Stuck Avid Brake Reach adjust

nathanm

Eats Squid
Nearly finished the Dartmoor build and upon swapping levers I've found one of the reach adjust dials is stuck and wont turn. Did a quick google but wasn't able to find any info on possible fixes?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
My old Giant Anthem had Elixir 9 brakes and the dial down near the hose would often be hard to turn. I remember once using a pair of vice grips on them to free it up. Not saying that's the best way though :p

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Tool free reach adjusters on all avid and sram levers at random times will get stuck. Give it a squirt with silicon lube. Don’t go wild, piston bore isn’t sealed, the EPDM rubber seals are silicon grease safe, but you don’t want to attract grit into the bore.

Sometimes pulling the lever out so the reach adjuster is unloaded is enough, wiggle it both directions. Other times you will need a tool to really force the reach adjuster to turn.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Sometimes pulling the lever out so the reach adjuster is unloaded is enough, wiggle it both directions. Other times you will need a tool to really force the reach adjuster to turn.
How much can I "really force" it before "oh no it's all gone wrong"?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How much can I "really force" it before "oh no it's all gone wrong"?
You'll get a feel for it. Just lean into it firmly at first and then it will loosen up and then just after you have pushed it too hard and far you'll realise a little bit less would have been the right amount.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the lever stuck all the way out? It's possible that the master cylinder pushrod has come unscrewed from the lever blade if wound out too far.
If this is the case, try operating the lever reach with an allen key, while squeezing / pulling the lever to try to get the threads engaged again.

Failing that, push out the lever pivot, and remove the lever blade, then reassemble the lever blade assembly. Really it's just a knob on the end of the pushrod, so it's either unscrewed the pushrod, or threads are stripped on either part.

Last edited: