Straya Day

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
shiiieeett that guy picked a farken awsum thread to post in.

I'm off to play a spot of cricket in my vb cap, sink some tinnies in the sun with the radio on jjj then off to the pub to get frothed

Bermshot

Banned
Well I just got back from the Basin.
If you were that way inclined you could just about classify everyone that was there.
It was awesome! Peeps were joining other peeps games of cricket, kids were walking up to any BBQ and getting a feed, smiles all round, laughter in the distance, all the kids were wrestling and paddle boarding and sand fighting in the water, woman being narcs (but nice about it), blokes yelling out 'settle down'.

Just fucking brilliant! And that's all I have to say about that. (Smiley face)

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
well i just got back from the basin.
If you were that way inclined you could just about classify everyone that was there.
It was awesome! Peeps were joining other peeps games of cricket, kids were walking up to any bbq and getting a feed, smiles all round, laughter in the distance, all the kids were wrestling and paddle boarding and sand fighting in the water, woman being narcs (but nice about it), blokes yelling out 'settle down'.

Just fucking brilliant! And that's all i have to say about that. (smiley face)
Here! Here!

brad353

Likes Dirt
I would more classify this as bogan culture, not Australian culture.

Most Australians are quite accepting and respectful of other cultures. Overall Australia has been a fantastic country to immigrate to, I used to work in public health in a high immigration area and I used to always ask this question and no one ever said they regretted moving to Au or the culture here.

I do wonder how often our way of 'taking the piss' is misinterpreted by other cultures?
what he said^^

i've seen plenty of your posts in the past harmonix and up until now, i had a decent amount of respect for you. sorry to say it's all gone now. just because we have a minority of racist pricks in australia who make a whole lot of noise in the news and on facebook and youtube and whatnot, and claim australia day as some sort of patriotic revolt, doesn't mean the rest of us are like that to. have you ever been to the u.s.a? turns out, most of the people there are great people. they just face the same problem, where the racist, gun toting rednecks are heard for making he most noise. of course we don't have a rich culture, we're a young country, just like every other country was at some stage before building the foundations of their history. every country on this planet has at some point belonged to someone else before being taken away from them, after they took it away from someone else.

i'm australian, i welcome anyone to my country who has a kind heart and deserves to be there as much as the rest of us, and i'll fight to the very end any way i know how against the people who don't. FUCK YOU HARMONIX! take a step back, and look beyond the minority, at the rest of us, who celebrate this day because we are proud to be australian and we're proud for being an all round good bunch of people.

i'm currently living in vancouver on a working holiday due to my love of mountain biking. and when i go to work tomorrow (still the 25th here), i'll be cranking a delayed forecast of triple j's hottest 100 in the bike shop all day long, and greeting every person who comes into the store with a g'day mate.

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
A quality of life? Well, yeah, I'll celebrate that. We are damn lucky to live here and I think we have a unique lifestyle and quality of life here. But is that culture?
Well, isn't that enough to celebrate Australia day? Culture is not always seen so it has to be found. Australia has an incredible array of uniqueness that sets us apart from any other country, including yours.

Oh, out of curiosity, why do you think we are "damn lucky to live here"?

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, out of curiosity, why do you think we are "damn lucky to live here"?
Decent healthcare, no one's tried to yet (successfully) invade us...general isolation geographically can be a plus (granted, also a minus). People are generally quite friendly, we have an absolutely amazing variety of beautiful land features (the reef, mountains, deserts, beaches to name a few), and we're not so overpopulated that we can still move around and explore so much more of this country. Great education outcomes for majority of the population, lowest unemployment rates of most first world countries right now and hey- Farkin came from here, can't be all bad!

Happy Australia Day to all, no matter where you came from!

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
Decent healthcare, no one's tried to yet (successfully) invade us...general isolation geographically can be a plus (granted, also a minus). People are generally quite friendly, we have an absolutely amazing variety of beautiful land features (the reef, mountains, deserts, beaches to name a few), and we're not so overpopulated that we can still move around and explore so much more of this country. Great education outcomes for majority of the population, lowest unemployment rates of most first world countries right now and hey- Farkin came from here, can't be all bad!

