Suppressed repost.

slowmick

38-39"
Enjoy riding it - looks like a great job.

FWIW I've had chainstays break under my fat arse in the past. Also broke a weld on a down tube. I'd take the chain stay any day. It's like throwing out the anchor. Breaking a crank was far sketchier.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Fkn tradies (on behalf of @Haakon who is mia).
Nah, weld looks good to me. I’ll be first in line though when it breaks :)

I’m a fan of having a crack at dubious welding. Done plenty of cast iron exhaust manifolds with normal MIG, not recommended but I’ve had it last several years when preheated and a v notch cut into the crack.

At least that’s just one side so the wheel probably won’t fall off if it fails :)

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Yeah I should know something about welding cracks considering I've worked in fabrication welding and getting 1000's of alloy cylinder heads repaired over the years, unlike some internet experts & office jockeys. :)
Yep.

Except this isn't an alloy head and isn't subjected to the heat, stress or even movement of one.

Would I weld a head and trust it? No.

Would I weld a chainstay and ride as hard as possible? You betcha.

With regular inspection there's more chance of an axle failing under load than the weld suddenly letting go.

As much as I enjoy a Moorey fail post, we ain't gonna see one as a result of this.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
It will be fine .
Broke both chainstays landing a jump, expertly of course , nothing happens except the rear collapses onto the tyre= not dangerous at all.
Now breaking a handlebar down a logroll =that is not fun.