Superstar v works components?

jrewing

Eats Squid
Looking for a 2 inch degree change on a zs56/ec44 with tapered steerer. Not sure works go to 2degree in that combo. Anyone tried ?

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah 95 pounds to send a 20 quid headset. Fuck that. Works all the way.

This is their reasoning.

"Hello Old Mate
Thank you for your email and interest in our products.

Unfortunately due to large amounts of failed deliveries to overseas (rest of world) addresses we have moved all of our international shipping from Royal Mail to UPS.

While we realise that in some cases this will lead to high shipping costs we have reluctantly concluded it is the only we can currently offer an
acceptably secure and reliable service to all of our international
customers.

In cases such as yours where the cost is particularly high we recommend
combining orders with friends and fellow riders and ordering in bulk if possible to keep costs down.

We are very sorry if you do find the new shipping costs prohibitively high, we are always working with our shipping providers to achieve the best combination of price and security and hope to be able to offer a more acceptable solution in the future.

Yours,
David
Superstar Customer Service"

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Had old mate from Superstars email a few years ago....of the dozen or more purchases made I never had an issue with receiving them, pty for him.

Though I think the change coincided with him appointing an aussie distributor....which could be a member on here....

moorey

call me Mia
Had old mate from Superstars email a few years ago....of the dozen or more purchases made I never had an issue with receiving them, pty for him.

Though I think the change coincided with him appointing an aussie distributor....which could be a member on here....
1. Same. Probably 10-15 superstar orders back in the day without issue.
2. There's Aussie distribution? Haven't seen that. Why wouldn't old mate direct us to him?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
By the way on
Tapered steerer fork with ec44/zs56 is 1.5 the max angle?
1.5 is the diameter of the lower portion of the steerer in inches.
Both top and bottom cups will have SHIS codes and each code will have the type of cup, steered tube inner diameter and steerer tube outer diameter.
Your number ec44/zs56 doesn't mean much
Should be something like ZS56-40*(Zero Stack, 56mm head tube id, 40mm fork steerer od)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

herbman

Likes Dirt
I have works angle head set.

Rate then highly. Not flash, no pretty colour combos. But they work well and the company is easy to deal with.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
+1 on Works Angle set. got a 1deg for Phantom. postage reasonable, installed ok. just line everything up properly. Got MWI to help so I didn't fk it up :whistle:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Pretty sure the achievable angle with Works is relative to head tube length. The longer the tube, the less max angle available.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Pretty sure the achievable angle with Works is relative to head tube length. The longer the tube, the less max angle available.
This makes sense to me. Picture a straw leaning over in a tall glass, verses a short glass.
Works have a number of headsets available for different lengths of headtube. When I bought mine, I was a Size 2 (at 101.6mm HT), but they went all the way up to Size 5 (about 140mm from memory). They make them with different angles based upon the projected length, the crafty buggers!

I've also had one on an older bike too. And now, depending of other things (like if one bike sells and I buy another, which then will make my current Enduro bike want to be more Enduro) I'll be grabbing another one :)

jrewing

Eats Squid
Now just trying to work out 1.5 or 2 degree.
Do the forks look odd coming out at an angle rather than parallel with the headtube?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
The first one I put in did look a little weird as it comes out of the top of the HT much further back and the top cup is much thicker.

TBH though, once it was in and I was riding it, it all went away ;)

Occasionally people notice and ask about it, but most don't even give it a second glance.