Surfing...

hazza37

Likes Bikes
yeah i live for the beach. i used to ride an AL Merick 6"1' but got to big for it (IT IS FOR SALE,PM ME IF INTERESTED). I am now riding a Micheal Anthony's 6"8" and farkkkk its sweet.
Good story about the surf: Last year just before christmas i was camping at torquay, and was out at about 5pm. I was paddleing out for another wave, when i saw a massive seal, literaly 5 metres off the shore. i had done my bronze medalion the week before at Jan Juc (the next beach around), and i realised that i had learnt that a seal will come right into saw if the is a preditor like a SHARK out futher. i got straight out of the water and told one of the lifesavers that there was a seal, right in close. they said sarcasticly "yea there must be a shark". the next day on the front page of the paper, it said there had been a shark attack at winki (like 2 km down the beach) and that the man was lucky to escape with his life.
i went down to the beach that day and i saw the two guards, they looked very sheepishly at me.

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sponger here.

I'll be in Tuross for a week, starting next monday. Gonna be sick!

I've surfed, kneeboarded, etc. and it's all great fun, I just prefer bodyboarding.

Boostpig

Likes Bikes
Lid eh?

Bodyboarding, surfing, stand up paddlers and goat boats, its all the same. As long as people are having fun in the water and respect the ocean, it's awesome.

Here is a picture from two years ago. It's a small day at Creacent head point.

I live here go surfing just about everyday seen many sharks around the area but mainly away from the main surfing beaches.

Arete

Likes Dirt
Closest I've come to surfing was diving at Sount Maroubra on a weekend, I finished the dive with a fair bit of air spare so I just sat under the surfers watching for about 15min. Was pretty cool but looking at you all from the shark's angle I couldn't help but think all those legs dangling in the water probably do look tasty :p

murrum

Banned
wat a sihk thread
yea bois surfing is my life. i was born in a small surf town in sydney, so i grew up on a beach. i learnt how to surf when i was about 7 and havnt ever lost that feeling from my first wave. i have just gotten back from a surfing camp that was so awsum. few interesting stories was surfing out on a peak off the rocks once. was droppin in on a 6-7 foot face, and out of no where a chick pops out of the water an i ran straight into her. i fell off, and managed to grab hold of her an help her to the rocks. id gone straight into her chest. i took her to the hospital an she had a cracked rib. she apologised non stop it was noones fault just happens.

lookinf forward to more input fellas
Yeah, GNARLY DUUUDE.

WTF? Small town in sydney? Spelling? Punctuation? Pull yourself together son. Put down the tracks mag and step away from the bong...

Oh, and just a reminder folks, stay off ma waves you city slicken ho-dads.

RCOH

Eats Squid
I was right into Bodyboarding from ages of about 10 - 19. I started competing at about 14 and was an original member of the Tamarama Bodyboarding Club. I started surfing with the likes of Beau Day, Jose Marquinas, James & Simon Sweeny, Mat Lohmaier, Marcus Levy and am still friends with most of them today. I have surfed and competed all up the east coast of Australia & in Perth. Some of the best memories I have are of hanging & surfing at tamarama and road tripping to comps.

I still surf when go out of Sydney but it isn't really fun waiting 1/2 an hour for a shit wave that someone will drop in on. Now I mostly ride my brother's mini-mal or fish if I am on the Northern Beaches

Unless Mackenzies bay or Coogee shorey is working then I'll go out.

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Yep i surf every day on central coast nsw. However am surfing less as the quality of waves has quickly deteroirated in the past couple of years:mad:

Anyone else noticed the overall poor quality lately??

Crowds have tripled past few years - why does everyone want to be a surfer?
I reckon it would be a nightmare to learn once you have reached 25yrs old (i am 38 been surfing my whole life and am still progressing)

chillbro

Likes Dirt
Can't waste descent barrels on a stand up.
Are you joking? The only barrel that counts is standing up deep in a pit with your hands above your head and getting spat out in glory.....;)

Na, i know what you mean breaka :) Any shack is a good one!

I never go to city beaches anymore. Way too crowded. Best place in NSW the south coast from Easter through Winter. Have found some awesome breaks and been out all alone.

Yep, city beaches do drive me crazy.

Surfing

I once tried surfing but i quikley found ouy i was shit at it, now all i do is skimboard on practically deserted beaches.:D

Arete

Likes Dirt
Yep i surf every day on central coast nsw. However am surfing less as the quality of waves has quickly deteroirated in the past couple of years:mad:

Anyone else noticed the overall poor quality lately??

