Street rides - improvisation/inspiration/interpretation

Flow-Rider

Burner
Don't you be cursing my new Marzocchi...

Doesn't grip do a steerer reset?
They're a bit of a franken fork, 2003 dj2 uppers are alloy stanchions, dual air over 2 springs but the lowers are 20mm axle DJ3 09 models (i think). When you're landing on ramps they seem pretty good but large hucks to flat they almost break my wrists, the springs are rare for them and they were known for cracking crowns. I just bit the bullet and bought some 2017 DJ1s from jenson for just over 300 delivered.

Last edited:

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Can anyone in this thread do tricks?
Been seriously (by that i mean proper bike and trying hard) riding dirt for 6 years now (street park for half that). After watching some videos from a few years ago,i realised all I've gotten better at is bike control. Lame.
So i want to learn some tricks. Monster park was my local with a resi.... but it doesn't look like it'll be open any time soon... Anyone know safe easy tricks i can learn on dirt fly out or grass etc? Fly outs in park scare the fuck outta me, working up to that still..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What do you mean by tricks?

I have a very small repertoire of dirt jump style tricks, some of which cross over the street stuff. I have pretty much zero flat land bmx inspired tricks.

I regularly get asked how to produce a fat whip or a flat pancake (I can't remember the name those hip young kids of today are using) and the answer is don't waste your time kids. Do well at school, study the right course at uni, fuck all your dreams off, earn lots of money and buy love and happiness. Also never drive a porche. They are too small for fucking in. Or practise. Learn the technique and practise it lots and lots and lots.

I'm currently trying to combine a whip and a tuck. It looks awesome when peeple with skillz do it. One day I hope to at least not look like a gummy. I'm also trying to regain confidence in a 1 hander. Seem to have lost it for no reason over the last year.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Anyone know safe easy tricks i can learn on dirt fly out or grass etc? Fly outs in park scare the fuck outta me, working up to that still..

A few easy wins that you can build up over time:
- Whip. Keep hands parallel and push out towards whichever side your back foot is on, like you're trying to stab someone with the end of bars. Simultaneously twist hips in opposite direction, pushing bike away with back foot. Then reverse for the landing. Be careful not to over rotate your body as you will spin the bike, but not in a good way. Be careful to keep hands parallel so you don't start throwing the bike off course.
- Pancake. Whichever hand is going to be on your "up" side needs to pull up towards your mouth, like you are trying to kiss the back of it. You'll need to make a small throttle roving type rotation in the process. The opposite hand pushes underneath...you'll need a little upper body strength for this. The leg that is going underneath needs to wrap the frame and push the pedal around matching your hands. Seems difficult to type that. Try to keep your torso and head vertical rather than leaning with the bike.
- E.T. Just keep pedalling in the air. It is a fun and funny trick. The crowd loves it, especially over a huge gap.
- X-up. Easy enough to start with a tweak...then a t-bar. Then eventually you're wrapping it round like a boss. You may wish to give great consideration to your bar width for this trick. Just start nice and easy with the tweaks...15deg....27deg...53deg...

A good fly out (like any nice dirt jump) should throw you up and leave a nice "pause" feeling in the air mid arc. This is when I rip my tricks on not so big jumps. Big jumps, like those on a trail, are a bit different. The good thing about a flat landing in these jumps is not really needing to line up the landing. You can rock through the kicker and focus on feeling the jump. The way your bike moves off the lip has a strong influence over how/what/when etc your trick works out. My local jumps are shit. Poorly built and poorly treated. Each jump is really different to the others and this influences what tricks i feel I can do on each.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I can 180 flat, does that count?

whips, tables, euros and just trying to be as smooth as I can. too old for flippity dippity bullshit.

Am a fan of a cheeky toboggan though.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
A few easy wins that you can build up over time:
- Whip. Keep hands parallel and push out towards whichever side your back foot is on, like you're trying to stab someone with the end of bars. Simultaneously twist hips in opposite direction, pushing bike away with back foot. Then reverse for the landing. Be careful not to over rotate your body as you will spin the bike, but not in a good way. Be careful to keep hands parallel so you don't start throwing the bike off course.
- Pancake. Whichever hand is going to be on your "up" side needs to pull up towards your mouth, like you are trying to kiss the back of it. You'll need to make a small throttle roving type rotation in the process. The opposite hand pushes underneath...you'll need a little upper body strength for this. The leg that is going underneath needs to wrap the frame and push the pedal around matching your hands. Seems difficult to type that. Try to keep your torso and head vertical rather than leaning with the bike.
- E.T. Just keep pedalling in the air. It is a fun and funny trick. The crowd loves it, especially over a huge gap.
- X-up. Easy enough to start with a tweak...then a t-bar. Then eventually you're wrapping it round like a boss. You may wish to give great consideration to your bar width for this trick. Just start nice and easy with the tweaks...15deg....27deg...53deg...

