ROAD Super Imperial Rune

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Given that my Rune has been made obsolete (trunnion mount ewww!). I thought I would pimp my Rune with some other obsolete/secondhand parts.

Frame - Big black Rune V2 XL
Rear shock - Float X2 Factory
Front shock/fork - Fox 36 Factory Grip 170mm
Handlebars - Spank Vibrocore 30mm rise, 780mm wide.
Headset - Angleset -1°
Grips - Lizard Skins Northshore lock on
Saddle - Selle SMP Hybrid
Seatpost - Revive 185mm
Front brake - Shimano M8020, Goodridge lines, Uberbike Racematrix pads
Rear brake - Shimano M8020, Goodridge lines, Uberbike Racematrix pads
Cranks - Raceface Turbine 175mm, Absolute Black direct mount oval 32t, Hope bsa30 bb.
Chainguide - Fouriers
Chain - Wipperman Connex 10S8
Pedals - Time MX4
Front derailleur -
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT m786 with Radcage
Front shifter -
Rear shifter - Shimano XTR m980
Cassette - Sunrace MX3 11-46
Front hub - DT 240
Rear hub - DT 240
Front rim - Enve DH
Rear rim - Enve DH
Spokes - Sapim
Nipples - Enve
Tyres - Vittoria Goma 27.5x2.4
Tubes - ghetto tubeless
Total weight - 12kgs with the front wheel on the ground.

It took me two days to assemble, in large part due to fucking around with the wheels trying to get them to mount tubeless. After trying to tape the shit out of them, I was eventually able to get ghetto tubeless to work.

Compared to my SAM this is stiff! In certain gears I get feedback from the tyre knobs and cassette coming up through the seat tube.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm the same height, and the only thing I found with the Rune I rode in NZ was the stack was very low. That was at 170mm.
Looks like you've addressed this with the riser bars. Otherwise, I've nothing but love for the Rune, and it climbed extremely well. Descending was just sublime....

Oddjob

I'm the same height, and the only thing I found with the Rune I rode in NZ was the stack was very low. That was at 170mm.
Looks like you've addressed this with the riser bars. Otherwise, I've nothing but love for the Rune, and it climbed extremely well. Descending was just sublime....
I haven't had a chance to ride her in anger yet because of all the smoke from the fires. The bar height feels ok around the carpark as it is with the 70mmx0° Thomson stem. I've got a 70mmx7° stem to try as well.

She certainly feels more sprightly under power then the SAM and Pole.

Oddjob

Thanks mate, any problems with them? I like the look of them
No problems with rubbing like you get with some of the Hope rotors. I think they are also rebranded as Clarks, Uberbike etc etc.

Oddjob

I've been riding the rune for the last couple of months and have started to get a good feel for it. As far as my enduro bikes go its probably one of, if not the best climber. The frame is super stiff and combined with the climb switch on the shock and the quick lsc adjustment on the Grip damper it handles most climbs with ease.

On the other hand it's not the best descender. The geometry gives a real feeling of confidence but I'm still not 100% happy with the Fox 36 even with the Grip damper and the MRP ramp control. The Grip is a big improvement over the RC2 but its not as good as the DVO Onyx let alone the Avalanched Lyric.

No complaints about the rear end but I can hear the odd knocking sound. I'm not sure if this is from the shock cavitating, a worn bush or something loose in the linkage. Overall the bike feels a little too stiff and not dynamic enough.

In terms of the other parts. I don't think I would bother with Enve wheels again. The rims are clearly very stiff but I think the internal nipples are going to be pain. The Dt 240 hubs spin nicely but you definitely notice the drop in POE from the 120 on my I9s to 36.

I'm not wild about the feel of my XT m8020 4 pots. I don't have any bite point issues and they are certainly effective. But compared to the TRP Quadiems or even the XT m785 or Saint m810 the levers feel flimsy.

Now onto the the parts I really like:
  • the Revive seatpost;
  • Lizard Skins North Shore grips;
  • 10 speed XTR drivetrain and Sunrace cassette;
  • Time MX2 pedals;
  • Oneup EDC tool;
  • Topeak morph pump.