Suppressed repost.

moorey

call me Mia
Back from the dead. Hopefully it doesn’t end up back there for both of us.
Got the old girl expertly welded, then I got some colour matched enamel paint made up.
Wish me well. Bear in mind it’s me riding it now, not Felix, so it’s essentially retired anyway. It’s just a bike I looooove, and can’t replace. Always room for more Moorey posts in the confession and crash pic threads

Attachments

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Great work Moorey. Now to raid the parts bin and build up to her former glory.

Go on, you know you want to....

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Great work Moorey. Now to raid the parts bin and build up to her former glory.

Go on, you know you want to....

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Thanks man.
I’m embarrassed to say I have more than enough spare parts to rebuild it to its former glory...stick a pin in it. Just need to find a couple of hours of play time.
I originally got the frame embarrassingly cheap from a guy wanting to go 27.5, not knowing this takes 27.5 perfectly.
Would have happily paid @xero what the whole frame owes me for just a replacement chainstay, but alas, neither he, nor the guys in the States could get me one :(

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Oh, and it will be 26 again now that Felix is done with it. I tried it with both, preferred 26, but Felix is 650b4lyf...until he eventually wants to try 29” again.

safreek

Sweet, don't let a crack worry you. When I had a bike welded around the headtube it was fine.
Too many people waste good frames, lil princesses. Ride hard, crash free

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Thanks man.
I’m embarrassed to say I have more than enough spare parts to rebuild it to its former glory...stick a pin in it. Just need to find a couple of hours of play time.
Finding time usually ends up being a problem. Keep at it and do it at your leisure. does make it more enjoyable than pinning on timeframes to get stuff completed by tomorrow.

I originally got the frame embarrassingly cheap from a guy wanting to go 27.5, not knowing this takes 27.5 perfectly.
Would have happily paid @xero what the whole frame owes me for just a replacement chainstay, but alas, neither he, nor the guys in the States could get me one :(
Looks to be fixed up nicely, I wouldn't worry about that one. If you have excess 26" or 27.5" then you have some good choices in the parts bin.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Doesn't alloy require heat treating after the welding process?
Good point, Unqualified guesswork from me, I thought 6061 frames were heat treated after welding to add strength while 7075 tubing was were heat treated beforehand and welding up the joints didn't need further baking.

I'm sure there is a lot more to come from someone that really knows.

moorey

call me Mia
Missed opportunity to get the whole frame bead blasted and painted a unique colour.
Could have replaced the frame for that, Warren Buffet.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Missed opportunity to get the whole frame bead blasted and painted a unique colour.
It really depends on the alloy as you have mentioned. Likely a solution hardening at low temperature from my limited experience of 6061. Not like tempering of some steels where it will fail if not done. Aluminium will solution harden at room temperatures over a longer period. Probably not in Ballarat.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's hard to see from here but if it's a solid pressed piece and you haven't ground the crack out, it will most likely propagate from the original crack. You can always tack a small plate over it to take some of the load away from the welded repair.

moorey

call me Mia
It's hard to see from here but if it's a solid pressed piece and you haven't ground the crack out, it will most likely propagate from the original crack. You can always tack a small plate over it to take some of the load away from the welded repair.
My man is a gun with welding, materials, engineering and fabricating. I have 100% confidence in how he decided to tackle it.
It’s not a backyard operation, he’s a fastidious professional.
Would I put Felix on it? Nope.
Will I ride it as hard as it’s made to be ridden? No.
Will I use it as a general trail bike and keep an eye on it? Absolutely.

Flow-Rider

Burner
My man is a gun with welding, materials, engineering and fabricating. I have 100% confidence in how he decided to tackle it.
It’s not a backyard operation, he’s a fastidious professional.
Would I put Felix on it? Nope.
Will I ride it as hard as it’s made to be ridden? No.
Will I use it as a general trail bike and keep an eye on it? Absolutely.
Geebus no need to get touchy, you got nothing to lose and just ride it.