Stumpjumper FSR S-Works - Coiled Goodness

teK--

Eats Squid
Moorey is that guy who is always on the side of the track yelling at all the racers "you're shit!" haha :pound:

Anyway each to own I prefer a guide as I never want to drop chains again. Even NWs drop chains once they wear to certain point.

moorey

call me Mia
Moorey is that guy who is always on the side of the track yelling at all the racers "you're shit!" haha :pound:

Anyway each to own I prefer a guide as I never want to drop chains again. Even NWs drop chains once they wear to certain point.
Not all racers, just you :hug:

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
sweet!!! warranty rocks :)

I'm with you on the bashguard... for when I'm tired and get sloppy, I also run a guide (MRP AMG, but there are better ones out there now) as extra insurance. The places that will cause a dropped chain are usually the places you really don't want a dropped chain... e.g. lead in to wall ride on international.

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
I've dropped two chains since going narrow wide. One of them after popping off a curb and really smashed my leg on the handlebars when I went to put some well into them.
That sucked! The other was after a set of steps near a storm water drain.

But as I said, I like the idea of a bash guard to protect the chainring, the oval nature of it makes it hard to get a chain guide for anyway, at least from a top Mount perspective.
If you are after a top guide with taco look into the BlackSpire Trail X guide. I ran one on my Range for sometime.

moorey

call me Mia
Never seen you out then. Do you even ride???
Ride a what? :noidea:
Mate, you talk big, but come to Buninyong one day, and I'll show you how to ride a bike path without losing a chain :hand:

Last edited:

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why do people even bother with chainguides these days?

With a clutched derailleur and a narrow-wide chainring guides are redundant, needless weight and just an additional part to malfunction...., and cost you money to own.
false

how does the bike ride Zaf, I'm sure you've clocked hundreds of k's on it already!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
That looks awesome. Like a monster truck. Like an awesome monster truck.

Z

Zaf

What about one of these crash plates, light and minimal
http://77designz.com/

Sweet bike btw man! some good luck on your half!
Do those bash guards just screw straight into the lower to ISCG05 mounting holes? They look the go!

Otherwise, I popped the bikes cherry tonight and it's a seriously great machine!! First trail I hit was a loose rocky climb followed by a short (40s), rocky and loose descent down a ridge line called Heart Starter and Arrythmia. I did a personal best on the climb and descent, the descent I was a second off the pace from my PB and this was the first time riding the bike.

The XTR 11 speed is a real highlight, the shifting is crisp and light and so seamless that the first few gear changes I though I'd set the indexing incorrectly because I didn't feel anything through my feet after hitting the lever, it really is that smooth. The cockpit needed a handle bar rotation forward and some angle adjustments on the levers, but minor stuff. The Easton Havok is actually a very stiff bar to run, the SixC on my Yeti is a bit more comfortable to use. Also might grab a 50mm stem for the bike, it's comfortable and a roomy cockpit, but I think 10mm more would be on the money.

The Fox shock is the weak point at this point. It gets some serious heat into it without much work on it, and the rear feels a little bit harsh, even with a bit more pressure taken out of it and slowing the rebound down a little. It does pop nicely though, it was very easy to bounce around the trail and hop over rocks to keep speed, playful demeanour. I do think buying the Monarch was the right move though.

The Light Bicycle wheels are brilliant!
They're stiff and hold a line so differently, even compared to the sure footedness of the Yeti. I also had to drop my tyre pressures a bit (They're at 15PSI/17PSI). The Minion DHF and SS combo is really good out here, the bike holds a line through corners very nicely and it is really rewarding, especially on the fairly loose skatey trail surface out here, to just drop a little lower, press the bike into the corner and feel it hold. Guessing it'll be something to get my head around in the coming months.

duneblazer

Likes Bikes
Do those bash guards just screw straight into the lower to ISCG05 mounting holes? They look the go!
Yes mate they sure do.
I'd consider sizing up though, run the 34T bash guard with 32t chainring etc. Just so it protrudes a bit further for more protection.

Z

Zaf

Yes mate they sure do.
I'd consider sizing up though, run the 34T bash guard with 32t chainring etc. Just so it protrudes a bit further for more protection.
That was the plan anyway given the oval nature of the ring. Might get one on order tonight. Cheers for the heads up!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
What about one of these crash plates, light and minimal
http://77designz.com/
I've got the top guide from them and it's awesome. I believe Crankin (NoSkidMarks) sells them. Tried to get one of the Spesh ones, but the staff at my local store told me that they weren't sold separately.

I went for a couple of years with no chain drops, but then started getting them every now and then (even with new rings), which is just not what you ever want on a ride. Especially if you're on a Strava run :behindsofa:

Last edited:

duneblazer

Likes Bikes
That was the plan anyway given the oval nature of the ring. Might get one on order tonight. Cheers for the heads up!
No probs mate! Hpefully it works out, CRANKIN is the seller in AU

I've got the top guide from them and it's awesome. I believe Crankin (NoSkidMarks) sells them. Tried to get one of the Spesh ones, but the staff at my local store told me that they weren't sold separately.

I went for a couple of years with no chain drops, but then started getting them every now and then (even with new rings), which is just not what you ever want on a ride. Especially if you're on a Strava run :behindsofa:
I also have one of the the free solo top guides!
A mate of mine has the new stumpy with the small Spesh guide you speak of, I couldn't get one either. The new One-Up version looks the good too!

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
The Spesh shops should be able to get you one. Ask them to call head office and ask. It is a great guide for cheap.

Last edited:

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
What about a one up components chain ring? Pretty minimal and fairly cheap.

I'm out of the loop. What happened to the Yeti? Graves left you jumped ship also? haha

Z

Zaf

What about a one up components chain ring? Pretty minimal and fairly cheap.

I'm out of the loop. What happened to the Yeti? Graves left you jumped ship also? haha

Still have the Yeti, although no wheels for it at the moment. I'll likely never sell it; I love the bike and I'd never sell it for what it's worth to me because, you know, 26".

I bought the Stumpy EVO 2014 mid year, and then did this to it.

Then... Bought some bits and pieces for it when I got the new frame. It felt wrong giving it old used bits...look at it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zaf

The monarch plus arrived today.

Apologies for the poor image quality. The shock is a Low/Medium compression/rebound tune, and there's not a huge amount of frame clearance with the air can but it fits nearly and cycles its entire stroke without contacting.

Haven't taken it out for a burn just yet, but feels good mucking around the property. I did need to put a heap of pressure in the can to get it at 27% sag, about 290PSI in it for that. I think it's a mix of the large negative air chamber and the lower compression tune keeping it quite plush through that early travel.

Hard to compare, the Float CTD with the Rx tune was starting to feel pretty good, this feels very much the same so far, but trail test is the only test that counts, so I'll get her out for a loop tomorrow and see how it behaves.

I can just fit a 550mL bottle in the cage, which is all slammed down, with that reservoir there. But my bottle doesn't have the right flange at the moment, so one that fits correctly will fix the clearance.

Oh, if the bike looks clean, it's because we've had heaps of rain out here over the Xmas new year period, everything is politely bedded down and not dusty.