Suspension Setup Sag/Travel

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This bit of the seat tube is poor design IMO. It doesn't really allow for any extra dropper post insertion depth as there's no way a cable can turn that tight a radius and still function, but severely hampers shock choice. The other clearances are snug but at least leave some options possible.
5352772B-1065-4287-AB73-FD126CACDCE9.jpeg

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
This bit of the seat tube is poor design IMO. It doesn't really allow for any extra dropper post insertion depth as there's no way a cable can turn that tight a radius and still function, but severely hampers shock choice. The other clearances are snug but at least leave some options possible.
The seat angle is slack, not sure where it stops but it definitely limits the insertion for longer posts on the L and XL. Might be standoff with the shock clearance.

Faaak know how many attempts they had at getting all their wish list items on to one frame.

5352772B-1065-4287-AB73-FD126CACDCE9.jpeg

ozzybmx

No brake upgrade anytime soon. o_O
XT quads on 220mm rotors are great.

Hadn't intended to change anything, it was working alright as is.

Rotors are a bit flimsy and will be changed when the new ones arrive.

Will swap the Sram shifter/derailleur to XT at some stage as single shifting is crap on a bike that you need to get off the power to shift... or trash the drivetrain.

Shock hopefully fits fingers crossed. Thanks to @Mattyp for giving me the option to ship it back if it doesn't.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

This gives a good indication of how much clearance you don't have (for those interested).
Nope. I hope it’s an awesome bike for you @ozzybmx but fuck that. If it’s that complicated to get a shock in and out - there’s something wrong with the design.

I want to see the Vorsprung video where Steve takes a deep dive into that setup.

ozzybmx

Nope. I hope it’s an awesome bike for you @ozzybmx but fuck that. If it’s that complicated to get a shock in and out - there’s something wrong with the design.

I want to see the Vorsprung video where Steve takes a deep dive into that setup.
I hadn't seen that video before taking it off so I didn't remove the rear wheel and I had the shock bolt loose and ready to come out, loosened off the pivot bolts, moved the swingarm down, pulled the bolt and screwed the pivot bolts back in.

Probably took me 10 minutes winging it. Wasn't that hard... but fucking around with a shit shock repeatedly would get very annoying.

ozzybmx

@Mattyp looks like you have sold the shock. Deal sealed by the removal of your NZ VB sticker.

I have sent Chuck Ibis the info as he hasn't seen one fitted yet.

More clearance than the X2 that was on there... and up from 155mm to 170mm.

Liking the DVO green on Storm Blue. Might be the push needed to grab the new 180mm Onxy D1 38 and rid myself of Fox yet again.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/dvo-previews-new-onyx-38-fork.html

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

44.jpg

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
@Mattyp looks like you have sold the shock. Deal sealed by the removal of your NZ VB sticker.

I have sent Chuck Ibis the info as he hasn't seen one fitted yet.

More clearance than the X2 that was on there... and up from 155mm to 170mm.

Liking the DVO green on Storm Blue. Might be the push needed to grab the new 180mm Onxy D1 38 and rid myself of Fox yet again.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/dvo-previews-new-onyx-38-fork.html

View attachment 398778

View attachment 398779

View attachment 398780

View attachment 398781
Toight!

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

Would assume you checked clearance at 100% travel too? Looks good, I do love me a Topaz.
Ohhhh noooo... I forgot ;)

Yeah it's good, even hitting the bump stop at 100% the shock guard has about 1mm from hitting the wheel guard. They have tested it with 65mm stroke... on a Fox.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Ohhhh noooo... I forgot ;)

Yeah it's good, even hitting the bump stop at 100% the shock guard has about 1mm from hitting the wheel guard. They have tested it with 65mm stroke... on a Fox.
Do fox (air shocks) have bigger bump stops than other brands?

I've never had a Fox air shock but lots of people with the V2 Smuggler were reporting being able to run their shock at 55mm stroke and still have a few mm of clearance between the rocker and the seat tube.

Tried it with my TriAir and it was contacting the seat tube a few mm before bottom out.

ozzybmx

Do fox (air shocks) have bigger bump stops than other brands?

I've never had a Fox air shock but lots of people with the V2 Smuggler were reporting being able to run their shock at 55mm stroke and still have a few mm of clearance between the rocker and the seat tube.

Tried it with my TriAir and it was contacting the seat tube a few mm before bottom out.
Not sure but the Fox shock was only 60mm stroke, giving the rear 155mm.

The DVO is 65mm giving 170mm rear.

Last edited: