Suppressed repost.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yep.

Except this isn't an alloy head and isn't subjected to the heat, stress or even movement of one.

Would I weld a head and trust it? No.

Would I weld a chainstay and ride as hard as possible? You betcha.

With regular inspection there's more chance of an axle failing under load than the weld suddenly letting go.

As much as I enjoy a Moorey fail post, we ain't gonna see one as a result of this.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
If someone has just welded over the crack there's a good chance it will eventuality come through again. Depending on how the bike is ridden it might take 6 weeks or it might take 6 years. The best way is to v the crack out and test it for cracks coming through as you're filling the metal back up. By looking at where it's cracked, it looks like a stress point to me.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If someone has just welded over the crack there's a good chance it will eventuality come through again. Depending on how the bike is ridden it might take 6 weeks or it might take 6 years. The best way is to v the crack out and test it for cracks coming through as you're filling the metal back up. By looking at where it's cracked, it looks like a stress point to me.
Just drill holes at the end of the crack. Worked for my grandfather maintaining spitfires in the war.

New, three spark plugs per cylinder mod.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Somehow I doubt this is a simple weld over.
Just ride your bike Moorey, you will not come to grief doing 2 foot hucks. :p
2 foot now?

Must have been a few bail outs before he went the extra 18".
Committed to memory, hadn't thought of that one.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Aand it’s got another crack starting. Different spot, but probably weakened by nearby weld.
I need it to get me through this race season, though I fear Mt Beauty Enduro this weekend would be too much to ask of it.
Going to give one more repair a go next week, and see if it will make it the race season :(