Cassette - Something new off mate
Front hub - Hope Pro II Evo Black
Rear hub - Hope Pro II Evo Black
Front rim - Spank Stiffy 40al Black
Rear rim - Spank Stiffy 40al Black
Tyres - Minion F front and rear tubeless

Total weight - 17.8 kg

Original thread begins here.

First post here in years, and with tax back coming, broken parts and injuries I thought it was time to get the old girl like new again. Plans are a complete rebuild with all new wheel set new forks and shock, brakes and most of the drive train. Hopefully by the end of it all it should make the Kessel run in less than 12 Parsecs.

Having a bit of trouble removing the two linkages, had to drill out the shock mount after I found one of the bolt heads holding it in had sheared off, so all the linkages will be getting the hardware replaced if I can source the parts, pearce cycles seem to be the only way unless anyone knows anywhere in Aus who can source em? Local bearing shop quoted me ~$60 for all the bearings.

http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product_list/209

First off it'll be getting a respray, I liked the paint from the 2010 demo's and a quick photoshop mock up came out nice I thought.

Will update this post with new updates

Attachments

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Avid Code CR brakes, Spank Stiffy 40al rims on Hope Pro2 hubs, already got a new Vivid R2C, Saint cranks and if funds allow I'll be searching for a pair of world cups or 40's. The old boxxers were just rebuilt and run smooth as, so forks are my last upgrade. Small things as well like seat post and seat will be replaced. I'm currently riding on a stock seat from an S-Works road bike a mate built up, it might be light but it's hard as s### and falling apart after some dh abuse.

Might edit later with a proper spec list from my crc order

melonhead

Likes Bikes
I will be watching this build with great interest. I have just recently bought a 2006 Sunday Elite. They are a great frame that seem to be ageing exceptionally well. I like the colour scheme you have chosen.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I will be watching this build with great interest. I have just recently bought a 2006 Sunday Elite. They are a great frame that seem to be ageing exceptionally well. I like the colour scheme you have chosen.
You can't go wrong, I bought mine new and I've ridden a bunch of different frames and nothing else feels 'right'. Going on five years almost now and can't fault it. Headed down to the LBS now to try and get the linkages off of the frame. Just went to the powder coaters, if I can get the links off today it's going in first thing Monday morning.

Can anyone help me out posting photos? Every time I try they come up full size, do I need to upload them to photobucket or flickr first then link them?

Last edited:

melonhead

Likes Bikes
Can anyone help me out posting photos? Every time I try they come up full size, do I need to upload them to photobucket or flickr first then link them?
I am by no means an expert, but I upload all my photos to Photobucket then post the link.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
consider a k9 ARC 2deg ... have sold a few of these to very happy Sunday owners. does drop the BB a little, but the slacker HA is worth it I'm told ... love the green and black btw

hazza6542

Eats Squid
consider a k9 ARC 2deg ... have sold a few of these to very happy Sunday owners. does drop the BB a little, but the slacker HA is worth it I'm told ... love the green and black btw
I've actually been wanting to do that, but wasn't sure where to grab one. Just wondering, do they fit straight into my existing headset? Also how can I go about getting one? Cheers.

Last edited:

melonhead

Likes Bikes
I've actually been wanting to do that, but wasn't sure where to grab one. Just wondering, do they fit straight into my existing headset? Also how can I go about getting one? Cheers.
The headset in my Sunday is notchy and in need of replacement. Have been thinking of a 2 degree fixed angleset but have no idea about headset configurations, so will be interested to see what is needed.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Went out the trails today and had a build and watched everyone ride, got the itch to ride again so ran down to bunnings to grab some paint stripper that should work on the existing powder coat to try and move this along faster. Frame will need a fair bit of prep too, lots of scratches from being on the bike rike, just need a solid sand down and smooth em out. Getting more convinced to do the paint myself, forget the powder and fill in the dent on the downtube, again, from the rack :eek:hwell:

So I think I've organised my order so far, not sure if i'm forgetting anything I need, accessories will come later if I can afford to splash out on it on little things.
Untitled.jpg

Cranks should be on there but I'm hoping to find some cheap saints before the order goes in, fat chance that happens though. I'm weighing up between descendant and zee cranks. Don't really give a toss if the bikes heavy, it's over the 20kg mark in current build. Not sure how the headset is either, but that can always be a later order once I figure out this angle set business.
Pics of frame progress will go up tomorrow, have the day off so I'm gunna start all the frame prep. A socket set, hammer, drill and wooden spoon got em out nicely but won't do the job to get em back in.

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Just get on with it already Hamish
I might just forget to put your pedals on my crc order Andrei...

Things have been moving slow, got in injection in my bursa for an old shoulder injury and haven't been able to move my right arm the last couple of days so very little paint stripping has been done. The paint stripper works well but takes a long time. The green just falls off but the grey undercoat is real stubborn, but I'm not leaving coats on very long, bit paranoid about chemicals and an alu frame. As she sits now. You can see where the grey primer is still on there, might even just sand the grey down, it's pretty thin after the stripper gets to it.

Have just ordered a set of K9 Angle set cups from Pushie Industries today, and I've decided on everything for the CRC order so it should all be happening in the next week or two. The K9 ARC needs bearings, and I know bearings from a cane creek is-3 headset work, so surely a bearing the same size from the local bearing shop would do the same, right? Not too knowledgeable about this stuff so please chime in with some wisdom.

Big dent in the frame from the rack, some bog or metal filler should do the trick.

EDIT: Saves posting another reply to thread.

Other side is stripped, sanding tonight and then rear triangle tomorrow. The front triangle still needs the shock housing inside stripped, shouldn't take too long and will hopefully have a completely stripped frame by tomorrow afternoon. If weather permits (hopefully stays clear and warm) I will paint on the weekend.

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Ok so I'm 99% on this design, just needed to continue the green down the seat tube where the top link is into the gusseting. Plus a dw link sticker on the chainstays and Sunday Team X on the top tube. Wouldn't mind IRONHORSE running vertically down the down tube in black, depends how much getting a sticker that big printed and cut out would cost, but we'll see, that's my mission for tomorrow.

Ebay stickers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Horse-...250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338c355bd2

Hopefully I can message him and ask for 'Team X' instead of factory. I know the Team X was an Aus/NZ only model, and nothing original will be left on it but too me it's still a special edition and I want to retain that to the bike. Also trying to find a real Ironhorse badge for the front, don't want to use the sticker and I ripped the one on this bike off and can't use it again, silly mistake.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
So big delays going on here, but it's all back on track again thank god. Decals are being sent out now, CRC order is in and frame is ready for paint. Getting paint done at a shop rather than a home job, getting mates rates good enough to warrant paying instead of risking a cheap dodgy job I might have done. Hopefully have a few more exciting updates by the end of the week.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Still waiting on a bunch of parts to arrive but finally this little guy came today - Lower shock mount pin.

Was a bitch to get out of the frame so will see how it goes going back in. This was order after decals and CRC and has arrived first, tracking number for CRC not working and can't paint until stickers arrive, so it's just a waiting game for now.

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Do not forget to loctite :p sound obvious i know but i was heading up Buller for run 12ish of the day a few years ago and looked down and realized the upper shock pin bolt was a couple of threads away from falling out.. not fun

The paint job mock up looks great, keen to see this finished

hazza6542

Eats Squid
was a couple of threads away from falling out.. not fun
This one was still in there, but the bolt head had pretty snapped off, took no force at all for it to just fall off of the thread.

And just like every CRC order with people questioning the delivery time, not long after my last post ITT I got the email that it had been dispatched, all items together. 7 week days after order, I guess with the wheel build that's not bad, and I'm still waiting for decals before paint so it's all going well.

New question for someone on here though, I have the mounting hardware (Have no idea what I'm doing or talking about here, stay with me) for the original DHX 3.0 but now have a Vivid R2C to go on, should it just slide onto the mount like the DHX? Can't put my thoughts into words, will post pics in five

EDIT: So there are different sized bushing in the both shocks, on both ends, can I just remove them from the DHX and put them into the Vivid and that's that?

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Pretty sure the vivid has different diameter shock eyes to the DHX. Fox use 1/2" bushes and I think RS are different.

You'll need new mounting hardware for the Vivid.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
ahhhh shit. only just considered it last night, will get onto it this afternoon don't want to be held back any longer on this build

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I've used Proshox before. They have a website and sell through eBay. Last time took about 2 weeks from order to delivery. Need to measure length of top and bottom hardware on the DHX and also mounting bolt diameter.