A good fly out (like any nice dirt jump) should throw you up and leave a nice "pause" feeling in the air mid arc. This is when I rip my tricks on not so big jumps. Big jumps, like those on a trail, are a bit different. The good thing about a flat landing in these jumps is not really needing to line up the landing. You can rock through the kicker and focus on feeling the jump. The way your bike moves off the lip has a strong influence over how/what/when etc your trick works out. My local jumps are shit. Poorly built and poorly treated. Each jump is really different to the others and this influences what tricks i feel I can do on each.
I can do tweaks and bar turns--wouldn't go so far as to say they are whips and x ups tho. I run 710s, i'm a midget. :)
We call a pancake a table i think ? And if it's just a small one, a coffee table :) Is that a beginner trick tho ?? Seems kinda hard to me ? Or do you mean like an Invert ?

I can solid 45 on flat XD a 180 flat is totally a trick. I recently read that carving into a 180 is only helpful if you're going rather fast, which i never do. I just haven't gotten out to try recently. I'm super jealous of people who 180 like it's nothing. Looks super smooth. Fark, I'm still trying to fakie consistently.

I can go to the Homebush 4x whenever, they are not jumps really...but there's several tables where you can pop up to flat like a mellow fly out. Or bust out of the berms to flat too. Basically, I saw OlaBMX made his gf do a 1 hander her 3rd time "riding" dirt jumps. She has zero bike control and can barely get up over the lip of tables...i thought if dis bish right here is doing this, surely me with plenty of control and an actual ability to ride should be able to try some kind of tricks... I mean, how else will I impress the boys ????? :pound: Also, I drive a wagon ;)

Flow-Rider

Burner
I haven't done many tricks since my bmx years not that I was really good at many either but I find the bmx more manoeuvrable than the 26" inch DJ bike. A few people I know, go to an indoor ramp centre with foam landing boxes and practice 360's but I haven't seen them pull a 360 off on a dirt jump yet. There's a lot at stake when you're dirt jumping, I slid the front wheel on a small landing ramp on a windy day and the outcome was brutal.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I can do tweaks and bar turns--wouldn't go so far as to say they are whips and x ups tho. I run 710s, i'm a midget. :)
We call a pancake a table i think ? And if it's just a small one, a coffee table :) Is that a beginner trick tho ?? Seems kinda hard to me ? Or do you mean like an Invert ?

I can solid 45 on flat XD a 180 flat is totally a trick. I recently read that carving into a 180 is only helpful if you're going rather fast, which i never do. I just haven't gotten out to try recently. I'm super jealous of people who 180 like it's nothing. Looks super smooth. Fark, I'm still trying to fakie consistently.

I can go to the Homebush 4x whenever, they are not jumps really...but there's several tables where you can pop up to flat like a mellow fly out. Or bust out of the berms to flat too. Basically, I saw OlaBMX made his gf do a 1 hander her 3rd time "riding" dirt jumps. She has zero bike control and can barely get up over the lip of tables...i thought if dis bish right here is doing this, surely me with plenty of control and an actual ability to ride should be able to try some kind of tricks... I mean, how else will I impress the boys ????? :pound: Also, I drive a wagon ;)
Wagon? You mean a half grown van...sounds like you're ready for a bike road trip.

If you can tweak the bars into a turn you're on the way to an X-up. I think you'll struggle with 710mm bars though. I used to run 680mm bars on my dj bikes. Give some consideration to putting a narrower bar on for a bit if you want to learn to X-up.

The old pancake is a beginner trick...sort of. Compare it to popping out your candy pole or a heel clicker and it seems pretty simple. It is a natural use of the bikes momentum and flows easily from the jump. Again start little and learn to roll the bike over a little bit at a time. 10deg, 27deg, 34deg...one day your up with the bike flat and spinning a 360, or as I would call it...the ufo.

