Stumpjumper FSR S-Works - Coiled Goodness

Nice little weapon, Zaf.

Each to their own but fuck the weight weenie, no-drop NW+clutch sentiment- chain guides & bash guards are a rider's (& bike's) best insurance policy out on the trail. Never understood that with people who ride aggressively, or worse still those who do drop chains with their NW+clutch setups, yet opt for no guide or bash guard on their pride & joy. Might as well be the flat-Earth crowd. All fun & games until you're munting yourself or your frame.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Pfft.., the N/W + clutch + chain guide folk are the flat earth chainline change deniers!!

Bounced down a massive, rutted out and roccaky-arse fire trail last weekend hitting 78kph at one stage. Chain drop? No n-nooo! Evolution and science are wonderful things. :rockon::cheer2::peace:

Fair point- flat-Earth crowd was probably too strong of a description. Faithlings maybe.

No denying the new system works 90-95% of the time & many people will never drop a chain with a NW+clutch arrangement, but having had it happen before (on both a HT & DS) that 5% occasion & the general outcomes (i.e. making a meal out of yourself) because you've dropped a chain at mach 1 through some nasty makes it a bit of an easy one to justify for the sake of $100 & 60g. The prospect of messing up a very nice frame because it's dropped to the inside of the chain ring & fouled on linkage is worse than the thought of axing myself by dropping the chain, putting the gas down & proceeding to rearrange my manhood & self all over my stem, ala Marcellus Wallace, before going off-course in a dust cloud of trouble. The latter I've done myself, the former I've seen done on a handful of occasions, & the accounts of people dropping chains using a NW+clutch setup well & truly exceeds my fingers & toes. A top guide is a small price to pay for a far greater peace of mind, anyway you look at it. Much in the way a BB mounted bash guard is peace of mind for that expensive drive train.

Last edited:

aanon

Likes Dirt
Pfft.., the N/W + clutch + chain guide folk are the flat earth chainline change deniers!!

Bounced down a massive, rutted out and roccaky-arse fire trail last weekend hitting 78kph at one stage. Chain drop? No n-nooo! Evolution and science are wonderful things. :rockon::cheer2::peace:
Top stuff champ, my chain never fell of either until it did, then it was a case of '' fuck this ,I am getting a chain guide''
I just do what works for me.

Z

Zaf

So I sent you get shock off to NSDynamics. The one I got was a 195x46 which is the older spacing, the new frame takes a 197x47.6mm stroke. Now all these shocks appear to have a 51mm shaft that are then internally spaced to get the right travel.

The guys from NSD were onto it in no time (like a week turnaround!), tuned her up and put a new spacer in to get me a 195x47.5 shock, so she sits slacker but still gives the same travel.

mint355

Likes Dirt
The guys from NSD were onto it in no time (like a week turnaround!), tuned her up and put a new spacer in to get me a 195x47.5 shock, so she sits slacker but still gives the same travel.

So shorter eye to eye? What happens when it bottoms out? Seattube buzzzzzz

mitchy_

Llama calmer

So shorter eye to eye? What happens when it bottoms out? Seattube buzzzzzz
shouldn't have an issue with 2mm. my enduro has shorter stays than the the stumpy, and even with the 6mm shorter 27.5" link i'm still not buzzing frame yet.

Z

Zaf

Checked her with the shock deflated at full squish. There's still about 10mm clearance with a minion SS on the rear, things might get interesting with a larger tyre.

That said, although the shock has a 2mm shorter eye to eye, the reducing hardware that came with it has a 2mm spacer that fits between the bolt and shaft that will extend it out to its 197 i2i.

Z

Zaf

I actually wrote a huge wall of text, but then figured nobody would read it... so I've edited it down to these points:

- I know the Minion DHF is mounted backwards in the photo, it was a profile test before i put the rotors on...but truth be told, I still didn't notice until Minty told me, at which point I was just glad I hadn't added sealant yet, so it was an easy change.

- TL;DR version, Big 38mm Light Bicycle wheels = chargey, light and thin Roval wheels = poppy.

Seriously, I love this bike, it's amazing.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Nice mate. I've got the Camber expert (pretty sure the front triangle is exactly the same as the stumpy) and love the SWAT box and just how clean overall the frame is. I thought it was a gimmick at first but with the chain breaker and multi tool I've totally ditched wearing a pack and loving it!!

Z

Zaf

Nice work Zaf - care to share your suspension setup?
Pikes
Pressure: 86PSI giving 22% sag with 3 tokens
LSC: 9 clicks
Rebound: 8 clicks from slow

Monarch Plus
Pressure: 260PSI giving 26% sag with 6 bands (two in negative chamber from NSD)
Rebound: 6 clicks from slow

Tyres: Minion DHF 2.5 at 20PSI and Minion SS 2.3 at 24PSI

Stiff and slow is what I've settled on and quite enjoy for the bike.
It has been a bit journey dialing that in though, let's say that in light of how I used to have it setup (for a while there) it's a big improvement.

Also find on the 29ers I run way more LSC than my smaller wheeled bikes, thing it's a nature of that small bump being monster trucked, I get that supported feel in the stroke without feeling the sacrifice in sensitivity.

Last edited by a moderator:

moman

Likes Dirt
Hey zaf.

What's your reasoning running the 6 bands (especially 2 in the negative)? What's it done to your shock/what were you trying to achieve?

Pikes
Pressure: 86PSI giving 22% sag with 3 tokens
LSC: 9 clicks
Rebound: 8 clicks from slow

Monarch Plus
Pressure: 260PSI giving 26% sag with 6 bands (two in negative chamber from NSD)
Rebound: 6 clicks from slow

Tyres: Minion DHF 2.5 at 20PSI and Minion SS 2.3 at 24PSI

Stiff and slow is what I've settled on and quite enjoy for the bike.
It has been a bit journey dialing that in though, let's say that in light of how I used to have it setup (for a while there) it's a big improvement.

Also find on the 29ers I run way more LSC than my smaller wheeled bikes, thing it's a nature of that small bump being monster trucked, I get that supported feel in the stroke without feeling the sacrifice in sensitivity.

Z

Zaf

NSD put the bands in the negative spring, I found that it suffered the same issue that my Vorsprung can did on the Float X, in not being able to achieve proper sag and extra pressure doing very little to remedy it. They explained that reducing the volume in the negative spring can assist with offsetting this issue.

The six bands in positive is just for bottom out protection, have it maxed. The Stumpy runs quite a high leverage ratio due to the decent travel (135mm) on a relatively short stroke (48mm), this allows me to charge with it without smashing the bottom out bumper.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I've just put 2 bands in the negative chamber on my monarch too. Has made the mid stroke even more supportive now...
The FSR suspension is better suited to a smaller air chamber, especially for heavier riders. (My monarch came from factory with 9 bands in the positive chamber)

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
So with a high leverage ratio frame, the neg chamber is working too well, pulling the shock into its travel too easily?

Makes sense.

moman

Likes Dirt
Really interesting. Being a 95kg guy I'm having a similar problem at the moment with my following. Having to run super high pressures with +/- 20psi having little effect on the sag. The bike runs great with the little bit more sag but I really want to hit 28-30% (prob 30-35 now).

I've played with spacers in the positive to ramp up but never in the negative. Will have to have more of a play.