Happy Australia Day to all, no matter where you came from!
Cant agree with you more, there is so many reasons.

Keen to see what harmonix1234 has to say ;)

Regards

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And they reckon they just found 20 trillion bucks worth of oil in SA, we're set you bloody rippa!

rone

Eats Squid
Blimey - this has turned into a proper Australia Day thread. Are we to expect various proponents of this discussion meeting down Cronulla Beach to settle their differences?

There's a tone being used by certain members that could be described as un-Australian.

Jaybkr

Squid
It was awesome! Peeps were joining other peeps games of cricket, kids were walking up to any BBQ and getting a feed, smiles all round, laughter in the distance, all the kids were wrestling and paddle boarding and sand fighting in the water, woman being narcs (but nice about it), blokes yelling out 'settle down'.

And that's what Australia Day is all about. To me my family and friends anyway

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Nothing wrong there. Good times.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
fuck this citizens day shit! australia day! its the name of the land we live in and its what were celebrating so why the would you call it citizens day? if your a citizen you'd best call your self australian, if you live and work here you're part of the country, hence making you australian, this citezens day bull shit is a grab votes from the bitches who dont wish to be identified as autralian yet still wanna live here, how the fuck does that work!???!!!?!?!?!?! get used to being australian or get FUCKED
What is this 'Citizens Day' you're frothing at the mouth about? I've never heard of it. Maybe you should calm down, put some lotion on your Southern Cross neck tatt, and relax a bit.

Last edited:

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Long weekend was a great excuse to go out and camp near a billabong (we contemplated stealing a sheep), pity it started to get a bit rained out so we came back.

I'm very proud to be Australian, despite all the negatives that go with the stereotype. If I ever moved to another country I'd still want to be called Australian.

I'm slowly starting to explore this country and all its amazing features, which is hard while I'm at uni because its difficult to find time and money.

You should spend your Australia day appreciating something you take for granted. For many, thats going to the beach and drinking large amounts, and really we have some amazing beaches and sunshine so its great to appreciate that. Or go camping, and appreciate the fact that you can drive 2 hours from a city of millions of people and have noone in a 2km radius of where you are. In fact, just sit at home, with the air con on watching telly, and appreciate that we have a consistent power supply and life is easy enough that we can get bored here.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
what he said^^

i've seen plenty of your posts in the past harmonix and up until now, i had a decent amount of respect for you. sorry to say it's all gone now. just because we have a minority of racist pricks in australia who make a whole lot of noise in the news and on facebook and youtube and whatnot, and claim australia day as some sort of patriotic revolt, doesn't mean the rest of us are like that to. have you ever been to the u.s.a? turns out, most of the people there are great people. they just face the same problem, where the racist, gun toting rednecks are heard for making he most noise. of course we don't have a rich culture, we're a young country, just like every other country was at some stage before building the foundations of their history. every country on this planet has at some point belonged to someone else before being taken away from them, after they took it away from someone else.

i'm australian, i welcome anyone to my country who has a kind heart and deserves to be there as much as the rest of us, and i'll fight to the very end any way i know how against the people who don't. FUCK YOU HARMONIX! take a step back, and look beyond the minority, at the rest of us, who celebrate this day because we are proud to be australian and we're proud for being an all round good bunch of people.

i'm currently living in vancouver on a working holiday due to my love of mountain biking. and when i go to work tomorrow (still the 25th here), i'll be cranking a delayed forecast of triple j's hottest 100 in the bike shop all day long, and greeting every person who comes into the store with a g'day mate.
Thanks for your input.
It's great to seen someone who loves their country and it's people so much, and I was hoping to see the other side of the coin from some fellow burners just like this. I, like you also welcome anyone to our land with open arms.
You're a lucky man to have seen the rest of the world. I, myself have never been to the USA, or even outside Australia. But when I do I will anticipate with brilliance and promise to have an open mind.
Looks like you picked a world class spot for your holiday too. Enjoy your hottest 100, I won't tell you who gets number #1 :)

Last edited: