Sunrace Cassettes

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I know this is an old thread.

I've had two of the 10 speed 42 tooth cassettes.

First one was the all steel one, it would change gears when pedaled backwards. No amount of adjusting would fix that. It wasn't a major issue though. How often do you really do that anyway?
It only lasted about 9 months. 9 Hard, shifting under load, muddy, stick infested, 29er enduro months. I probably should have replaced the chain in that time but didn't realise how badly warn it was in that time.

When I built up the 160mm hardtail I threw a fresh 10 speed 42 tooth cassette and chain on (this time the Aluminium large ring). Its been running perfectly for the last few hundred Kms. Its outlasted my rear deraileur. For the money, I cant complain but if I was doing it again. I'll probably just throw on an 11 speed kit and get a shimano 42T kit.

TL:DR Value for money, but you'll be replacing them before a shimano cassette.

-Shaun
I think they might just be a little more sensitive to worn chains, or chains worn to different cassettes maybe. Suffered the shifting on backpedal with one of my cassettes, changed the chain and it's all gone. New chain is SRAM, everything else is Shimano, don't know whether that's got anything to do with it but might be worth mentioning.

Now just need to save some pennies and change all my chains.

Sent from my Xperia Z3C using Tapatalk

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Chain dropping down the cassette all comes down to chainline.

You'll need to change the offset on your cranks / chainring so its more centered or slightly biased to the larger cogs on the cassette. A worn chain if anything should help reduce the problem as it has more flex in it so it can hold the crooked chainline a little easier without wanted to straighten itself up when you backpedal.

Mine went from always dropping on backpedal to maybe almost 50/50% of the time once i had 500+ km on the running gear but stopped completely once i swapped the spacer on the bottom bracket to the non drive side effectively moving the chainring in 2-2.5mm closer to the frame.

Travis.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
So Sunrace make a 10 speed 11-46.

But what rear derailleur(s) did they intend this cassette to work with??

As far as I can see it's a bit of a unicorn choice......Wolftooth & OneUp don't recommend their respective shift products with gears that big.....
Shimano certainly don't recommend their 10 speeds mechs with a 46 tooth ferris wheel...?
I'm not real familiar with SRAM....but maybe there's a rear mech in their line-up that would play nice with that cassette....?
Is it pretty much guaranteed that it would shift like crap no matter what you did? ....or do some derailleurs play nice once you get 'em dialled-in with 2 meter long B-tension screw?

I'd love to fit one with my 32T front 'ring....(and I have a long-cage shadow+ derailleur)....but....?

andrew9

Likes Dirt

As far as I can see it's a bit of a unicorn choice......Wolftooth & OneUp don't recommend their respective shift products with gears that big.....
Shimano certainly don't recommend their 10 speeds mechs with a 46 tooth ferris wheel...?
I'm not real familiar with SRAM....but maybe there's a rear mech in their line-up that would play nice with that cassette....?
Is it pretty much guaranteed that it would shift like crap no matter what you did? ....or do some derailleurs play nice once you get 'em dialled-in with 2 meter long B-tension screw?

I'd love to fit one with my 32T front 'ring....(and I have a long-cage shadow+ derailleur)....but....?
I've read that a M8000 11 speed derailleur can be used with a drivetrain of otherwise 10 speed stuff, and that's designed for 46 standard.
Never tried it myself

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt

xt derailleur works fine with 46 - you'd be surprised how nice they shift, main thing is to get the B screw right (you can buy an extended screw) OR, worst case you'd run a wolf ring roadlink, focus on gettiing the chain line right i.e. may need small spacers on front ring to get a nice mid chain line down to rear cassette. I've used both 1x10 and now 1x11, that's a superior set up in long run. midcage is fine as chain is shorter with 1x compared to 2x.

ideally go 1x11 shimano, trigger shifter, front wolf ring, killer set up. well that's what I use.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
xt derailleur works fine with 46 - you'd be surprised how nice they shift, main thing is to get the B screw right (you can buy an extended screw) OR, worst case you'd run a wolf ring roadlink, focus on gettiing the chain line right i.e. may need small spacers on front ring to get a nice mid chain line down to rear cassette. I've used both 1x10 and now 1x11, that's a superior set up in long run. midcage is fine as chain is shorter with 1x compared to 2x.

ideally go 1x11 shimano, trigger shifter, front wolf ring, killer set up. well that's what I use.
OK cool, that's good info.
I think I'll just give it a go with a minimum of parts (11-46 Sunrace 10 sp. + new chain + plus longer B screw + plus goat link (maybe RADr))....and see how it goes with my 10 speed shadow+ mech.
I've got spacers for my OneUp front chainring too, so that should help.

If it doesn't play nice, I'll grab an 11 speed mech....or just go back to what I have until complete upgrade....

cheers!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK cool, that's good info.
I think I'll just give it a go with a minimum of parts (11-46 Sunrace 10 sp. + new chain + plus longer B screw + plus goat link (maybe RADr))....and see how it goes with my 10 speed shadow+ mech.
I've got spacers for my OneUp front chainring too, so that should help.

If it doesn't play nice, I'll grab an 11 speed mech....or just go back to what I have until complete upgrade....

cheers!
main thing is to pedal backwards furiously no chain drop means it will be fine. this is test with 42.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZKqM8pXLMo

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Since you'll be using a brand new chain then you may have slight skipping until its lightly worn in.

Mine skipped under bumpy pedalling the first hour of riding then was fine.

Setup is a 11spd XT shadow + , Sunrace 11-46 11spd, XT chain, XTR shifter.
Thought I may need the goat link or longer B screw but didn't end up going down that path.

Consistent smooth and snappy shifting the past 2 months / 150km.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Since you'll be using a brand new chain then you may have slight skipping until its lightly worn in.

Mine skipped under bumpy pedalling the first hour of riding then was fine.

Setup is a 11spd XT shadow + , Sunrace 11-46 11spd, XT chain, XTR shifter.
Thought I may need the goat link or longer B screw but didn't end up going down that path.

Consistent smooth and snappy shifting the past 2 months / 150km.
Yeah I'm not that surprised your set-up works well - it's all 11 speed. Any component that is 11 speed will likely be better suited to a 42 or 46 tooth ferris wheel y'know.

It's the Sunrace 11-46 10 SPEED cassette that had me scratchin' my head because I don't think the big ferris wheel cogs were around when 10 speed was the newest standard(??)....that's why I was querying shift quality.

However, there seems to be just enough people around that reckon' the 10 speed 11-46 can be made to work....so I'll give it a go....I love a challenge.......I think...

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Yeah I'm not that surprised your set-up works well - it's all 11 speed. Any component that is 11 speed will likely be better suited to a 42 or 46 tooth ferris wheel y'know.

It's the Sunrace 11-46 10 SPEED cassette that had me scratchin' my head because I don't think the big ferris wheel cogs were around when 10 speed was the newest standard(??)....that's why I was querying shift quality.

However, there seems to be just enough people around that reckon' the 10 speed 11-46 can be made to work....so I'll give it a go....I love a challenge.......I think...
Yeah I totally get ya, meant more as in wear your chain in a bit before you go down the goatlink / longer B-screw path as you're more on the edge of compatibility than my setup. Could be the game changer even though it appears to be a small change haha.
Best of luck!

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Run an 11spd chain with m8000 11 speed derailleur and 10 speed shifter. Works like a charm. Regarding sunrace performane: 2 different bikes 49mm chainline 11-46 on one; 11-42 on the other. Both cassettes dropped down from largest cog. The 46 was worse. Swapped them both out for xt and i can back pedal all day without the chain dshifting down. Cassettes ain't all made equal I'm afraid!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Run an 11spd chain with m8000 11 speed derailleur and 10 speed shifter. Works like a charm. Regarding sunrace performane: 2 different bikes 49mm chainline 11-46 on one; 11-42 on the other. Both cassettes dropped down from largest cog. The 46 was worse. Swapped them both out for xt and i can back pedal all day without the chain dshifting down. Cassettes ain't all made equal I'm afraid!
Thanks for the info.
I'm now weighing up the cost difference between ghetto 1x10 with the M8000 mech upgrade....or complete 1x11 drivetrain (used...or new on-sale...)
Bloody upgraditis!! It's never straight forward.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Flow Mtn Bike has a review of the XT 11 speed groupset....in that review they state that the Shimano 11 speed cassette will "...fit any exisiting Shimano freehub....."

Anyone care to confirm / deny that the Shimano 11 speed cassette would fit onto my 10 speed freehub...? (I had assumed it would not...)

(could be the deal-making factor for me...)

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Flow Mtn Bike has a review of the XT 11 speed groupset....in that review they state that the Shimano 11 speed cassette will "...fit any exisiting Shimano freehub....."

Anyone care to confirm / deny that the Shimano 11 speed cassette would fit onto my 10 speed freehub...? (I had assumed it would not...)

It's true what they say. 11sp shimano doesn't require a special freehub.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt

It's true what they say. 11sp shimano doesn't require a special freehub.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Regarding sunrace performane: 2 different bikes 49mm chainline 11-46 on one; 11-42 on the other. Both cassettes dropped down from largest cog. The 46 was worse. Swapped them both out for xt and i can back pedal all day without the chain dshifting down. Cassettes ain't all made equal I'm afraid!
Never had the problem you mention with Sunrace 11 - 46. I can backpedal all week.

Personally I don't often have a need to backpedal all day in the lowest gear, but prefer the jump from 40t to 46t on Sunrace to the 37t - 46t on Shimano, which is massive. I find 40t is often a useful gear for steep climbing, whereas 37 isn't quite enough when 46 is too much.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2 problems with 1x and dropping chain from back pedal or chain slap on descent.

1, is you have to stop to put it back on, where 2x, 3x, can usually be pedaled back on and; 2 chain drop happens when you really need it, so up climb hammer descent, next climb chain dropped cause you back pedaled slightly through corners to get inside pedal up and nicely rail corner.

so if you can't get it right in workshop it going to be a real pain out on a ride.

Last edited:

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :cheer2:
I have just removed an XT M8000 11speed Rear Mech and Shifter to replace it with SRAM. Its been well used (probably 2500kms but still works fine albeit with quite a few marks and stuff)

If you want it you can have it. I can chuck it in the post if you send me your address. I don't really want the hassle of selling it and you sound like you would use it.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I have just removed an XT M8000 11speed Rear Mech and Shifter to replace it with SRAM. Its been well used (probably 2500kms but still works fine albeit with quite a few marks and stuff)

If you want it you can have it. I can chuck it in the post if you send me your address. I don't really want the hassle of selling it and you sound like you would use it.
PM sent!!