lysterfield!!!! lol

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
The pump track is great...for new riders and experienced riders but the mess that has sprung up around it has already caught PV eye and put up signs. they were ripped down im sure the same day.

Im know you have been reading this as your shovels the picks are now gone but your digging hasnt stopped!

Today i had to wreck part of an old trail that you have put badly made berms in. this trail has been open long before i was born and you will get it closed.

STOP DIGGING

IF I CATCH YOU DIGGING, I DONT CARE HOW OLD OR YOUNG YOU ARE YOU GOING TO UNBUILD THE TRAILS WITH YOUR BLEEDING BROKEN FINGERS

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Name change needed..."robbierager" seems more suitable. You should've busted the tools when you had the chance. It often amuses me the difference of opinion on what is well built and what is not. A lot of the local stuff up here is considered pretty rad by some and shitty by others. The split is usually based on what people like to ride...

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
Im in my 40s and lived around the area most of my life and riden and raced 2 wheels since i was out of nappies...

Yes the trails are rad but if you have no experience from riding other well built trails and berms then the only experience you have building is from pinkbike/youtube etc etc....

Im angry about all the effort over the years of keeping the trails open to all only to have them shut from these persons digging.

They are a great local asset to the mtb culture..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
#rager

I totally understand your concerns. It is an ongoing issue around here as well. We are under a lot of scrutiny from NPWS and the only people actively engaging them are producing pretty bland stuff. And like your trails, some people probably view them as an amazing asset while others will see them as boring and in the way of adventure. So every now and then shit happens and it is usually pretty ordinary, the most recent being an effort to make the "dirt jumps" more like dirt jumps that has just left them fucked and open to even more erosion. Poor planning and implementation are the issue.

Recently the group widely referred to as "grumpy old men" threw out a bit of an olive branch by building some reasonable sized jumps. Sure the jumps actually suck, they are poorly designed and in my opinion are more dangerous than the many monsters that have been pulled down over the years, but they had the desired outcome. Heaps of teenagers rocked up for the build, heaps of guys that will never ride the jumps turned up, and everyone worked together and made them. They have kept the kids under control since as they are now all too busy questing for big air on the new jumps.

I'd be pursuing collaboration on some trail work that is more exciting and official.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I appreciate your need for jumps but this stuff will have huge consequences for the entire network- you have been warned. Cant spell it out any clearer.
Unfortunately there are no official trails along the Yarra and certainly not anything they could sink their teeth into- berms and jumps. Personally I feel everything west of Chandler is a complete no go for digging at this time. I have been requesting permission to simply cut the grass for over 2 years without success. If I was keen on building jumps i would be looking east of Burke Road. There are a number of out of the way and off the main ST spots that have had stuff built over the past 20 years. There was talk of a proper built jumps area and pump track above Dwight's Falls and below the Teardrop Crit - you know where the concrete wall is. Why don't you lobby local government and stakeholders for a designated area. There are so many avenues for funding, heaps of volunteers and experienced builders. You need some space, soil, builders, code of conduct and you could have a kick arse spot.
Go on you lot- put your passion into creating something significant instead of scraping out shitty illegal stuff

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Nathan's pump track hey? Where's that name come from?
He built it from nothing and maintained it for many years. All the new stuff has popped up since he moved interstate. Lives in Qld now.

Last edited: