Suggestions for light XC suspension frame that's not carbon?

Toxic

Likes Dirt
I seek to exploit the collective knowledge.

My wife is thinking of building up a light XC bike but does not want a carbon frame (don't start the arguments). So I'm looking for suggestions of available 29er suspension frames (80-120mm travel) that are ~2.5kg or less and made from aluminium, titanium or steel.

The Liteville 101 is on the list and an example. 2.4kg: http://www.liteville.com/en/64/bikes/101-mk1/frame-set/

Let the suggestions begin! Thanks in advance.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I seek to exploit the collective knowledge.

My wife is thinking of building up a light XC bike but does not want a carbon frame (don't start the arguments). So I'm looking for suggestions of available 29er suspension frames (80-120mm travel) that are ~2.5kg or less and made from aluminium, titanium or steel.

The Liteville 101 is on the list and an example. 2.4kg: http://www.liteville.com/en/64/bikes/101-mk1/frame-set/

Let the suggestions begin! Thanks in advance.
Yeti or Santa Cruz Tallboy Mark 3- I just dont know who is doing alloy versions these day. Does Cannondale do the Scalpel in alloy.

You know people will say -- CARBON

Toxic

Likes Dirt
I KNOW people will say carbon. I have said carbon.

But it is an interesting exercise.

Doesn't have to be a big name builder. Smaller and boutique suggestions welcome.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Most xc alu frames would be 2.5kg with shock, depending on size no?

Sicne everyone is going upmarket (tends to happen without a budget), I'd expect anthems, cannondale (not sure if it's called a scalpel, maybe a trigger), kona hei hei, and the meridas should be around the 2.5kg mark I would have thought.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Lynksey fs29 is an option.
An interesting option, but I just don't trust those linkages. Look unsettlingly spindly.

Niner Jet 9s (all models) are pretty light from memory. Also anything with a single pivot design should be pretty lightweight too. Lenzsport?

Edit: Current Jet 9 is a relatively porky 3.1kg according to Jenson USA website. I'd check out Lenzsport if you have an aversion to carbon.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yeah, was going to suggest a Liteville:

Not much else out there pushing the alloy bandwagon like they do, most other manufacturers offer alloy as a cheap carbon alternative, not as a proper outright choice.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
wish i had the loot, would consider the big wheels for that price, not the lady one though
No point worrying about what you don't have. Enjoy what you have got.

must... resist ... bike ...pr0n ..... it isn't easy :heh: I'm trying

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
my little dirty wish is that AL will make a big comeback in frames, be it a carbon-Al composite or whatever [or that carbon frames will be as cheap as Al]

I have no suggestions but good luck, why doesn't she want Carbon? is she worried about scratching/chipping it

Toxic

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Most alloy frames seem to be 3-3.2kg. That Joplin is a bargain but I can't find a weight for it. The wife already has a Fuel EX29 that's ~13kg, but wants to keep that as it is.

Why not carbon? We've spoken to too many people lately who keep sending them back for warranty claims. Still doesn't trust it.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I have a Lynskey Pro 29 (an older version than the current one, 2011 I think)

https://lynskeyperformance.com/pro-29-frame-only/

Not sure of the frame weight, but my XL with Crossmax SLR and a DT Swiss fork comes in around 11kg from memory.

It's very stiff, and doesn't ride plush like Titanium supposedly can, but it's really quick up hills and loves getting a bit of air off jumps and rollers. Surprisingly playful for a race-oriented 29er.

I bought mine used from the US when the dollar was over parity, so it didn't work out too pricey relatively speaking. RRP is not cheap, but I've seen Torpedo7 and CRC offer the frames at a discount in the past.

Not a suspension frame, I know, but it's a riot.

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Cotic Soul is 4.5 lbs (= 2.04 kg) - not strictly XC but nice all round bike

Ritchey P-650b is also just over 2 kgs and would be a great XC frame

edit: both are HT sorry, but steel HT are awesome :)

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Based on my experience with Yeti ASR SL which weighs 2.3kg for medium (26", mine is a large), light weight Al has consequences in flex.

If she's a slip of a girl and rides a small or medium you might get away with it.

More practical to reduce weight in components.

Also superlight Al at least and probably more at risk of cracking as carbon.

Last edited: