Stromlo DH ok for a beginner?

LoveB

Likes Dirt
So yeah, as the title states, if I ride down the dh track on stromlo, will I be ok as a first timer? Obviously I'll be taking it slow however I'm new to downhill riding pretty much. I just dont want to die. lol.

If what I think I know is correct, the dh track pretty ok and the way harder parts are closed or gated off? :help: Or maybe I should try the majura ones first? what do you guys suggest? thank you!!

driftking

Wheel size expert
I guess downhill when you are hauling ass you are never 100% comfortable but it is important to be comfortable with how far you push.
People say to ride within your limits and while I agree I also subscribe that if you arnt pushing your limits you arnt learning or developing new limits. I think it's important to push limits but within reason.
Hit a extra 5ft gap not a extra 30ft use your brain as to what's smart to try and what's stupid.

Now to the point I can't see stromlo been a problem it's a pretty basic track while it does have some sketchy sections most if not every dh track has slower lines and a way for beginner to get down. Being a supported track it will have b lines and you can easily ride it. If you were say thinking of riding Awaba or coffs well again I'd say no problem but be smart.

I don't think any properly built tracks are a issue for a newbie to start riding, it's just about been smart. If you can't ride a section safety or within a reasonable limit ie it is stupid and you know you can't, don't do it. Even if you need to get off and walk down that section and then ride the rest. The issue I don't think are limits or difficulty it's the ability to be smart about it.

You need to push but within a reasonable threshold to get better. But you also need to ride in a comfortable safe way (well as safe as you can in downhill) just use your head.
When people say ride within limits I tend to say 90% is comfortable and where I'm at the last 10% is pushing the limits and a little sketchy. That last 10% means I believe I can do it and I can do it reasonably safe though I am still pushing the limits and there is increased risk and I am going into the unknown a little to develop a new limit and learn.

Stromlo is a pretty basic track couldn't see any problems.

Last edited:

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think you'll die as long as you don't do anything stupid. There's no shame in jumping off your bike and having a look if it gets too hardcore for your skill level.

LoveB

Likes Dirt
Yeah thanks. I'll give it a shot and start out slow and progress. Going on a Monday or Tuesday so there shouldnt be too much dh riders I suppose and I guess that means I'll have time to take it easier the first time out. :eek:

JASKE2

Likes Bikes
yeh man i rode the old and new track recently for the first time. i went down real slow just because i didnt want to do a track walk to learn the line, after that you will just get faster and faster. enjoy

NIZ

Cannon Fodder
Take the right track (non-world cup) at the top. You will probably walk a few parts of the rock gardens at first but just take it slow and a you will be alright. The bottom half from the bridge down is fine as there are easy b-lines around everything and the big jumps are gated off anyways.

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
Take the right track (non-world cup) at the top. You will probably walk a few parts of the rock gardens at first but just take it slow and a you will be alright. The bottom half from the bridge down is fine as there are easy b-lines around everything and the big jumps are gated off anyways.
The world cup top is n terrible condition and should not be ridden. The New top (non WC) is behind the building next to the old top.