Strange tips for strange times...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I don’t know what to expect @ozzybmx. Was supposed to get ours sorted on Friday, two years late.

Got the text from the new ISP saying it was good to go (PTTN - pigeon to the node)... but old ADSL service was still active?? Ring new ISP, hmmm strange... several tests later, NBN tech has connected the wrong line. It’s two wires FFS, and it doesn’t matter which way around they go!

Flow-Rider

Burner
We had a shitload of problems with NBN, phone line would continually drop out for months on ends, then it went into stutter rap mode for a while. Made a crap load of complaints and probably spent a few full days on hold if I added up all the hrs wasted.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I don’t know what to expect @ozzybmx. Was supposed to get ours sorted on Friday, two years late.

Got the text from the new ISP saying it was good to go (PTTN - pigeon to the node)... but old ADSL service was still active?? Ring new ISP, hmmm strange... several tests later, NBN tech has connected the wrong line. It’s two wires FFS, and it doesn’t matter which way around they go!
I have not looked into it for a while but about 2-3 years ago, I found that Aussiebroadband were the only ones that said they would not sell more bandwith that they had purchased and guaranteed that any issues are sorted out in Australia (no offshore call centres). I believe some others work like Aeroplane companies and sell more tickets that they have seats, working on the idea that not everyone is going to turn up... or be online at the same time.
My speed has not changed in 2 years... took about 6 months of dropouts till they found the fault and my speed nearly doubled when it was fixed.

There are a lot of people even within 1km of me that have issues, probably because the NBN used the old Telstra copper from the node to existing properties, FTTN.
If you are FTTP (Fiber To The Property), I believe it is really good.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Signed up with Aussie for the reasons stated, but we’ll have about 550m of 10+ year old copper between the node and our house. Given the current pisspoor ADSL sync rates, expectations are not high.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Mine got changed to NBN a couple of weeks ago. My cable internet was faster on a speed test but I haven't noticed any differences.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I've got a bit of a luxury at my place, I've had the NBN now for about 8 months because apparently the old cable was getting switched off. Somebody forgot to flick the switch on the infrastructure but remembered to on the billing. I now have the NBN and free cable.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Don't forget people can see you while you're skyping or zooming.
It is a problem. The zoom settings have options to start all calls on mute or have video off. You can also have a fake virtual background with scenes of grassy fields or the Golden Gate bridge etc. to stop your co-workers from seeing your home office.

Mute and a post it note over a webcam camera can help if you don't have a privacy screen already.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I believe some others work like Aeroplane companies and sell more tickets that they have seats, working on the idea that not everyone is going to turn up... or be online at the same time.
They all work to this model to soem extent or they can't make money.

They have to over subscribe and manage the available bandwidth. Cheaper ones generally have higher oversubscription ratios. Hoping everyone doesn't use it at the same time is all they can do without shaping the traffic types and people hate that plus not cheap to get it working well.

Netflix at night must have messed this model up a lot even more than bit torrent for software that was another bandwidth sucker.