Suggestions for strong 26er rims - what's still available?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Hey Rotorburn,
I recently grabbed a pair of hope tech DH 27.5 rims from CRC, but, as I have a truckton of 26er tyres to use up, and no actual 27.5 wheels built up, I would like to get hold of some strong 26er rims before Moorey hoards them all.

26er rims seem to be getting thin on the ground.
the only thing CRC/wiggle has is the WTBi25 rim, which is roughly the dimensions and ID of my current flow-ex stans rims. I think they are more for XC and "trail" use though, which may not suit my 100kg plus bod.

Pushys had ONE dt swiss FR 560 in 26er. any leads on FR560s? they look like a good strong rim.

Couldn't find any stans flow mk3 26er for less than BS money,

suggestions welcome

Cheers

Mattyp

Cows go boing
i have a 26" rear Intense Mag30 DH on dice hoodoo hub i could part with, bulletproof wheel that i ran on my 4cross bike after folding the original sun rim i had on it.

ForkinGreat

Anyone recall Halo SAS and combat rims? heavy AF, but cheap and durable by the reviews...
Has anyone ever successfully run them tubeless? the Halo site says not tubeless compatible :(

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have had a Dice Duke on the rear of the old Heckler for years and it has held up fine. Popped a few spokes occasionally but still good.
I think any 500gm-ish triple wall cavity alloy rim will do you pretty well for general trail messing around.

T-Rex

Template denier
Hey Rotorburn,
I recently grabbed a pair of hope tech DH 27.5 rims from CRC, but, as I have a truckton of 26er tyres to use up, and no actual 27.5 wheels built up, I would like to get hold of some strong 26er rims before Moorey hoards them all.

26er rims seem to be getting thin on the ground.
the only thing CRC/wiggle has is the WTBi25 rim, which is roughly the dimensions and ID of my current flow-ex stans rims. I think they are more for XC and "trail" use though, which may not suit my 100kg plus bod.

Pushys had ONE dt swiss FR 560 in 26er. any leads on FR560s? they look like a good strong rim.

Couldn't find any stans flow mk3 26er for less than BS money,

suggestions welcome

Cheers
mavic EX823 if you can find them

xero

Supersports
We have some Halo's left ... Not many but some... some are down to 1 only....
Halo Freedoms .. ( we used to run these on our DH race bikes and they stood up Ok ), Combats, SAS and Tornado's ( which for some reason are not showing up on our site right now. )
If interested, shoot us an email and we can check actual stock amounts - info@supersports.net.au

ForkinGreat

Halo SAS are good, just not real light...everything is a trade off though!
true, the 26er wheels are on my Rune, so plowing down rocky tracks and pushing up is the usual thing. (when the youies and other parks finally open up at some point in the future?!?!?)
lighter wheels on the 29er because that's more for XC trails, riding from home and practicing social distancing ;)

T-Rex

Template denier
I blew a few eyelets on these so I prefer EX721 and EX729s. I have a feeling they might also be thin on the ground though :rolleyes:.
Impressive.

Junior ran EX823s when he was competing in Nationals for DH, and he is incredibly hard on his equipment. This is how I learned wheel building. Ripping out a threaded eyelet is quite an achievement, even Junior never managed to do that.

moorey

call me Mia
The
Impressive.

Junior ran EX823s when he was competing in Nationals for DH, and he is incredibly hard on his equipment. This is how I learned wheel building. Ripping out a threaded eyelet is quite an achievement, even Junior never managed to do that.
832’s are a splendidly strong rim. I bought a well used set, Felix couldn’t dent them on his DH bike, and now I race them. Thinner rims seem to handle the hits better in my experience