Sun ringle single track 26” tubeless

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
Morning all, just wondering if anyone has converted sun ringle single track or mtx33 rims to tubeless. We have loads of thorns out our way and I’m over replacing tubes and unsuccessfully patching tubes.

These rims have Schrader valves, so I’ll search for some of them. I have s

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tannus armour inserts are another an option if you can get tubeless to work. I went with these when my ghetto tubeless conversion failed on some old rims.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Those cats head thorns are misery for tyres.
I used to run into them quite a bit and the heavy DH thornproof tubes did help but turn your wheels into boat anchors.

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
I have the thorn proof tubes in now and they still puncture. Should I just bite the bullet and try them. How effective are rim strips vs ghetto split tube

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i used a stan’s rim strip, with schrader to good effect, unfortunately damaged it when re-filling sealant 6 months later

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I converted a mates hardtail to tubeless, and it had rims that had schrader valves, I think they were AlexRims. I used the Bears Outdoor Masking Tape (the blue stuff) to tape them up and just used standard presta tubeless valve stems, can't remember which brand... either Stans, Venzo or Lifeline, but regardless, they fitted up and sealed fine. I think I fitted Schwalbe Nobby Nics and Rocket Rons. I used a compressor, which I think is a must have, if you want to run tubeless.

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
I know they are available, it’s finding someone that has them in stock. Everywhere I have looked at are either out of stock or they are no longer listed. I wonder if these automotive ones would work

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
ill try one soon enough, they have the locking nuts on the inside of the rim, so may have to locktite them if they fit because I don’t think I’ll get the 2 nuts on the thread. They are designed for alloy rims.

T-Rex

Template denier
Morning all, just wondering if anyone has converted sun ringle single track or mtx33 rims to tubeless. We have loads of thorns out our way and I’m over replacing tubes and unsuccessfully patching tubes.

These rims have Schrader valves, so I’ll search for some of them. I have s
Waaaayyyyy back, before tubeless was a thing, we used to convert MTX into tubeless by slitting a 20" schrader tube around it's outside circumference, thereby making a combined rim tape and valve. Worked a treat.

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
That had crossed my mind also, I’ve watched several vids on going ghetto. I guess for the cost of a 20” tube it would be worth a shot

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Waaaayyyyy back, before tubeless was a thing, we used to convert MTX into tubeless by slitting a 20" schrader tube around it's outside circumference, thereby making a combined rim tape and valve. Worked a treat.
Ultimate ghetto tubeless! With a tube. So much internal conflict. I fear I may discombobulate.

T-Rex

Template denier
That had crossed my mind also, I’ve watched several vids on going ghetto. I guess for the cost of a 20” tube it would be worth a shot
I think we did this before Youtube, totally experimental at the time. One thing to be aware of is that seating the tyre can be a bit tricky, as there is not a tight fit between the tyre bead and the rim, so you may not be able to inflate it with a pump. We used to use a 9 litre water fire extinguisher, empty the water out, and put 100PSI in it. Remove the valve core, and blasting a large volume of air into the tyre overwhelms any leaks, and the tyre seats no problem.

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
I was wondering that. Whether the extra resistance of the tyre against the tube would make it a lot harder to seat. I know the Maxxis tyres on my bike were difficult to seat with normal tube.
$5 a tube I’ll give it a shot. If it seats and holds air over a couple of days I’ll get some sealant and do the others.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I have converted my MTX33s to tubless before and it was a lot of stuffing around. I ran these plastic adaptors in the rim to fit tubeless presta valves. Lots of that blue bear tape and it worked in the end. I ran Schwalbe HD and Rock Razor on them. They needed a trip to the servo to get them to take air, but once that happened they were fine. These things: https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/...5hrRtGmXWvFoVkGNRl9PutBOCvkVsGhxoCwDcQAvD_BwE

I'd just ghetto tuebless them with a 20" tube. I currently have my rear 29" rim setup that way with a 24" tube and it has been faultless. Just take your time with cutting the excess tube and you'll be fine.

The other option is to cut some tubes and use the schraeder valves as the tubeless valves.

T-Rex

Template denier
I was wondering that. Whether the extra resistance of the tyre against the tube would make it a lot harder to seat. I know the Maxxis tyres on my bike were difficult to seat with normal tube.
$5 a tube I’ll give it a shot. If it seats and holds air over a couple of days I’ll get some sealant and do the others.
You will need sealant from the get go, it won’t hold air with just the tube

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
So I had a play with the tubeless thing today on my single track rim. I tried the above car valve and it worked from what I could see. It still had the old tube rim strip on so could hear air leaking from the spoke holes.
Then tried the ghetto 20” tube, it’s on and holding air, I will get some stans sealant tomorrow, but for the sake of a $5 tube to try it, it’s easy to set up.
I’m curious to see if it holds air over night.