Stromlo Upgrade approved

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Something dumb wouldn't be too much of a surprise, but such a long break would just lead to unofficial trail building. Haakon would be out there with his cricket pitch roller flattening all the rough stuff.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Isn't it contracted out to Makin' Trax?
Ah yes, he must have meant the contractor’s machinery. My mistake.

But he said it’s already volunteer work, so now I’m a bit confused...

And yeah, apparently only “emergency” work will be done if something is considered dangerous.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
So it seems government are at least thinking about the topic:

https://tourism.act.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/CBR_Cycle_strategy_WEB.pdf

I haven't had am opportunity to read this in detail, but it seems that 'inclusiveness', which I read to mean 'non-challenging' is a big priority in Canberra's Cycle Tourism plans. Not that this is a bad thing, however the document amusingly uses quite a lot of imagery of mountain bikers not riding at a beginner level.

Time to get involved and lobby, people.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Bike shop guy told me there are a bunch of unofficial tracks out the back of Stromlo, time to go exploring I think.

I doubt you'll dissuade the government from the "inclusiveness" thing, families bring more money than a bunch of MTB nerds.

So there might have to be a return to the days of unofficial and user built trails that get shut down every now and then :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@Haakon I would say otherwise where mtb tourism is concerned. When was the last time a very recreational and irregular beginner level rider packed up all their gear and travelled to go for a ride? More so took the whole family along for same? Most mountain bikers that travel are probably the more advanced and committed riders. A bit like those who commit a lot of cash and time to any recreational pursuit.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
They have to make it inclusive to attract people to live in those shitty new suburbs around it.
These kind of people: https://denmanprospect.com.au/inspi...has-hipsters-but-denman-prospect-has-yuccies/

Caroline Buchanan has moved in already
My company is involved in Denman Prospect, so this comes with a bit of insider knowledge.....
Whoever decided the whole YUCCIES thing is good marketing needs go give themselves a good swift uppercut, what a load pretentious, wanky, marketing driven shit!
The some of the trails shown in the above video were put in by CED at their cost, but they ACT Government made then rip them out as they were installed without DA.
To make up for this, CED have recently constructed new MTB trails as part of the landscape package and built by Makin Trak.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is this the medim to high density estate looking development I saw when driving out to stromlo?

If you want bull shit marketing for new housing I'll try and get a photo of the huge sign near my place for a new apartment block...it has a huge photo of a very mid 20s looking hipster (wood grain framed sunnies, Hawaiian style shirt scruffy beard) on it for an apartment tower that I'm pretty sure most of his ilk are priced out of, or is the whole avocado vs home ownership debate a myth?

If tourism is the push for stromlo, it might be worth considering a camping option there...a few camp sites + showers etc + power + BBQ or whatever might work really well on the trail edge. If they were really brave they could try something really new and have a not very technical trail that is lit by street lights...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
My company is involved in Denman Prospect, so this comes with a bit of insider knowledge.....
Whoever decided the whole YUCCIES thing is good marketing needs go give themselves a good swift uppercut, what a load pretentious, wanky, marketing driven shit!
The some of the trails shown in the above video were put in by CED at their cost, but they ACT Government made then rip them out as they were installed without DA.
To make up for this, CED have recently constructed new MTB trails as part of the landscape package and built by Makin Trak.
Ah the ones where you can see the houses in the background I'm guessing?

Yeah, the whole idea of you being able to live this creative and inspiring life just because of an address IN CANBERRA shits me. I think the artwork that was put up first turned me off before the houses even had foundations!

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Ah the ones where you can see the houses in the background I'm guessing?
I think the artwork that was put up first turned me off before the houses even had foundations!
Correct.
Entry statements for estates are standard, in this case it's a private developer so I don't object too much....
Don't squint at the sculpture in the pond too hard though ;)