Stuck seat post - with a twist!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Greetings Rotorburn brains trust. I come to you for guidance, and in anticipation of making an entry in everybody's favourite thread...

I am helping a friend restore his old stead (2008 or 2009 Eastern Slash 7+ air). He intends (we all know the market decides...and this market is pretty small) to sell the bike for sweet f.a. once it is finished, so the notion of professional help at this stage is not likely due to cost. Though it may be engaged as a last resort.

Anyway the issue is this, a few years ago the seat post got stuck. He and another friend had slammed the post as low as possible and it jammed. Rather than seek useful advice at the time, they attempted a variety of foolish methods to loosen it. Some of these involved the hammer and force. Anyway I never got to see the post stuck, and he can't explain to me how it was removed from the frame by friend's sister's boyfriend.

A new seat post was installed and after a few months the bike ended up at the back of the shed. This evening I was paying some close attention and notice that the seat post is the wrong size and bent. I assumed the bend was the reason for the post not sliding all the way in...but no! The old stuck seat post has snapped off well down the seat tube. The new I'll fitting post inserts about 6 inches and makes contact with the old remnant.

How the fuck am I going to get this out????????? my assumption just now is a can of magic freeze spray down the guts to shrink the seat post away from the frame, and a long sturdy hooking tool of some sort to pull out the post. But...what would this tool be? It would need to be about 16 inches long. This would also require that the post isn't slammed firm on the bb shell.

Fire away wise folk. Fools also welcome to contribute.

Lard

Likes Dirt
6 inches insertion is plenty ( all innuendos aside....) so just hacksaw the new post shorter and leave the old bit in there. way easier than getting out the old bit.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Greetings Rotorburn brains trust. I come to you for guidance, and in anticipation of making an entry in everybody's favourite thread...

I am helping a friend restore his old stead (2008 or 2009 Eastern Slash 7+ air). He intends (we all know the market decides...and this market is pretty small) to sell the bike for sweet f.a. once it is finished, so the notion of professional help at this stage is not likely due to cost. Though it may be engaged as a last resort.

Anyway the issue is this, a few years ago the seat post got stuck. He and another friend had slammed the post as low as possible and it jammed. Rather than seek useful advice at the time, they attempted a variety of foolish methods to loosen it. Some of these involved the hammer and force. Anyway I never got to see the post stuck, and he can't explain to me how it was removed from the frame by friend's sister's boyfriend.

A new seat post was installed and after a few months the bike ended up at the back of the shed. This evening I was paying some close attention and notice that the seat post is the wrong size and bent. I assumed the bend was the reason for the post not sliding all the way in...but no! The old stuck seat post has snapped off well down the seat tube. The new I'll fitting post inserts about 6 inches and makes contact with the old remnant.

How the fuck am I going to get this out????????? my assumption just now is a can of magic freeze spray down the guts to shrink the seat post away from the frame, and a long sturdy hooking tool of some sort to pull out the post. But...what would this tool be? It would need to be about 16 inches long. This would also require that the post isn't slammed firm on the bb shell.

Fire away wise folk. Fools also welcome to contribute.
A slide hammer would give it a good shot.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
6 inches insertion is plenty ( all innuendos aside....) so just hacksaw the new post shorter and leave the old bit in there. way easier than getting out the old bit.
If it was just me, I'd be fine with that. But he is selling it and nobody wants people feeling duped by such a move. It would bring bad kharma.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If, and only if the frame is steel and the stuffed post is aluminium, mix up a brew of caustic soda & water, pour into the frame, sealing off the bottom bracket area to stop leakage, and dissolve the remnant post. Wear sufficient protective gear, the stuff gets hot and is corrosive, and do it outside 'cos it does produce nasty fumes.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If, and only if the frame is steel and the stuffed post is aluminium, mix up a brew of caustic soda & water, pour into the frame, sealing off the bottom bracket area to stop leakage, and dissolve the remnant post. Wear sufficient protective gear, the stuff gets hot and is corrosive, and do it outside 'cos it does produce nasty fumes.
I'll pass on this idea, the frame is aluminium.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
This definately should go to the fuckwits thread straight away, just because someone without a problem is trying to make it into one.

Shed loads of bikes have curved seat tubes that only give you that much insertion anyway

Slap friend around head, and explain to him how lucky he is that it didn't break off 2" in.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Pink Poodle I have a slide hammer and I should be riding up your way in the next week or so. Probably worth lubing up the post with some penetrating oil/stuff cause it will obviously be more stuck than it was before the last repair.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pink Poodle I have a slide hammer and I should be riding up your way in the next week or so. Probably worth lubing up the post with some penetrating oil/stuff cause it will obviously be more stuck than it was before the last repair.
Cheers man. I'll keep you posted. I'll also figure out if the post is jammed on the bb shell or not. I figure if that is the case then the hammer wouldn't fit in under the post.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
For a normal stuck post

Bit of Plasticine and some vinegar.

Mould plasticine into a cup around the seat clamp. Poor in the vinegar and leave it over night.
Vinegar will eat the oxidation bond in the different metals in the post and frame and the post will slip out

In this case would it be possible to block up the bottom of the seat stay (inside BB shell) and poor vinegar in that then once it has some time to work some sort of bearing puller may be able to go through broken bit of post and grab it to pull out?

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
For a normal stuck post

Bit of Plasticine and some vinegar.

Mould plasticine into a cup around the seat clamp. Poor in the vinegar and leave it over night.
Vinegar will eat the oxidation bond in the different metals in the post and frame and the post will slip out

In this case would it be possible to block up the bottom of the seat stay (inside BB shell) and poor vinegar in that then once it has some time to work some sort of bearing puller may be able to go through broken bit of post and grab it to pull out?
I there anything vinegar can't do? That stuff is pretty awesome. This idea is going to the top of the list given how easy it sounds!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
how big is the centre hole in the old post?

You could get (for example) an M20 threaded rod or bolt and basically tap the centre hole of the post, insert the bolt then use a bush over the seat tube to make the whole shebang a puller...which might pull the remnant out of the seat tube...

MARKL

Eats Squid
Cheers man. I'll keep you posted. I'll also figure out if the post is jammed on the bb shell or not. I figure if that is the case then the hammer wouldn't fit in under the post.
It shouldn't be a problem, it only needs the tiniest edge...but do the vinegar first.