Stromlo conditions

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
ohhh man. You blokes sound like brand new arrivals from Pommyland LOL. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

yes we are lucky to have such deadly animals in Australia. But people these days seem to have no Idea about how to behave around those tiny deadly creatures.

If you come across a snake while hammering along some single track....for christ sake dont stop. keep going. try to bunny hop it or at least if thats not poss. lift your front wheel so if you hit it with your back wheel & it spins around it might just be too late to hit your leg. Of course toatlly avoiding it would be Ideal.

and don't go barefoot....when going for a pee in the middle of the night. or lie in that lovely long grass. I'm amazed how many peolpe you seen theses days camping, running around barefoot or thongs in grassy areas or they pick up things without turning the arounfd first.

jmcavoy. youre scaring the crap out of people. LOL. err OK sure anti venom might be in short supply currently but I doubt you'll have any trouble getting it in out countrys capital. I could be wrong but it takes over 24 hrs for the funnel webb vennom to finally kill a person. its not instant or like 10 min.....

anyway. in 2010 I ran over a Brown snake on my last lap at the scott 24. Last year I hit the tail of a kangeroo. On the red lap just before Skyling at the top near the old obsevartory..... like 5am or something. just before dawn . just carrie on racing.

I love the Scott 24 & where its held. Although the cold at night sometimes is the only thing I can do without.

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
As far as tyres goes. whatever combo you choose as long as the pressure is right. I'm 85Kg I use Nobbly Nick tubless Ready Evo tyre I was on 30psi. Tubes I'd go as far as 37 psi. on the rear I had Racing Ralph No less than 40 psi on a tubed set up about 32 on a tubeless.
On that note I had snake skin on the rear only. Not one puncture all our team was basically on the same priciple. For Mt stromlo....when racing....slightly higher pressure to prevent punctures.

In 2010 our team got podium. Because the guy chasing me had 2 punctures. He was a absolute gun. He would have caught me were it not for the wrong pressures in his tyres. Gods were smiling upon our team that year. :D

Last edited:

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
funniest part at Mt stromlo is Internal velocety. LOL youre hamering down a fire road which then turns into an uphill single track. but its full of sharp rocks.
Countless flats there.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
funniest part at Mt stromlo is Internal velocety. LOL youre hamering down a fire road which then turns into an uphill single track. but its full of sharp rocks.
Countless flats there.
Remember that one from 2010 - entry point through the couple of rocks was about 6" wide at 50kmh LOL I like to think it was mainly no brake heroes who all came to grief there - must have been on average 2 people fixing a flat at any one passing in the 24 hours!

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
Remember that one from 2010 - entry point through the couple of rocks was about 6" wide at 50kmh LOL I like to think it was mainly no brake heroes who all came to grief there - must have been on average 2 people fixing a flat at any one passing in the 24 hours!
yea and the pole near the bottom of it saying 8km to go.....I missed that pole by the width of a pubic hair once LOL. Good times

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Last Chance to Enter

This from CORC:

The extended entries period to the Scott Australian 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships will close on Friday September 28th, this will be the 14th anniversary of the CORC 24 Hour Race.

If you’ve got some mates then get a team together and come hang out at Stromlo Forest Park on the weekend on October 13th and 14th. If you fancy a challenge race solo against World and National Champion Jason English and UK Champion Matt Page. If you’ve got no mates then volunteer and make some new mates, simply email volunteers@corc.asn.au.

All the event and entry details are available or you can go direct to the online entry system.

A word from the CORC President – Sarah O’Callaghan: "Canberra Off Road Cyclists is a not-for-profit club and we have been running the Scott 24 Hour in various guises since 1999 making it Australia’s longest running 24. The Scott as it is affectionately known is the major fundraiser for CORC and organized these days entirely by volunteers. The Scott allows the club to run and support some 60 racing and social riding events in the Canberra region each year, run our junior and women’s rider development programs, support riders racing at national and international levels, advocate trail access and provide funding for building new trails and maintaining old ones, this year we have completed the construction of the Gungahlin Dirt Jumps, and contributed to the Playground at Stromlo Forest Park. If you only race a few events each year, support the club that supports you and make sure you race the Scott!"

Its amazing how many people we've run into out at Stromlo in the last week who are "doing the Scott" but haven't got their entry in yet !

Last edited:

tcp13equals2

Likes Bikes
OK sure anti venom might be in short supply currently.
Matt - I think your best bet is to get some anti venom at duty free on the way into AU. You can get a bulk pack which covers most of the deadly snakes, spiders, wasps etc you will encounter at Stromlo.

No need for the anti-croc spray - I have only ever seen one big green croc hanging around in the Majura Pines ponds, and hopefully it has not found it's way to Stromlo ...

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
what about the big brown bears..... seen any of those? Might fliy in some of that Bear Spray from Alaska.....just incase. Might just have enough time.

Chewysteak123

Likes Bikes
thanks!

mate - very cool - just watched that 3 times - I can only roll over pork barrel! love the music and going to itunes now to get some more glitch mob, thanks!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to make my videos interesting to receive views and subscribers. :)

UKmatt

Likes Bikes
Well I'm loving Stromlo all over again. Few rides there so far this week, Skyline is just amazing!
Quick video from earlier today. Hopefully I can get the rest of the sections dialled before the weekend.

[video=youtube;sHcabptMKbs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHcabptMKbs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Science

Likes Dirt
I'm coming up from Melbourne this weekend for a car thing, But dragging the Bike along behind me to have a go at Stromlo for my first time.
Looks rockier than i'm used to.

should i run my CrossMarks or Ignitors, or a combo of both?

dbm081

Likes Bikes
No matter what tyres you run you might struggle to find any trail to ride with the Scott24 on.

For furture reference I think crossmark front and rear would be fine - Or Ignitor front crossmark rear.