Suspension issues

Hi, I am pretty new to MTB. I have a 2017 Trek Fuel ex5, it all I could afford at the time. When it was about 8 month old the rear shock (rock shox RL deluxe) failed and wouldn't lock out and was repaired under warranty. 1 year on it has done it again. Do I persist with it and have it repaired again or look for something different?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi, I am pretty new to MTB. I have a 2017 Trek Fuel ex5, it all I could afford at the time. When it was about 8 month old the rear shock (rock shox RL deluxe) failed and wouldn't lock out and was repaired under warranty. 1 year on it has done it again. Do I persist with it and have it repaired again or look for something different?
Take it back, doesnt hurt to try, I reckon they will sort it out.

Flow-Rider

Burner
If they don't want to come to the party of repairing it, you can take it to a suspension repair centre and ask for a quote on repairs and weigh up the repair price against replacement price.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It does sound a lot like you need a new bike.

Have trek used some magical proprietary mounting/spacing/stroke/similar for this shock? If not replacements are often easy to find both new or used for not too much money. One does need to be cautious when the upgrading bug bights though...overcapitalising wouldn't be wise.

Brow

Big Block
It does sound a lot like you need a new bike.

Have trek used some magical proprietary mounting/spacing/stroke/similar for this shock? If not replacements are often easy to find both new or used for not too much money. One does need to be cautious when the upgrading bug bights though...overcapitalising wouldn't be wise.
Doesn't overcapitalising, bling and N+1 all go hand in hand with being a MTBer?

Does sound like a warranty option first while looking around for the new bike.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Pretty sure SRAM (who own RockShox) offers a standard 2 year warranty on all products. Sounds like you might still be covered, and even if it’s just over 2 years since you bought the bike they will often still look after you. If the shop you bought the bike from isn’t interested in helping you contact SRAM Australia directly and explain that it’s the second time it’s failed.

sossy

Saucier
Already looking. It certainly will not be another Trek.
This always interests me, a product which has been specced on a bike but is not produced by the bike manufacturer fails, and people don’t want to buy another bike from bike manufacturer x.

I understand it’s frustrating, and if there’s other reasons then all good, but to write off a brand entirely be it Trek, Giant or YT because of a part made by another company seems a little horse before the cart to me.

As mentioned, speak to your store, of no joy there hit up SRAM Australia.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
In my one experience, Rock Shox are fantastic for warranty, give it a go.

I blew the damper oil bladder out of 6 month old SID forks. The replaced the RL damper cartridge with a RLC cartridge, no questions, no charge, all within a week including shipping Adelaide to Melbourne and back.

It's the one department SRAM haven't fucked up.

This always interests me, a product which has been specced on a bike but is not produced by the bike manufacturer fails, and people don’t want to buy another bike from bike manufacturer x.

I understand it’s frustrating, and if there’s other reasons then all good, but to write off a brand entirely be it Trek, Giant or YT because of a part made by another company seems a little horse before the cart to me.

As mentioned, speak to your store, of no joy there hit up SRAM Australia.
Yeah, has been other issues besides the suspension. Even though it is a low spec bike I expected better.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Does the shock work without lockout turned on?
Do you ride a lot of road or firetrail? I can't remember the last time I used lockout, just can't be bothered twiddling, and I'm sure all of my/our bikes have it.

It has always seemed to me that lockout would have to be hard on a shock. Instead of giving in and complying, it has to resist like billyo. Make like an iron bar. Can't imagine that's not stressing the crap out it.

If the warranty thing is a no no, maybe send the shock off to Cyclinic or NSD, or similar, for a rebuild and tune 'em up. It will probably come back better than stock.

Flow-Rider

Burner
All shocks these days have some type of circuit to blow off excess pressure so that it doesn't damage anything on big hits.

It's most likely the IFP pressure in the shock has leaked and it allows the oil to cavitate.