Here's a few pancake pics. Not he hand position pointed to by the red arrow. Apologies for the quality they are stills from video...and a few phone cameras back in time.
mms_img-662122535.jpg

1614126_454977498017299_1152237415679631253_o~2.jpg
If you can see through the crayons the foot position in the second pic is the key to getting the bike flat. The first pic is from a reasonable sized gap on a trail so not really dj styles. I haven't got the foot jammed up underneath enough to push the bike over.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Wagon? You mean a half grown van...sounds like you're ready for a bike road trip.

If you can tweak the bars into a turn you're on the way to an X-up. I think you'll struggle with 710mm bars though. I used to run 680mm bars on my dj bikes. Give some consideration to putting a narrower bar on for a bit if you want to learn to X-up.

The old pancake is a beginner trick...sort of. Compare it to popping out your candy pole or a heel clicker and it seems pretty simple. It is a natural use of the bikes momentum and flows easily from the jump. Again start little and learn to roll the bike over a little bit at a time. 10deg, 27deg, 34deg...one day your up with the bike flat and spinning a 360, or as I would call it...the ufo.

Here's a few pancake pics. Not he hand position pointed to by the red arrow. Apologies for the quality they are stills from video...and a few phone cameras back in time.
View attachment 341078

View attachment 341079
If you can see through the crayons the foot position in the second pic is the key to getting the bike flat. The first pic is from a reasonable sized gap on a trail so not really dj styles. I haven't got the foot jammed up underneath enough to push the bike over.
Are you goofy ? I can't push the bike towards my back foot side. Been wrapped up in art projects lately and haven't even thought about riding but i did look up a how to table top today again. I reckon it's a bit beyond me atm.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Are you goofy ? I can't push the bike towards my back foot side. Been wrapped up in art projects lately and haven't even thought about riding but i did look up a how to table top today again. I reckon it's a bit beyond me atm.
I am goofy. Mostly...write left. Right hand/foot for a lot of sports. Goofy for most board sports and kicking people. Right foot for kicking balls.

Just imagine the face of an old clock 1 o'clock...2 o'clock....and work the frame flatter. Start with a tiny tweak of a few degrees. For an easy quick win learn to et.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I am goofy. Mostly...write left. Right hand/foot for a lot of sports. Goofy for most board sports and kicking people. Right foot for kicking balls.

Just imagine the face of an old clock 1 o'clock...2 o'clock....and work the frame flatter. Start with a tiny tweak of a few degrees. For an easy quick win learn to et.
Husband is goofy. He rides LFF, but is right handed. Does all his "tricks" as tho he was RFF. He can spin and grind both ways tho, fucker.. :yell: Looks like we'll get out this weekend, so I'll try something. Maybe get a pic or whatever so we can all have a good laugh. :)

The DJ1 looks nice in super stealth. People hate on them, but I think it's a rather nice fork. Far softer than my Circus, I like it tho. People are always "try my new thing, it's so great!" and it always feels like shit. Sorry buddy, you put a 36 on your mrs' bike and you easily outweigh her by 25kg...but you set it up for your weight ??? It feels like poo.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Husband is goofy. He rides LFF, but is right handed. Does all his "tricks" as tho he was RFF. He can spin and grind both ways tho, fucker.. :yell: Looks like we'll get out this weekend, so I'll try something. Maybe get a pic or whatever so we can all have a good laugh. :)

The DJ1 looks nice in super stealth. People hate on them, but I think it's a rather nice fork. Far softer than my Circus, I like it tho. People are always "try my new thing, it's so great!" and it always feels like shit. Sorry buddy, you put a 36 on your mrs' bike and you easily outweigh her by 25kg...but you set it up for your weight ??? It feels like poo.
The choice was between those and the circus but I couldn't have resisted with that price, I own another few bikes from different disciplines of riding and it's getting quite expensive. The fork I removed was probably a better fork but by the time you do a service on them, hunt down a good set of springs and get the CSU fixed it would have cost a lot more.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Well I can't compete with that.

At a minimum hit up an et! At first you'll find it a little challenging to keep the back end up while pedalling. Then suddenly you're pushing it over a 15ft gap in front of a bunch of grommets and the mid air pedal gets all the laughs. Well not as much as a big crash does...but it is a fair trade off.

Do you have an air or spring circus? I find the air ones feel sweet and are very light. I considered the DJ1 for my pivot but decided the weight and only 100mm wouldn't suit my desires. They look plenty sweet though. Marzocchi fanboi too.