Stromlo's Condition

reptilemadness

Likes Dirt
Just wondering how the condition of Stromlo DH is.
Iv'e heard from one person that it was crap but not sure if it's true.
Keen for some info as i'm looking to go down soon.

kjekabsons

Likes Dirt
Depends if your after xc or downhill. Xc tracks are in pretty good nick, most of the water ruts are gone and the luge is also in really good nick. I heard they made everything on the downhill track rollable but it's just a rumour. Not sure how skyline is looking, might need a bit of maintenance because last time maintenance done to clear rocks was a while ago.

reptilemadness

Likes Dirt
Depends if your after xc or downhill. Xc tracks are in pretty good nick, most of the water ruts are gone and the luge is also in really good nick. I heard they made everything on the downhill track rollable but it's just a rumour. Not sure how skyline is looking, might need a bit of maintenance because last time maintenance done to clear rocks was a while ago.
It is for DH seeing it's in the DH section and on the first line it says Stromlo DH.

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
Alright the old top section is terrible. The New top(which isnt that new)(Which is behind the building is fine from last time i rode it.

peanut

Likes Dirt
A fair bit of work has been undertaken in the last month to get all the gates removed permenately, certainly makes some sections more B and C rider friendly.

So far some soil has been added to the back of the road gap jump(this was done 3+ months ago), so it can be rolled at a slow pace, would still be faster to use the b line in a race though, go a little too fast to roll it and you'll huck to flat on the road, the gate has been removed.

triple treat, the top gate has been removed, the top gap has been filled in, the Aline is still the same length etc, you can roll next to the a line which now seems to be the new b line and the c line is now alot smoother as the fill spread all the way over, but you still have to do the "s" for the c line. The landing for all the lines has been cleaned up and widened.

The middle jump in the middle section is now 3 table tops..sort of. The area has been widened a little to lead into the new jumps.
the A line has only been filled, length, takeoff and landing are exactly the same,about 8-9ish m in length.it can be rolled but why bother.
a new b tabletop has been added, it's about 2-3m shorter than the a line, it's about 5-6ish m in length.
a new c line table top has been added, it's about 2m shorter than the b, about 3.5m in length with a flatter lip(easily rolled at speed), it also "bowls" to the right so you can lengthen the jump by going wider. Both b and c line jumps are a little bit lower than the A line jump also.
The whole lander has been widened for all the jumps and opens up the options for gapping over the c and or b line to get different lines into the hip jump.

The final(hip) jump has been filled in, the a line is the same length,same lander and takeoff. sort of looks like a off camber step up as the soil goes over the old exposed rock. you can roll it at slow speed but becomes an off camber landing if you come up short going faster.(it still has the kick on the takeoff)
A second b line jump and lead in has been added to the lhs of the A line about 1 m shorter, to add an extra option. landing can be off camber if you come up short, also entry into this jump is designed from a slower rider approach, an extra option for the c line or b line riders, faster riders will probably miss the line in. It will probably still intimidate some riders who will use the c line berm instead.
The existing b line is also filled to a degree to make it smoother, c line berm untouched.
the gate is still up but should be removed very soon.

From a fun perspective it opens up some options to link different lines and adds an element of progression in jumping. For racing, who knows but i think a huck to flat is going to cost more time on the A lines than a smooth landing on the tranny's of the b & c lines.

The next section for work is going to be the g20 drop to get the gate removed..which means the b and c lines next to the old top section rock gardens should hopefully follow shortly after. i'd say the whole course will get a going over before the race in feb.

Last edited:

reptilemadness

Likes Dirt
A fair bit of work has been undertaken in the last month to get all the gates removed permenately, certainly makes some sections more B and C rider friendly.

So far some soil has been added to the back of the road gap jump(this was done 3+ months ago), so it can be rolled at a slow pace, would still be faster to use the b line in a race though, go a little too fast to roll it and you'll huck to flat on the road, the gate has been removed.

triple treat, the top gate has been removed, the top gap has been filled in, the Aline is still the same length etc, you can roll next to the a line which now seems to be the new b line and the c line is now alot smoother as the fill spread all the way over, but you still have to do the "s" for the c line. The landing for all the lines has been cleaned up and widened.

The middle jump in the middle section is now 3 table tops..sort of. The area has been widened a little to lead into the new jumps.
the A line has only been filled, length, takeoff and landing are exactly the same,about 8-9ish m in length.it can be rolled but why bother.
a new b tabletop has been added, it's about 2-3m shorter than the a line, it's about 5-6ish m in length.
a new c line table top has been added, it's about 2m shorter than the b, about 3.5m in length with a flatter lip(easily rolled at speed), it also "bowls" to the right so you can lengthen the jump by going wider. Both b and c line jumps are a little bit lower than the A line jump also.
The whole lander has been widened for all the jumps and opens up the options for gapping over the c and or b line to get different lines into the hip jump.

The final(hip) jump has been filled in, the a line is the same length,same lander and takeoff. sort of looks like a off camber step up as the soil goes over the old exposed rock. you can roll it at slow speed but becomes an off camber landing if you come up short going faster.(it still has the kick on the takeoff)
A second b line jump and lead in has been added to the lhs of the A line about 1 m shorter, to add an extra option. landing can be off camber if you come up short, also entry into this jump is designed from a slower rider approach, an extra option for the c line or b line riders, faster riders will probably miss the line in. It will probably still intimidate some riders who will use the c line berm instead.
The existing b line is also filled to a degree to make it smoother, c line berm untouched.
the gate is still up but should be removed very soon.

From a fun perspective it opens up some options to link different lines and adds an element of progression in jumping. For racing, who knows but i think a huck to flat is going to cost more time on the A lines than a smooth landing on the tranny's of the b & c lines.

The next section for work is going to be the g20 drop to get the gate removed..which means the b and c lines next to the old top section rock gardens should hopefully follow shortly after. i'd say the whole course will get a going over before the race in feb.
WOW, thanks heaps for that.
I don't really understand it because i've never been there before but it sound good.
Also sounds like they are making it a track for beginners and not so techy.

peanut

Likes Dirt
WOW, thanks heaps for that.
I don't really understand it because i've never been there before but it sound good.
Also sounds like they are making it a track for beginners and not so techy.
if i can get my windows phone and mac to co-operate(unlikely from the forums i've been reading) i'll post some photo's.

I think reducing the obvious risks on these A lines sections has created new options for fun with the b and c level riders, you still need a big commitment to attempt and to clean the A lines. just means you probably won't leave in an ambulance if you come up short.

reptilemadness

Likes Dirt
if i can get my windows phone and mac to co-operate(unlikely from the forums i've been reading) i'll post some photo's.

I think reducing the obvious risks on these A lines sections has created new options for fun with the b and c level riders, you still need a big commitment to attempt and to clean the A lines. just means you probably won't leave in an ambulance if you come up short.
Yea that sound better, haha. Thanks heaps and if you are able to post the photos that would be great otherwise just email them if its easier.

Lt Dan

Likes Bikes
that looks awesome. it's good to see some changes being made to make it more rideable for the masses

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone got a very recent helmet cam of the track?

....rode it last in Sep for Defence champs, seems some of the changes have given a few more options than before.....
But will be there for Feb so nice to know whats changed......

J3$$3

Likes Dirt
gotta say, those improvements look to put the less cocky riders, ie. myself, in a bit of a better position, will have to go give it a ride in the next week, and if I have my go-pro working, will tape the runs :D