Crowds have tripled past few years - why does everyone want to be a surfer?
I reckon it would be a nightmare to learn once you have reached 25yrs old (i am 38 been surfing my whole life and am still progressing)
ENSo is in a La Nina phase - there is a meterological reason for shitty swell on the East Coast in the last 2 years.

MOXAB

Likes Dirt
I don't surf with a board, prefer just to catch waves the natural way. Anyway, I was visiting Coffs and was out really , really early, nobody else on the beach. I'm floating out the back looking over my shoulder at a likely wave rising up behind me (the sun was behind it, just over the horizon) I see this huge, black shape in it, with that characteric vertical fin on the back ..... my heart froze. It swam right at me and then passed a couple of meters away from me, and as it passed (and I sort of fell into the wave)... I saw that it had a horizontal fin. So, I caught a wave with a dolphin, but it still took me half an hour to stop shaking!
I kinda did the same thing (surfing though). Early one morning my mate and I were looking at the swell from our beachhouse and saw a black figure in the water. we went down to the beach to have a closer look and saw if was a seal chasing a school of fish. Anyway that morning we went into town for a while then came back and had a surf. After two hours my mate when and sat on the beach and i stayed out for a while. I was getting ready to catch a wave when i saw this black thing swim past me, I did a double take and looked back at it and the first thing I though was "OH SHIT, SHARK!" because i knew there were some smaller sharks in the area because my dad had almost caught one fishing. I pretty much sat my pants and did the first thing a could think of, catch the first wave back to land. I caught a wave that was just behind me and made a beeline for the shore. After about 15 metres I looked to my left agian and i saw the black shape again but then it rolled over and i saw it's yellowish belly and then i knew it was the seal from early. I was still feaked out later and to make it worse my mate had missed it.

james green

Likes Dirt
well its not surfing that i do im a bodyboreder

but meh its kinda the same

yeah im 100% agreed one of the best things ever ( apart from dh ) is shredding the waves with a couple of mates !!

i have some pics..

Getting some tube :D

360=]

bunya djer n dher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice pics! agreed, bodyboarding is the second best thing.

Was out at currimundi on a 6ft day about 5 months ago, set had just gone through and i was out about 130 metres...with a mate. He caught a wave, so i was all on my own. Next thing BAM...a fucking Male Dugoung starts trying to attack me. I shat my pants, i got onto a smaller wave to the shore.
This creature was massive and it was pissed of something fierce, very scary haha.

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Nice pics! agreed, bodyboarding is the second best thing.

Was out at currimundi on a 6ft day about 5 months ago, set had just gone through and i was out about 130 metres...with a mate. He caught a wave, so i was all on my own. Next thing BAM...a fucking Male Dugoung starts trying to attack me. I shat my pants, i got onto a smaller wave to the shore.
This creature was massive and it was pissed of something fierce, very scary haha.
Thats classic - trying not to start lid rider jokes.... only joking :D

Friend of mine who studying marine science at uni reckons the sandbanks are so bad due to the houses built on the beach - apparently it stops the natural flow of sand,with the sand being dropped on the beach rather than in the water - at Avoca Beach this is quite evident,our banks are CRAP whilst the beach continues grow in size:mad:

RCOH

Eats Squid
I have surfed with dolphins a few times - the best one being at Tamarama in early summer, the water was as clear as a bell and there wre 3 perfect peaks on the beach. A pod of dolphins came in and just swim under us, catching waves and jumping out of the water. It was fantastic.

I also a saw the fin of a Grey Nurse Shark while surfing at Clovelly Bombie.

But the scariest experience I have had on a a board was when I was surfing alone of the poit of O'Hara Island, a bit south of Pretty Beach on the NSW. I was a couple of hundred metres out from shore when a fucking whale breached about 50m away from me! I automatically shout it was the biggest shark in the world and got the next wave I could to the rocks. After me heart went back into my chest and my breathing slowed a paddled back out to the point and just watched it.

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
Bodyboarder here ahead of MTBing for me. Usually try and ride on a Saturday and find a wave on a Sunday. If no waves I go in search of dinner with a speargun :)

brusier

Likes Dirt
Im a bodyboarder myslef, nothing better that waking early for a surf.. it is the best part of the day by far... no crouds, no kooks and glassy as all hell...

here me like afew weeks ago at winki... manly