Stupid Newbie Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrogBoy

Likes Bikes
Guys,

I was wondering how you drop out the front wheel when you have v brakes, do you have to undo, remove, or release the brakes first, or is there some special clever way of doing it?

Thanks.

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Squeeze the two arms of your brakes together, pull the cable back from the left arm, then lift it out from the little latch thing.

If your brakes are tight, it might take a little bit more effort.

G

undo the brakes and then the quick release... you may have to let down your tyre too

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Frogboy... there's no such thing as a stupid question.... only a stupid answer... as you're SURE to find sooner rather than later here on Farkin :)

But these two guys have answered your question perfectly.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Just make sure you do your quick realease back up tight!

Take notice of how it works and whatever you do don't "wingnut" it :)

RSC

Likes Bikes
uhh wing nut??/
why do u need to let the tyre down, mine comes off without a lot of probs so yeh wats that a bout , unless u got 4 " wide tyres

Fritta

Likes Dirt
Really there's a way to do this?
I just undo my quick release and if it doesn't come out, then YANK! :lol:

Rik

logged out
FrogBoy said:
what thew farg does 'wingnut' mean in this context?
OK, alot of people use the QR lever like a wingnut, just spin it until it tightens. This is no good. A QR lever operates with a cam, and locks on. You spin the nut, close the lever, if it doesn't engage, tighten the nut a bit, and when you close the lever you want it to feel very firm. BUT, don't overtighten the lever, as you'll have problems opening it again.

If this means nothing, get someone to show you what's loose, tight, and what's just right... the only way to learn is through experimenting and feeling for yourself ;)

tu plang

knob
with qr i find that if u tighten the nut so that the lever begins to bite at about halfway through its swing it will be a good tightness.
grip said:
Frogboy... there's no such thing as a stupid question.... only a stupid answer... as you're SURE to find sooner rather than later here on Farkin

But these two guys have answered your question perfectly.
yeah ur right, answered it quickly and precisely... no 3 page rant :p.... i love u grip

FrogBoy

Likes Bikes
I understand what you mean by 'wingnut' now, I must say - it never occured to me to use it like a wingnut - the correct (cam) way just seems the most natural.

Woodsie

Likes Dirt
And make sure that the QR lever on both wheels ends up tucked out of the way so that it doesn't get caught by a rock or stick or something and get opened.

I agree with Grip. There's no such thing as a stupid question. We all love a chance to show just how clever we are! :lol:

snotty

Likes Bikes
RSC said:
why do u need to let the tyre down, mine comes off without a lot of probs so yeh wats that a bout , unless u got 4 " wide tyres
well i have old as hell Bullit Bro's forks with V's and Tioga 2.3's...hard work getting the wheel through the pads..if care is not taken you can rip the pads around and have to spend time re-allining them...any wider tyres and i would have to let them down..

bazza

look at me
v brakes? whatsa v brake? hahah jks. there will be a little metal 1/4 loop section that sticks out of your v brake and this is where you cable goes. you have to get this out of the top part of the v brake. if you can do that it will spring apart making getting your tyre out veryyy easy. well compared to having your brakes in there normal position.

FrogBoy

Likes Bikes
Guys,

I had a crack at releasing the brakes - and had no problems doing it.

Being able to take out that wheel will definately make it easier to put the bike in the car when I need to

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FrogBoy said:
Guys,

I had a crack at releasing the brakes - and had no problems doing it.

Being able to take out that wheel will definately make it easier to put the bike in the car when I need to
now you have to learn how to build a 48 spoke 4-cross wheel!

Status
Not open for further replies.