Suggestions to replace my Rapid Bob tyres

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hey guys,

I have Schwalbe Rapid Bob tyres on my Giant Talon but the rear is starting to wear down a bit. Any suggestions for a better XC tyre?

I do most of my riding on Smithfield trails, I ride a bit on road (to get places) and I haven't gone tubeless (I'll wait for my next bike for that).

stirk

Burner
Stay off the tarmac?
Only in the wet!

Maxxis ikon is a great xc rear tyre too, I'm currently pushing a tomahawk and love it but can't tell the difference between that and the ardent it replaced. If you go maxxis run the 3c exo it's worth the coin over cheaper rubber.

HamboCairns

Only in the wet!

Maxxis ikon is a great xc rear tyre too, I'm currently pushing a tomahawk and love it but can't tell the difference between that and the ardent it replaced. If you go Maxxis run the 3C EXO it's worth the coin over cheaper rubber.
I found this which looks pretty good - http://www.pushys.com.au/maxxis-ikon-27-5x2-20-650b-exo-3c-tubeless-ready-folding-mtb-tyre.html

There's a 2.35 version available (I currently run 2.25 F&R) but I don't know if it's too tight a squeeze.

moorey

call me Mia
Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Go Ikon front & rear for XC. Will grip for days in anything but big mud. Nice bag size and handles low pressure well if you use the EXO. Tubeless up like a dream.

stirk

Burner
HR2 on an xc bike...u mad bro? Even the ardent is like 700g+.
Love the hr2's, run one on the rear of the spitty, but it's like riding through wet cement on the road.
Perhaps a little mad, yes, and on the front why not run a hr2, not the rear though that would be hard work.

I like to cover all bases with a front tyre, most trail has scetchy mud, sand, loose rock, all kinds of terrain in the one ride so having a tyre which can handle it all is better than compromising for a purely XC rated tyre, on the front particularly so.

Who cares how a mountain bike rides on the road. :loco:

moorey

call me Mia
Perhaps a little mad, yes, and on the front why not run a hr2, not the rear though that would be hard work.

I like to cover all bases with a front tyre, most trail has scetchy mud, sand, loose rock, all kinds of terrain in the one ride so having a tyre which can handle it all is better than compromising for a purely XC rated tyre, on the front particularly so.

Who cares how a mountain bike rides on the road. :loco:
OP was saying he's on the road sometimes...I had to ride 5km uphill on the bitumen to get to the meet point...I do that ride once a week (NZ tyres were still on), it's a dawdle on my usual tyres.
Even for my occasional XC races, I don't used xc tyres (running NN's for most things),but hr2 is just silly.
OP, if you were happy with roro, why not try rara. Aren't they same basic tread, but a better quality lighter tyre? (Could be wrong)

Ivan

Eats Squid
A Crossmark on the rear should handle road duties ok, and will be heaps cheaper than Schwable.

moorey

call me Mia
A Crossmark on the rear should handle road duties ok, and will be heaps cheaper than Schwable.
They roll well, but having tried a couple, they are god awful offroad for any grip (iin the wet, they're downright scary), even on the back. You can get the performance range schwalbe very cheap. If not going tubeless, they're a good option...and also can be run tubeless if you're patient for the pinholes to seal, although the sidewalls aren't too strong.

cogs19

Likes Bikes
OP, if you were happy with roro, why not try rara. Aren't they same basic tread, but a better quality lighter tyre? (Could be wrong)
On the rear, I went from Rocket Rons to Racing Ralphs (with an interlude on Rock Razor). Racing Ralphs have been fine with me, not sure what their wear factor is like as only been using them for a month or two. But they are light and fast - which to me is ideal for XC. Tubeless set up is easy too.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's wrong with the Rapid Robs that you have?

I run the Rapid Rob's because they are insanely cheap and have as good or better cornering/climbing grip than the other low rolling resistance tyres I've tried (including Maxxis Crossmarks, Conti Race King, Ritchey Shield). At $23 a piece from Pushys you can afford to replace them at regular intervals.

The only negatives I've found are they aren't very good in mud and the sidewalls are a little thin.

Last edited:

HamboCairns

What's wrong with the Rapid Robs that you have?

I run the Rapid Rob's because they are insanely cheap and have as good or better cornering/climbing grip than the other low rolling resistance tyres I've tried (including Maxxis Crossmarks, Conti Race King, Ritchey Shield). At $23 a piece from Pushys you can afford to replace them at regular intervals.

The only negatives I've found are they aren't very good in mud and the sidewalls are a little thin.
Apart from being worn down, they are a bit on the heavy side compared to some.

But $23 is an amazing price and I haven't broken or torn a tyre yet *touch wood*. Only one puncture too.

stirk

Burner
Apart from being worn down, they are a bit on the heavy side compared to some.

But $23 is an amazing price and I haven't broken or torn a tyre yet *touch wood*. Only one puncture too.
Yeah, the metal in the rubber makes those ones in the link heavy.