Storing Bikes Upside Down?

Megahead

Likes Bikes
For the last few months I've been storing my bikes upside down on a table in the garage - mainly so the kids don't pull one over onto a car. I just noticed though that the forks on one are leaking a bit of oil. I've never had the forks on this bike serviced and I bought it new in 2007 so I guess that it's due some new seals.
Question is though - is it OK to store your bikes upside down for long periods?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
had the same issue on my rebas ... not heaps of lube but enough to annoy you.

After a bit of use I have no issues with the fork and its running good as usual.

Not a 100% certain, but I presume XC fork seals aren't as air tight (for lack of a better word) then their DH and FR counter parts. I know as an example DH forks are recommended to be stored inverted to get the lube into areas it wouldn't normally.

So presuming you didn't lose all your fork oil, it should be fine.

My lesson learnt I guess is not to store XC rigs fully inverted, I've been storing them horizontal for quite sometime on the shed walls and they seem to be ok with this, so maybe stick them on the walls instead of the table

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Never had issues with leaky seals but at my last place I stored my bike hanging from the wall (like the pic). This was pretty good so long as they were ridden frequently - if they say for too long then the brakes would need a bleed but no other dramas.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I stored mine upside down for a few days and the oil leaked out onto my bars and stem.
Maybe about 50mls.

Since then, the lockout function hasn't worked on my fork.

Everything else seems normal.

I won't do it again though.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had issues with my bike when on the wall or inverted. The brakes (juicy) were a in need of a good bleed so after inverting or lifting the front high for a period of time they would be very spongy for a while. After properly bleeding there is not as much of an issue.

screw loose

Likes Dirt
I stored mine upside down for a few days and the oil leaked out onto my bars and stem.
Maybe about 50mls.

Since then, the lockout function hasn't worked on my fork.

Everything else seems normal.

I won't do it again though.
Rebas with a silver Gate Adjustment on top?

You've lost some dampening oil from the top of the fork. LBS, fluid top up. Shouldn't cost the full service of the fork, but if it hasn't been done in a while, might be time to give her some lurve.

LurvsMTB

Likes Bikes
I've read (I think the Fox manual?? Not sure?) somewhere that you should store your bike upside down on a regular basis to ensure that enough oil gets into your foamy rings within the seal to ensure good lubrication. Oil coming out means dirt doesn't get in. The oil on your stanchins (?) is good for the buttery smooth feel also.

If you have serious oil leaking out of your seals when your bike is upside down, then your seals probably need a either a service or replaced. Or worse yet, you could have some damage to your stanchins (wear through the anodizing) and your seal is not sealing anymore...

Out of interest, I store my bikes upside down for a few nights each week, and have never had leakage issues - and I have both Rock Shox (Rebas) and Fox RLC's.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
Storing your bike upside down is good for it but like everything else, moderation is the key. I'll chuck all my bikes upside down from time to time but only for a day, 2 at most. This is to allow fluids that have settled in the bottom of the for legs to work they're way back around the fork properly lubing bushes etc. .

Leave it upside down too long and you'll start to lose fluids through the seals/dust wipers and top caps. I once left a bike at work upside down, kinda forgot about it and 3 weeks later had a nice puddle of fluid that had seeped through top cap on the damper side.

If it's any more than a few drops it may be time for a service.

Digging up an old thread.

I recently stored my bike upside down for about 36 hours and noticed oil had leaked from my forks and was all over my handlebars. It appeared to be coming from where the upper enters the lower part of forks. Does this mean my seal need replacing or is it normal? Will it be ok to put more oil back in the fork or should I have them serviced first?

Thanks.

moorey

call me Mia
My first though is that they shouldn't leak. What forks?
My second thought is to commend you for searching, rather than just starting a new thread. :thumb:

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
I had been hanging my GT from the front wheel for a little while. was ok as I was out and about on it every couple of days. Then I had to go away for a week and it stayed on the hook for the whole time. Took it out for a ride and it felt pretty ordinary, small vibration and not smooth at all.

Took it to astroboyracer who built it up in the first place and we replaced the seals and checked everything over. All looks fine. But we replaced the seals anyway, they had done 500kms at most. Feels great again now and I am not hanging it up any more.

moorey

call me Mia
Nfi then. Some people used to recommend storing upside down to keep oil on seals. I never have, so can't help.
Coil or air recons?

Old C

Likes Bikes
I have been storing two bikes, hanging from the front wheel for seven years, one has RS Reba, the other Fox 34 CTD. Neither leak at all, and run without noticeable performance changes, even if I have not ridden one for weeks. The forks should not leak anything, if they do, then it is overdue for a service.

Brakes that go spongy probably have a small leak in them, as they should be fully evacuated of air as well, so hanging them upside-down should make no difference, but then, there are some problematic brakes around (both mine are Avid, so lets not go down that path)

John U

MTB Precision
I had a bike with a boxxer and a bike with a fox 36 hung from the front wheel. Both with seals in good knick. Both forks leaked oil on fucking hot days (40 plus, it gets hot in my garage). I take this as being the result of reduced viscosity of the fluid due to the heat. I don't hang them up on hot days anymore.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I have been storing two bikes, hanging from the front wheel for seven years, one has RS Reba, the other Fox 34 CTD. Neither leak at all, and run without noticeable performance changes, even if I have not ridden one for weeks. The forks should not leak anything, if they do, then it is overdue for a service.

Brakes that go spongy probably have a small leak in them, as they should be fully evacuated of air as well, so hanging them upside-down should make no difference, but then, there are some problematic brakes around (both mine are Avid, so lets not go down that path)
Yep, I have hung RS Sid RCTs and xx, Reba's , dt swiss, leftys, fox floats and never had oil leak out. Hanging probably isn't the problem, farked seals probably is.

I had issues with my bike when on the wall or inverted. The brakes (juicy) were a in need of a good bleed so after inverting or lifting the front high for a period of time they would be very spongy for a while. After properly bleeding there is not as much of an issue.
Same thing here - had issues with my Shimano hydraulic brakes going spongy when hanging or inverted for a period of time. Required bleeding to fix.

Makes sense when you think about it - air rises over the oil, disc calipers being higher than the master cylinders cop all the air.

Now store the bikes horizontal, right way up. Lesson learned.

Can't comment on the forks - mine are rigid.

Markee

Likes Dirt
Same thing here - had issues with my Shimano hydraulic brakes going spongy when hanging or inverted for a period of time. Required bleeding to fix.

Makes sense when you think about it - air rises over the oil, disc calipers being higher than the master cylinders cop all the air.

Now store the bikes horizontal, right way up. Lesson learned.

Can't comment on the forks - mine are rigid.
To add to this re Shimano hydraulic brakes and hanging by the front wheel.

I found mine were not 'full' after the last bleed and therefore hanging the bike allowed the air to leave the lever and and enter the system.
Fixed it with a re-bleed and making sure the lever reservoir/master cyclinder was topped off. So with no air they can be stored hanging by the front wheel without worries.