Stromlo Upgrade approved

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Might use it as an interesting destination to rebuild my fitness otherwise destroyed by Xmas and weeks of 35-45 degree days.
Tell me about it... fuck this weather.

Due for completion in September though.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
"There's people in the park and walking to the bus stop … the traffic management is a mess. There’s no safe way to as a pedestrian to access the KFC."
Since when has a pedestrian attended a KFC?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
A KFC would be closed within a year I reckon, the whole place out there is a wasteland for cafe/restaurants. I was stoked when I saw the shipping containers there spuiking coffee and snacks, only to be let down by none of the school kids on duty knowing how to use the machine...they did say it was on the horizon though.

I love that they say in the article that traffic management is a mess...it may be a mess but it is a very small one as there is bugger all traffic to start with atm ( I'm sure that might change when the population starts building out there).

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
First ride at Stomlo in ages, probably close to 6 months.

Just rode out the back mainly, rode that new flow trail (sunset blvd?) next to pork barrel. Seems like you could get some serious air off those jumps.

Liked the bit after the flow trail, it was after you came back to pork barrel, you crossed over and went down the left side. Serious rock features there!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
There is a new section(s?) of trail ~4kms long that should be open pretty soon. Anyone scoped it? I might look tomorrow.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I had a look at some this morning. Off the top of the DH start platform follow Up The Anti and take the option to the right. Sort of skirts around Vapour Trail with nice big berms, some rollers and jumps. Ends at Haakon’s bridge unless there’s more below. I took it pretty easy as I’m not sure if it’s meant to be open yet.

There’s also the new beginner jump line and what I think might be a climb track near it which is off to the side as you climb up ABC switchbacks I think.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I had a look at some this morning. Off the top of the DH start platform follow Up The Anti and take the option to the right. Sort of skirts around Vapour Trail with nice big berms, some rollers and jumps. Ends at Haakon’s bridge unless there’s more below. I took it pretty easy as I’m not sure if it’s meant to be open yet.

There’s also the new beginner jump line and what I think might be a climb track near it which is off to the side as you climb up ABC switchbacks I think.
It's not open and not supposed to be ridden. They are waiting for it to dry out further.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
That’s fair. It wasn’t wet, and didn’t have a closed sign on it, and oddly I’d heard on the radio on the weekend that some new trails were open.

I followed a couple of other riders down, so perhaps it should be taped off.

D01

Likes Dirt
IEnds at Haakon’s bridge unless there’s more below.
Yep, top to bottom. It finishes at the end of Old Duffy's. It looks so good, like a baby vapour.

It was pretty obvious it was closed off when I was there last week, there were tape and signs.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yep, top to bottom. It finishes at the end of Old Duffy's. It looks so good, like a baby vapour.

It was pretty obvious it was closed off when I was there last week, there were tape and signs.
Sounds good. Definitely no tape and signs this morning, maybe they want it packed down a bit more before opening. Regardless, I’ll steer clear until it’s official.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
That’s fair. It wasn’t wet, and didn’t have a closed sign on it, and oddly I’d heard on the radio on the weekend that some new trails were open.

I followed a couple of other riders down, so perhaps it should be taped off.
Not having a go, but that was the last advice and there has been no update to say open.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Not having a go, but that was the last advice and there has been no update to say open.
Oh absolutely, if I shouldn’t have been there then I’ve done the wrong thing. Like I said it wasn’t taped off and there were other riders.

Looking at the Stromlo website you are right, it’s not to be ridden.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Ah right, so its not a single 4km trail then, its just new parts that total 4km overall? Sounds good anyway, keen to explore!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Ah right, so its not a single 4km trail then, its just new parts that total 4km overall? Sounds good anyway, keen to explore!
I only had a look at a small section, @D01 is saying it goes all the way to the bottom.

The new jump trail must be separate to this, I had a look at that weeks ago.

D01

Likes Dirt
I only had a look at a small section, @D01 is saying it goes all the way to the bottom.

The new jump trail must be separate to this, I had a look at that weeks ago.
Immediately after Haakon's bridge (I'm assuming this is the shipping container one with Canberra on it?) it drops off to the right.

I didn't see another jump line, where is this?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I love how they've added extra trails converging at the bridge, something for @Haakon to look forward to when he's back on the bike!

All new trails are welcome, but there is a massive opportunity to build something out the back between Deep Creek and Three Amigos (continuation of Slick Rock) and spread the crowds a bit thinner haha

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Immediately after Haakon's bridge (I'm assuming this is the shipping container one with Canberra on it?) it drops off to the right.

I didn't see another jump line, where is this?

In the below map it's there in blue. Next to it are a fire road which you can use to get back to the start and then next to that is some new single track.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I love how they've added extra trails converging at the bridge, something for @Haakon to look forward to when he's back on the bike!

All new trails are welcome, but there is a massive opportunity to build something out the back between Deep Creek and Three Amigos (continuation of Slick Rock) and spread the crowds a bit thinner haha
Lovely, yelling at idiots is always so cathartic :) But seriously though, looking forward to new trails! They should be nicely bedded in by the time i get to them, couple of months away still for me :(